Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unsure, need help

Start an exercise routine now. You may lose motivation during your pre op diet but do as much as you can. That way, after you have recovered it will be easier for you to get back to that routine. Start cutting out bad habits now. If you drink soda start weaning yourself off. If you tend to eat lots of sugar start decreasing now. It will help you a ton post op!! The pre op diet sucks but so does the post op so be prepared. This is not easy!! And don’t expect to lose some crazy amount in your first month. Some people do, some people don’t. I have been on a stall for 3 weeks and I’m almost 5 weeks post op. I’ve learned from others that this is pretty normal but I wish I would have been more prepared for it. Although I haven’t lost as much as I thought I would have by now I am happy I did the surgery. I love being able to eat a tiny bit and feel full. I admit though that emotions after surgery tend to be a roller coast ride. Some great days and some not so great!

Start an exercise routine now. You may lose motivation during your pre op diet but do as much as you can. That way, after you have recovered it will be easier for you to get back to that routine. Start cutting out bad habits now. If you drink soda start weaning yourself off. If you tend to eat lots of sugar start decreasing now. It will help you a ton post op!! The pre op diet sucks but so does the post op so be prepared. This is not easy!! And don’t expect to lose some crazy amount in your first month. Some people do, some people don’t. I have been on a stall for 3 weeks and I’m almost 5 weeks post op. I’ve learned from others that this is pretty normal but I wish I would have been more prepared for it. Although I haven’t lost as much as I thought I would have by now I am happy I did the surgery. I love being able to eat a tiny bit and feel full. I admit though that emotions after surgery tend to be a roller coast ride. Some great days and some not so great!

Thank you sooooo much for this info. Right now I'm at the gym twice a week. Once for a Barre class and once with a trainer. I am going back to Protein Shakes for 2 meals. That should help I think. I need to up my gym days to 3-4 times a week even if it's just to use the treadmill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Be careful of 'all or nothing' thinking or 'magical' thinking. This is a tool, a tremendous one but it requires your whole being to work with it. The changes are huge.

DO NOT go crazy with 2 shakes and a meal plan right now, please. Make some gradual permanent changes in regular food choices, you will be on a liquid diet for sure post-op and likely pre-op, and be so sick of Protein Shakes. Just wean from all soda - take a month to do it, then wean from sugar laden foods, fast foods, deep fried foods, etc. - a gradual permanent change. Then caffeine - go half and half, then Decaf. Examine why you stress eat or emotional eat - you will need to find out how to cope with thst without food as comfort. Journal food intake, use a free app like myfitnesspal or baritastic, etc.

As for upping the gym time, again no balls to the wall, make it fit your lifestyle or you will just abandon it as soon as the newness bores you, or it becomes a chore - it has to serve you well, forcing it will make you dread going. Slow permanent changes that fit your life. Exercise can be an activity and not just the gym, biking, dancing, hiking - social events bring more satisfaction.

I gave up soda first, then caffeine, then fries, etc. I just joined the gym a month ago, but I have square danced for years and I love hiking. I started with walking with a fitbit during pre-op to see how much I was actually getting in daily. Good luck.

Just replaced my old fit bit with fitbit blaze. I love the 2 classes and sometimes zumba that I do already. I've decided I need to up my Water intake. I've been lax on that lately. I'm trying to cut back on coffee or move to Decaf. That will be hard

Thank you sooooo much for this info. Right now I'm at the gym twice a week. Once for a Barre class and once with a trainer. I am going back to Protein Shakes for 2 meals. That should help I think. I need to up my gym days to 3-4 times a week even if it's just to use the treadmill.

You are doing awesome. My tips are all things I wish I would have done. I paid out of pocket so I didn’t have to do the 3-6 months with a dietician. From the first appointment with my doctor to surgery day was 14 days. I did a 10 day pre op diet where I cut out caffeine, had two Protein shakes and a small low carb meal. It was hard! The first 3 weeks of the post op diet were really hard for me too. Now that I’m almost 5 weeks post op my diet is much easier. I have been on soft foods for 2 weeks and can now start eating anything I want, slowly of course. I do agree with the person who posted after me, I wouldn’t go crazy with the protein shakes because you will get tired of them quickly when that’s all you can eat!!

You are doing awesome. My tips are all things I wish I would have done. I paid out of pocket so I didn’t have to do the 3-6 months with a dietician. From the first appointment with my doctor to surgery day was 14 days. I did a 10 day pre op diet where I cut out caffeine, had two Protein shakes and a small low carb meal. It was hard! The first 3 weeks of the post op diet were really hard for me too. Now that I’m almost 5 weeks post op my diet is much easier. I have been on soft foods for 2 weeks and can now start eating anything I want, slowly of course. I do agree with the person who posted after me, I wouldn’t go crazy with the protein shakes because you will get tired of them quickly when that’s all you can eat!!