Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you keep from regaining weight and stretching stomach?

Thanks, All.

Regaining is my new fear.

I’m not a daytime grazer. My problem area is when I walk in the door from work. Instead of sitting down for an actual meal, I pick and pick and pick. I know I need to stop that. I’m going to try having a late afternoon snack like a yogurt or Protein Bar to keep from being so hungry when I walk in the door.

I agree...it’s so easy to say, “I’ll get back on track tomorrow.” Another habit to stop.

And the list continues...!

On 2/18/2018 at 10:31 PM, ElseeG said:

How easy is it to regain the weight

@ElseeG

very/too easy:angry:

eat between meals (graze) eat large portions/2nd helpings

eat lots of sweets - processed foods - all the "wrong"/unhealthy

type of foods - keep your pantry stocked with chips, pretzels etc.

now you know what NOT to eat/do - memorize this info - then

do the opposite to be a success. I know you can!!

good luck bud

kathy

Ok...here’s a devil’s advocate question...then why is this surgery preferable to regular crash dieting?

im asking myself all sorts of questions before taking the plunge...

45 minutes ago, ElseeG said:

Ok...here’s a devil’s advocate question...then why is this surgery preferable to regular crash dieting?

im asking myself all sorts of questions before taking the plunge...

Because any diet (IMO) is basically a short term strategy. Obviously WLS is not a short term thing. It’s a life time decision and commitment and the surgery is still a tool. For me my main issue was Portion Control so the sleeve made sense to me. Can I still graze all day if I choose to? Yes. But that’s what it boils down to – I’m choosing whether I want to eat constantly or not. My doc wants his patients on 3 meals a day with no Snacks. He didn't even want me doing 3 meals and a Protein Shake. In the early months there was simply no way I could eat enough to cover my Protein needs over the course of 3 meals. I've kind of gone back the basics this week. Eating smaller portions and more of them throughout the day. The things I'm eating are good options, though, such as chicken salad, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.

You can't look at it as being a diet. It truly is a lifestyle change. So what do I mean by that? Well for me that meant giving up lots and lots of old habits. It was a daily stop by the gas station for my giant Diet Mt Dew and some pretzels or granola bar. A few times here and there grabbing fast food because I had errands to do after work and wouldn't be home for hours. Now I only stop by the gas station if I actually need to eat because I'm away from home. Instead of getting junk food now I get some beef Jerky and maybe some peanuts. And yes, it's a battle some times to avoid drifting into the other sections and getting something I shouldn't. That's the lifestyle change. I went through all of this for a reason and I don't want to throw all the benefits away.

In my early 20s I got up to 395lbs. It scared me to know how close I was to being 400lbs. Started going to the gym and started to lose some weight. Then I lived at the gym for the next year or two and got down to 265lbs. And then some nerve problems kept me away from the gym and the weight came back on. Then I quit smoking and added some more weight. Then I got a desk job. So here I was years later back up to 355lbs and feeling miserable. I felt out of options and that's why I went with surgery and glad I did. It isn't for everyone and God knows there are thousands and thousands of people out there that have lost weight by dieting alone.

It's good that you're asking these questions. Honestly it's the ones that think they're going to wake up with a smaller stomach after srugery and all their food issues and addictions magically go away.

The thing to remember is that the surgery (whichever one you choose) is merely a supporting player in this journey. In order to be successful long term and maintain a healthy weight, you have to change your relationship with food and make it positive and healthy. I won't repeat everything that has been written. It is obvious that if you make poor choices regarding food and drink, you will either not lose, not get to your goal, or regain immediately.

I started at 400 pounds. I now weigh 173 pounds at 6'0" and have been maintaining for months. That means that I need around 2100 calories per day if I am sedentary. I need about 2400 calories a day if I exercise. I eat between 1900-2000 calories a day (and that is eating every 2 hours all day long -- I couldn't eat more if I tried and I had to work up to that). More importantly, I keep my carbs at 20-25 grams per day, my Protein at about 150 grams per day and (obviously) stay away from bread, rice, Pasta, and sugar. I WILL NOT deviate from those macros -- not for one day, not for one meal, just no.

My way of eating is what keeps everything in check. My stomach is not going to "stretch" (my doctor told me that is a myth anyway), and I will stay at this size. I treat food as fuel, and that has been necessary for me to create the lifestyle I need to be healthy and happy.

Thank you! For me it’s been getting a giant fruit smoothie in the afternoon. After all it’s fruit, right? All of which turns into sugar. So, after gaining more weight I dropped that. Then there’s the pantry at work where they leave leftover platters from meetings...just a bibble. Ok, maybe two. And don’t get me started on nighttime eating

i know I need to break these habits. But by the time I do, the weight is on and then I can’t get it off.

This surgery is costing a small fortune, so I better stick with it! Seriously, I just can’t contibie at this rate. I can’t.

I’m tryibg to follow a post surgery diet in the weeks leading up to surgery. I even made Protein balls last night....next step...dropping wine!!!

Thank you! For me it’s been getting a giant fruit smoothie in the afternoon. After all it’s fruit, right? All of which turns into sugar. So, after gaining more weight I dropped that. Then there’s the pantry at work where they leave leftover platters from meetings...just a bibble. Ok, maybe two. And don’t get me started on nighttime eating
i know I need to break these habits. But by the time I do, the weight is on and then I can’t get it off.
This surgery is costing a small fortune, so I better stick with it! Seriously, I just can’t contibie at this rate. I can’t.
I’m tryibg to follow a post surgery diet in the weeks leading up to surgery. I even made Protein balls last night....next step...dropping wine!!!

Honestly, if you can handle nibbles without eating real portions, an unhealthy snack from time to time can probably keep you on track. I nibble on girl scout Cookies and tim tams sometimes. Others will disagree.

I get a pretty high calorie, high carb, 42 G Protein smoothie maybe once or twice a week but it’s only after burning 600-800 calories in a massive workout and it’s a Meal Replacement.

On 2/18/2018 at 7:31 PM, ElseeG said:

I’m looking at gastric sleeve and have been reading about regaining weight. How easy is it to regain the weight and stretch your stomach?

Your stomach does get a bit bigger over time, but it will never be the size it was prior to surgery.

You can gain back the weight. If a post-surgery sleever chooses calorically-dense (is that a word?) foods that fit in small spaces (think milk shakes, candy, blended coffee drinks, etc.) you can take in too many calories and put it back on.

Edited by HaddocksEyes