Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Golf ball with water!!!!!!!!!!Any advise???

Hi everyone haven't posted in a while, I went and had my second fill because I thought I was eating more. Something was trying to tell me I shouldn't get this fill. I went in Monday the 10th got poked 5 times Dr. couldn't find the right spot. So I had to go back in on Wednesday to have it done with floro, well on my way I got stuck in traffic for a hour. There was a bad accident one of the figure skaters in town for the competion was in a roll over and her mother was killed. It was awful.

Well the doctor was still able to do my fill. It went well I even got pictures. I drank 2 small cups of Water before I left, seemed to be ok. The Dr. said take it easy on liquids for the day so I did. The next morning tried to drink coffee had some trouble but not to bad. Then I had a couple bites of a yogurt and a piece of protien bar and that wasn't to bad. One of the girls in the office brought in some crispy bacon from our snack bar. So I had 2 small slices. Oh my god thought I was going to die. I pb'd about 4 times then it was better. Didn't eat anything else for the day, couldn't even drink without the golf ball feeling. Today is the same I have pb'd about 6 times and I can get very little down. Any suggestions on what to do? I can't get back in until Monday. I am fine as long as I don't eat or drink. Any advise ????

It sounds like you need a slight unfill as soon as possible. It's certainly not practical to not be able to eat or drink. Please take care of yourself. Just removing 0.2cc can make all the difference in the world. Sounds like you best stick to liquids until you see your dr. and get that unfill. Will his office be closed for MLK day? Best of luck to you!

I sure hope you are feeling better. Please call your doctor.

Adding on to this, I am getting a bit nervous about the PBing. When this happens is it hard to breath? I get choked really easy and I am scared of strangling on the slime you guys talk about. It has just really started worrying me today. Nothing else about the surgery scares me. Not being put out, not the surgery pain. But the pain of PBing or having something stuck or strangling or having an asthma attack scares me really bad.

This past Christmas night, I was eating some popcorn, first bite, I choked, and Hubby did the Heimlich and then I went into a severe asthma attack. No air was moving at all. Had to call medics. After a breathing treatment I was finally okay. But I was really scared this time. Normally I can handle it, but I thought this was the "big" one.

Any help or advice or reasurance would be so appreciated.

Vicki in Indy

I so hope that they are in on Monday. I am going to see how tomorrow goes and I will probably call. I am miserable trying to keep some fluids in but having a real hard time. Thanks for the support.

I was afraid of the whole PB thing and the slime but it is really way better than vomiting. Right now it is the only thing that gives me relief.

Sure glad you were both here to respond. Takes my mind off it.

Thanks

If you are still having trouble tomorrow. Call the surgeons service and see who is taking his calls. Someone should be able to help you. Don't wait until Monday if you don't have to.

Are you keeping any fluids down?

YOu don't want to get dehydrated.

I hope you get relief soon. LIKE NOW.....that is my hope for you.

Vicki in Indy

Vicky, I get choked easy and have asthma. But I haven't noticed either increased my chances of pbing. Nor, when I have pb'd, has it led to a coughing spell or asthma. Pbing is usually caused from eating too fast and/or too big a bite. We need to take our time between each bite and chew the smithereens out of it before we swallow! A too tight fill can cause pbing also, and is relieved by a slight unfill. On the choking, have you ever been checked for gastric reflux? (Just a thought.) There is a thread here on lifestyle changes to help deal with and avoid reflux, "Reflux, Esophagual Gastric Reflux." You can find it under "Search". Good luck to you on your banding quest!

Kathy stay on liquids until Monday..warm liquids seem to open you up alittle more then colder liquids too..

You esophagus is irritated, so you will continue to PB if you eat solids. After every PB I was told to do liquids for atleast 24 hours. Rest your esophagus over the weekend.

Kathy please tell us how you are later today. I have to say that sounds like an extremely hard weekend to go through. BUT I heard in our support groups that fills sometimes take several days to get used to the renewed tightness. That they even have a little more give days later. Those that had them decreased where less happy weeks later than those whom toughed it out while they adjusted. I think the warm liquids is the best advise given thus far & I just bet you'll be doing much better by Sunday nite/Monday morn. Of course if its unbearable there should be a doc on call from the office to help. Occupy your weekend as much as possible, it will fly by:cool:

Marie,

Thanks for the response. Yes I do have GERD and I take Previcid for it daily.

Kathy Hope you are feeling better today.

Kathy-

First, if you could drink Water after the fill, you're going to be fine. You're probably just really swollen and need to give your stomach a break for a few days. I *always* have this happen after a fill. If I PB, it makes it 10 times worse because then I REALLY get swollen ( and then I have to do liquids for three days at least!!). It also didn't help that you got shocking news right after that can make you an emotional mess and that affects the band, too, as we all know.

You don't need to panic and get an unfill...you worked too hard to get this fill so give it a few days. What I would recommend, as I always do when people get tight- is sip water...don't drink it. Make it warm Water. No coffee or tea- could cause reflux. Sip sip sip all day long. Then eat only cream Soups for a day or two. I sound like a broken record and pretty soon everyone's going to call me "Megan the cream Soup pusher" but it worked for me so I know it works. Cream Soup is heavier than water so it flows through the band without needing as much help from the esophogus.

If you try this for the next few days and then go to mushies and have trouble or reflux, then I bet you do need an unfill. But for now, sip water and eat little spoonfuls of soup.

keep us posted and good luck!

Megan

I agree with Megan and Michelle!

Just going though this with my second fill, I feel "experienced" now!

After my second fill, it has taken me awhile to get adjusted. I would PB, swell, then reflux at night. Vicious cycle!

Sometimes I would even PB on cold Water. Now Ive trained myself to drink my Water at room temp.

My suggestion is to hang in there and see if you can handle getting used to this new restriction.

Its been 6 weeks since my 2nd fill, and just NOW am I getting a REAL sense of what this band is supposed to be doing. I got scared at first, but now Im glad I mulled through it and (hopefully) overcame it.

Good luck.

This over fill thing is probably one of my biggest fill concerns, other than having my band/tube punctured. Right after my fill on the 10th, I did liquids for 24 hrs, then when I did eat, it was tiny bites, very very scared I would pb, (little did I know he missed the port), I kept thinking ok where's that golf ball.

Good morning everyone, had a ruff night. PB'd a few more times. Feeling a little better this morning. Your right Michelle warm stuff seems to do better. Megan I think that may be my problem is being swollen. I will try the tiny sipping for today thanks for the advise. It has been really ruff this last couple of days. I am thinking positive and saying today is going to be much better. And yes I am only doing liquids. Thank you all so much I really needed to hear your advise. Oh and Pat I think I have all the golf balls and trust me you don't want them. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

Doing much better tonight. I have been slow sipping all day. Thanks for

all the great advise. I haven't pb'd all day.

So far so good.