Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I work at a movie theater. I am surrounded by free popcorn. This has been a HUGE struggle for me. I have been making poor choices. I am 11 months out.. I need help with ways you all stay on track. I've been balancing between 185-190lbs. I started at 300. I still want to get to 165. Please help with ways that distract you from eating or keep you busy. I have a lot of down time while at work. I even started taking online classes to keep myself busy at work.. lol. but, it's not worked. ANY INFO WOULD HELP!

Whoa girl...I honestly can't help you with the free popcorn dilemna! Wish I could though, I eat popcorn every chance I can! It can be pretty bad! Thus, I couldn't ever work at a movie theatre. Nope, no way. You're brave! I DO HOPE YOU FIND a "cure" :)

As I was typing, I thought... if you allow yourself one small handful, and NO MORE, then you can enjoy that little bit and go on your merry way. BUT, a big BUT...if you cannot discipline yourself...yes, please find an alternative.

Hope someone can chime in here for you!

My suggestion, a small amount once a week as a treat for not giving in all week. You may need to start bringing your own Snacks to work to help keep you pre-occupied. Also, try increasing your Water intake. When I feel full, I do not feel the need to eat.

My suggestion would be to get another job. Sometimes you just need to be ruthless about things like this!!

You could try to change your brain by thinking popcorn is gross, dip or spray it in something you don't like like apple cider vinegar eat a yucky one every day you work after a while you look at it and smell it you think it's yuck

Yeah I’m in the can you find another job camp. Can you? Is that reasonable?

I'm actually having a really hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that people actually suggest changing jobs because someone is eating out of ... what reason? Boredom maybe? As if running away from the problem would eliminate the problem.

Ok, maybe some users have a weird sense of humor and they weren't serious.

Oh wow. That has to be really tough. I know a lot of programs say gum is a no-no but mine is fairly flexible on it in certain situations like to prevent snacking when other options haven't worked so could you try that? If you aren't comfortable with gum then try sugar free mints or drinking peppermint tea. I know if I eat/drink something minty a lot of things taste gross. Could you brush your teeth/use mouthwash during a break...or during every break :) ? That also tends to keep me away from food for awhile.

I'm actually having a really hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that people actually suggest changing jobs because someone is eating out of ... what reason? Boredom maybe? As if running away from the problem would eliminate the problem.
Ok, maybe some users have a weird sense of humor and they weren't serious.

Here’s my reasoning and maybe you can see where I’m coming from.

I’m assuming (and that’s why I said is it a possibility) that a job at a movie theatre is just that, a J-O-B job not a career. There are many similar level jobs (retail?) that aren’t around food. Why not set your environment up for success? Same as keeping trigger foods out of your house. Why not embrace the opportunity to move to a non food-centric job?

If it’s a career not a job, then I withdraw my suggestion. If it’s a job you’re passionate about then learn other coping skills to avoid the popcorn.

And yeah, better to learn those coping skills in the long run, but why not change your environment to better reflect a non food centric lifestyle if it’s possible.

To me that’s changing your environment to promote success not running away from a problem.

I was a salaried manager for over 25 years last being a director of food and beverage in a college dining setting and I cut my salary in half so I could get away from food, (also the long hours, no weekends or holidays off) it was killing me I would lose weight to get a new job get a new job and gain weight over and over again. When you are tempted and it's so easy to have what you are craving some of us are not strong enough to choose the healthy option day after day. That was my first step towards a healthier life and can't wait to have my surgery to help me even more.