Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble eating and drinking 2 months post-op

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice from someone who's gone down this path ahead of me. I'm two months and a few days post op and I am seriously struggling with eating or drinking anything. I have to force myself to eat or drink at all. If left to my own devices, I would prefer to not eat and to just sip Water occasionally. Eating seems like too much of a hassle and a pain. (I know - This is stupid: I'm trying) There are a couple of other things at play: I had blood clots that blocked and partially blocked off multiple veins to my liver post-op and ended back in the hospital for a week, two weeks after surgery. I am now on blood thinners. The second thing is that I am in the midst of a workplace bullying situation. I am going for interviews and have complained to HR, but this is a HUGE stress right now.

So, I am not sleeping, I'm crying every day, I feel nauseous most of the time. I throw up regularly when I eat. I am weak and dizzy regularly. I am not drinking enough water during the week as I am flat out at work. I am trying to experiment with new and different food to what is making me sick now, but not having the best of luck so far. I know what I should be doing (drink that water, eat that protein) but I feel like exhausted garbage, so I seem to just sleep or hold my nose and drink some of the million types of Protein Shakes, Soups or water flavours that I have. The Protein liquids are making me sick too. I vomit them up as I am so sick of their taste. Hence the holding my nose when I do drink them.

My dietician is worried about me. She's asked me to focus on one thing in this next 2 weeks - I said "Water and vitamins" as I'm so flat out that I forget to take my Vitamins half the time. (I know - so ridiculous).

I'm going to quit my job tomorrow. My agency can get me some temp work to cover the bills and my family has said they'd support me if I ran into trouble finding something else immediately. I'm hoping that this is just the stress of the work situation getting to me. I am hoping that once I am free of that problem, that I will be able to focus again and stick to my organisation plans.

Has anyone else run into something like this? Do you have any advice? I feel like I don't know what to do. I'm so overwhelmed right now.

awhhh,this is all so terrible,so much to b going thru on top of the normal things everyone seems to experience.i haven’t had the sleeve done yet but hoping for april so i dont have the expertise that some of these veterans do.im sorry u had to quit ur job but it sounds like it was not a good situation & just adding to ur stress.did ur nut give u any new suggestions on what to try?i agree w staying hydrated first & liquid vitamins or patch so u dont get dehydated & wind up bk in hospital.im sure some of the others on this forum can give u some different brands & foods/recipes to try that may taste better.it all sounds like its all stress related & the vicious circle going round & round w not getting enough nutrients & therefore being so tired & then depressed,all affecting the other.u need to try to take care of yourself or u wont b able to take care of anyone else or anything at ur work,u may need to take a week or 2 off & rely on ur family or close friends til u get this under control.i truly feel for u & will keep u in my prayers.so sorry u are going thru this[emoji20]

You are exhausted on so many levels darling.

You must get some liquids in or you will get sick from dehydration. I fear you are on your way to that already. Try some hot tea first thing in the morning, even put a half teaspoon of honey in it.

The shakes sucked for me after surgery as well, for all the same reasons you list. I had the smell aversion thing as well and no desire for food either. I could only tolerate ready-made Isopure punch or blue raspberry diluted with crystal light. But homemade potato Soup made with chicken Bone Broth and minced canned chicken was tolerated if I ate very slowly. Find two things you can tolerate and stick with it until you calm down and progress.

I am glad you are quitting the toxic job environment and that you have family support - use it while you need to focus on your health.

Keep us informed. Hang in there.

The most important thing is to get in your liquid. Find some liquid you can tolerate. Minimum of 6 cups a day but try for at least 8 cups. Until you do you will continue to feel really bad, weak, and dizzy. And it will only get worse. Some people find it easier to drink broth or flavored water. Or maybe try ginger tea. Try different things until you find something that helps. There are anti-nausea pills your doctor can prescribe to help.

Focus on you, not the bullying. You'll be at a different job soon and you won't have to deal with it anymore. Their bullying is a reflection on them, not you. Until then distract yourself with taking care of yourself. This job stuff is just a temporary situation. Focus on getting your liquids and Protein in, eating healthy and getting to a good place, mentally and physically.

Thank you so much for your replies and your care. This means a lot right now. I'm getting ready for work and tearing up reading these. Thank you.

Hi all,
Just looking for some advice from someone who's gone down this path ahead of me. I'm two months and a few days post op and I am seriously struggling with eating or drinking anything. I have to force myself to eat or drink at all. If left to my own devices, I would prefer to not eat and to just sip Water occasionally. Eating seems like too much of a hassle and a pain. (I know - This is stupid: I'm trying) There are a couple of other things at play: I had blood clots that blocked and partially blocked off multiple veins to my liver post-op and ended back in the hospital for a week, two weeks after surgery. I am now on blood thinners. The second thing is that I am in the midst of a workplace bullying situation. I am going for interviews and have complained to HR, but this is a HUGE stress right now.
So, I am not sleeping, I'm crying every day, I feel nauseous most of the time. I throw up regularly when I eat. I am weak and dizzy regularly. I am not drinking enough Water during the week as I am flat out at work. I am trying to experiment with new and different food to what is making me sick now, but not having the best of luck so far. I know what I should be doing (drink that water, eat that protein) but I feel like exhausted garbage, so I seem to just sleep or hold my nose and drink some of the million types of Protein Shakes, Soups or water flavours that I have. The Protein liquids are making me sick too. I vomit them up as I am so sick of their taste. Hence the holding my nose when I do drink them.
My dietician is worried about me. She's asked me to focus on one thing in this next 2 weeks - I said "Water and vitamins" as I'm so flat out that I forget to take my Vitamins half the time. (I know - so ridiculous).
I'm going to quit my job tomorrow. My agency can get me some temp work to cover the bills and my family has said they'd support me if I ran into trouble finding something else immediately. I'm hoping that this is just the stress of the work situation getting to me. I am hoping that once I am free of that problem, that I will be able to focus again and stick to my organisation plans.
Has anyone else run into something like this? Do you have any advice? I feel like I don't know what to do. I'm so overwhelmed right now.

I’m struggling a bit to get my food in so today I mixed some unflavored Protein power in with my Decaf coffee with Splenda and non dairy Creamer. It’s water and protein! Winner! The trick is to let the coffee cool to 140 before you can put Protein Powder or it curdles up. I added a scoop then mixed it with a fork. Good luck with your new job when it comes. Fresh starts are amazing [emoji6]

I’m so sorry to hear about all the outside factors effecting you and your health.

Have you tried Bone Broth? It’s like broth but has Protein as well, so it’s a win-win. At our Whole Foods, Pacific makes small containers of chicken and turkey bone broth that have either lemongrass, ginger or sage. Ginger Water can help with nausea too. Just grate or cut up pieces of fresh ginger and add to your water, you can let it sit overnight for a more intense flavor.

I hope you start feeling better soon!

I experienced workplace bullying three years ago. Devastating experience. Had to seek therapy. You will get through this. I hope you did quit!! Best thing you could do!