Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared that I am not going to be able to stop eating comfort foods.

I had chipotle for lunch today and I feel so guilty. I haven’t even had my surgery yet. I have 4 weeks and have been having last supper syndrome. I need some perspective as to what others have done before surgery.

A lot of comfort foods suck after surgery. bread, for instance...gets stuck and feels awful for a long while. Sugary or other low glycemic carb foods might make you a little nauseated.

Comfort food might not be a comfort at all anymore.

You'll find yourself craving salad. It's wild. And kinda cool. And disturbing when food no longer has the power to make you feel better.

Lot to get used to.

Guilt doesn't help. Waking up each day and trying your hardest....does. Only dead things float down stream....keep swimming upstream.

I spent the entirety of my six month insurance required pre-op diet program following a Keto way of eating. I lost 100 pounds during that time, but, more importantly, I redefined my relationship with food which is the only way weight loss will be successful and sustainable long term, surgery or not.

I have always been so thankful for spending that time, because post-op, your body is desperately trying to heal. I can't imagine how much harder it would have been to deal with the physical pain and challenges that existed after surgery while having to redefine my relationship with food at the same time.

My advice is to try to start at least thinking about eating the way you should eat post-op. You'll thank yourself later.

Totally agree with @Creekimp13. You won't want the same foods after surgery. I cringe at the site of anything sweet.

1 hour ago, saranimal said:

I had chipotle for lunch today and I feel so guilty. I haven’t even had my surgery yet. I have 4 weeks and have been having last supper syndrome. I need some perspective as to what others have done before surgery.

One word of advice - don't chase the perfect "last meal" prior to surgery. Even if you think you've come up with the perfect meal you'll end up wishing/wanting something else the next day. Truth is in time you will get cravings for old comfort foods. Some I have from time to time and have no issue with. Others I haven't even bothered with. Moderation is the key for anything in life. Naturally you'll want to stick to plan as much as possible through the honeymoon phase.

On the other side you'll be so excited at seeing results that it will help you stick to plan. It's when things taper off and you hit some stalls that it will be more difficult. Those are the times that test you. Don't go at it with the sadness of "I've never going to eat these things again" and feel like it's the end of the world. For me dollar menu burgers from McDonald's was at least a weekly thing for me before surgery. Haven't had one now in over a year and don't really care about it. Sure I get a craving for one every now and then, but I still get those cravings to have a smoke and it's been like 6 years since I quit smoking.

Long story short don't worry about it so much. This is the time to take a good hard look at your relationship with food, and yes, it can be eye opening at how much control it has in our lives.

1 hour ago, saranimal said:

You won't stop eating foods for comfort in the long run. This "food is just for fuel"-schlock is a completely unrealistic perspective some people seem to have when it comes to surgery.

food and eating is supposed to bring us pleasure - we are hardwired to it. Even the so-called normal eaters who're thin eat for comfort and pleasure. It's just a matter of how often and how much (and with how often and how much you can get away with this behavior without facing the consequences).

As for taste preferences: they might change or they might not change. Mine didn't change. I wouldn't place a bet on it. Learn to ride that emotional eating dragon because you won't be able to kill it.

For me, a considerable part of my motivation for not going back to previous eating habits is actually the sheer amount of money I've been able to save not eating out since before and after my surgery. I would eat lunch and dinner out several times a week which made losing weight and saving money difficult. :D

Your body will also help you through the process - I still find myself craving sweet things from time to time, but I'm also satisfied with just a bite and not the bag.

24 minutes ago, summerset said:

You won't stop eating foods for comfort in the long run. This "food is just for fuel"-schlock is a completely unrealistic perspective some people seem to have when it comes to surgery.

food and eating is supposed to bring us pleasure - we are hardwired to it. Even the so-called normal eaters who're thin eat for comfort and pleasure. It's just a matter of how often and how much (and with how often and how much you can get away with this behavior without facing the consequences).

As for taste preferences: they might change or they might not change. Mine didn't change. I wouldn't place a bet on it. Learn to ride that emotional eating dragon because you won't be able to kill it.

Respectfully, I disagree with almost everything you said. Most of the comfort foods I used to love I look at now and just kind of wonder why I was so hung up on them. food for fuel is almost a mantra for me. I check my macro's throughout the day before deciding what I will have next. If I am low on carbs prior to lifting, packet of oatmeal. If I am low on Protein come dinner time, piece of meat or Protein Bar. Food is meant to keep us alive, the companionship of a meal can be pleasurable though.

Taste preferences is where I will agree with you though. My tastes changed drastically while people I know have zero change in their tastes. As for beating emotional eating, you may be right that you can't kill it. But you can learn to recognize it and stop before it becomes a problem.

(this is the same person as the OP just a different profile I didn't realize I made 2 lol oops)

anyway I am just scared that I am not going to be able to break this habit. does everyone feel this way?

1 minute ago, Saranimal83 said:

(this is the same person as the OP just a different profile I didn't realize I made 2 lol oops)

anyway I am just scared that I am not going to be able to break this habit. does everyone feel this way?

You have to make it a priority. If you want to be successful, you have to break the habit. You have to change your relationship with food. You have to get more active.

If you don't do these things, you won't be successful long term. Bottom line. I've seen it over and over again on BP and in real life (including with my entire family). If you don't feel like you can do this on your own, I'd suggest finding a therapist who has experience working with bariatric patients.

What's more important, your health or random food?

What @BigViffer said, food doesn't have that 'pull' anymore, sure I indulge a bite or two but mainly realize that my body really needs fuel that makes me feel better. And a lot of nonnutritive foods no longer call me - I don't eat Pasta or rice any more or sandwiches - bread doesn't feel good nor Pizza Crust. And if I don't get my Protein and liquids in, I am lethargic. It is a learning experience and kinda cool if you use it right.

3 hours ago, saranimal said:

These are pretty natural feelings. I am fighting them myself, especially because food is like an anti-depressant to me. I've heard though that things drastically change with surgery and I am a cold turkey guy. I make the changes when I have to. I have 6 days until I begin my pre-op diet. Both dreading and welcoming it.

You have to make it a priority. If you want to be successful, you have to break the habit. You have to change your relationship with food. You have to get more active.
If you don't do these things, you won't be successful long term. Bottom line. I've seen it over and over again on BP and in real life (including with my entire family). If you don't feel like you can do this on your own, I'd suggest finding a therapist who has experience working with bariatric patients.
What's more important, your health or random food?

My health no doubt. I know in my heart I can do this. My brain on the other hand needs a little kick in the a$$

2 minutes ago, Saranimal83 said:

My health no doubt. I know in my heart I can do this. My brain on the other hand needs a little kick in the a$$

The mental battle is far worse than the physical battle, in my opinion. That's why you'll be better off to get started on that as soon as you can. It's hard to deal with the physical recovery and be brand new to that mental battle at the same time...