Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a bit of a mental debate with myself about wether I should be completely honest with this doctor because I have an extensive mental health history. I have been involved with mental health people for more than 15 years so I kind of know what they want to hear. I opted for honesty because my anxiety levels are insane lately. The woman did not "turn me down" for the gastric bypass surgery but she added another friggin diagnosis. Apparently, I have a binge eating disorder. This worries me because I fear that my insurance company (I have pretty decent insurance) will say that with such an issue the surgery would be wasted on me. I just need a chance...some help... I messed myself up, I'm fully to blame for becoming such an overweight person, and I feel awful guilty for what I've done to myself. I believe that I could make the most of a second chance at life but I'm not sure my insurance would believe that. I'm anxious and depressed which makes me want to eat which would make me more anxious and depressed which will make me want to eat... It's an awful cycle... I don't even know where I'm going with this. I guess I just needed to get some of this out...

Thanks for reading. Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-J327P using BariatricPal mobile app

Let's just stop the blame game right and here and right now. I stopped the blame game today when everything sunk in and I realized just how fragile I am. You know we are only living because of an intricate bio-chemical process that's protected by a perilously thin layer of skin. This means we need to make the best of our circumstances, not berate ourselves for them. This is going to be my 3rd weight loss program. I've been up and down 100+ pounds twice before and each time I regained the weight and blamed myself. Self-blame is something so easy to get mired in and difficult to get out of. The only thing that matters now is your journey up to, and past, your surgery date. My date is effectively a week away and I've got my eyes on it.

If it helps I am 40 years old and lived most of my life overweight. Dating is very difficult when you don't look good and/or feel good. I've only had two girlfriends in my life, and it was the second one whom I fell in love with. When that ended, I packed on the weight I had lost really quickly. As Abe Lincoln was fond of saying, "It is not the years of your life that count, it is the life in your years." I haven't had much life in those years and I am determined to change that. The past does not matter any more.

I had a bit of a mental debate with myself about wether I should be completely honest with this doctor because I have an extensive mental health history. I have been involved with mental health people for more than 15 years so I kind of know what they want to hear. I opted for honesty because my anxiety levels are insane lately. The woman did not "turn me down" for the gastric bypass surgery but she added another friggin diagnosis. Apparently, I have a binge eating disorder. This worries me because I fear that my insurance company (I have pretty decent insurance) will say that with such an issue the surgery would be wasted on me. I just need a chance...some help... I messed myself up, I'm fully to blame for becoming such an overweight person, and I feel awful guilty for what I've done to myself. I believe that I could make the most of a second chance at life but I'm not sure my insurance would believe that. I'm anxious and depressed which makes me want to eat which would make me more anxious and depressed which will make me want to eat... It's an awful cycle... I don't even know where I'm going with this. I guess I just needed to get some of this out...

I think most of us binge eat including myself in the past just got sleeved feb 9

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, GayGirlLivingForHer said:

First of all I truly admire that you chose to be so forthcoming and honest. What strength that takes. I only hope i can find it:) I am so happy that you are facing your walls and preparing the journey to tear them all down and become the new you!! I know i binge eat. I think i do it mostly out of boredom and I am bored because i feel I am no longer healthy enough to get out and do the things i used to do because the weight i have gained holds me down like a ton of concrete. It is a viscous cycle but one I am ready to break!

I hope you are feeling better and hope you keep in touch with me!! Would love to talk any time!!

I can tell you that I binge eat, when I returned back to work after my 6 weeks off it was something that I mentally was not prepared for. I had an OVERWHELMING urge to binge eat, maybe its from the stress. I am not sure, but one thing I can tell you is that it was something I had to and still have to work on, ESPECIALLY on weekends when we have some of my favorite Breakfast foods! Yes I absolutely love breakfast! But that being said I personally had to get my head in the game and learn how to say no and limit myself. Surgery as well as the pre and post op diet helped me do that. You know where you are weak, or will soon find out! Just do your best to move forward and make progress, you will be fine as long as you start working the plan and abide by the rules. I have faith in you! :D

I can't imagine a diagnosis of binge eating is going to be a disqualifier as long as you've been made aware of it and committed to addressing it. The same goes for things like depression: Awareness is half the battle. You've got nothing to worry about.