Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you consider plastics?

I know it's not time yet. 5'3... down to 147 from 234. I think I have more to go, but hubby thinks lot of its skin. And I know I have to maintain for a period of time. But, at what point did you decide to go ahead with plastics? How did you estimate your costs beforehand? Lol, I wish I could just have an estimate now to plan but I know it's too soon. How did you prepare?

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I considered it as soon as a reached my goal weight and knew that is where I wanted to be, just minus the skin. Some websites have pricing listed, but remember surgeons will give a better rate combining surgeries. Best way to know is to have a consult - but speaking from experience, having the consult makes you want to do it!

My bariatric surgeon set up the appointment with plastics after my one year visit, even though I wasn't at goal. I'm still not quite at goal, but did my first visit to document the skin and issues to trigger insurance coverage. He wants to see me back in May (I still may not be ready) but gave me estimates for both what it would cost with and without coverage, but he's a wizard at getting coverage. I may wait one more year because I'm working on lowering my body fat percentages. (Down to 31.6% as of today - I don't want to have surgery until my body fat is down to about 26 percent.) I'm down about 110 pounds, but look way lighter - I have a lot of muscle. I paid the $45 co pay for the visit and consult.

I doubt I'll ever seek plastics. I have been obese most of my adult life, had 3 children and am 72 years, all 3 would,likely mean I'll be having skin that won't "snap back" into shape. But on the other side I have Dunlap Disease. There's an old joke--the skin on my belly has Dunlap Disease, it's so loose it done laps over. I do have problems with fungal infections in the folds, somebody told me to start collecting photographic evidence, in case my doctors might advise its removal later. Until then I'll look like a shar pei under my clothes.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I had plastics in mind when I got my initial sleeve but waited 2 years post-op to start the process, check out plastic surgeons, get quotes and make a final determination of what I need. I waited a bit more than necessary - have been within a 10 lb range for well over a year - because I wanted to really be sure that I could live with the new lifestyle long term (and avoid regaining) before committing to plastics.

As soon as I reached my goal, and I had arms, breast and lower body lift so far. Thighs in a month or two. Wouldn't change a thing! My surgeon recommended a great plastic surgeon that specializes in post WLS. Talk to your surgeon but with those numbers I would think you are there. Some advocate waiting a year after goal. For me, now way I wanted that skin around!

I plan to talk to my surgeon in couple weeks. My husband says what I think is fat is really more skin. Sou, I've got to talk to him about that and what goal should be. I like to plan things out, so just having an idea helps[emoji4]

I had been told if I ever got to 250 pounds (highest 497) I might be able to have back surgery on my 4 herniated discs and spinal stenosis. After seeing the back Doctor (at 250 pounds) he told me I had to have all my excess skin removed and be at 180 before he would do anything. After I got to 220 I had a consultation with a PS he said he would do a Breast reduction which he did in June and he will be doing a Brachioplast March 19. The PS wants me to get closer to 180 before he does the lower part of my body. At this rate I am not sure when I will get to 180. However sometime in May I do plan to see another Back doctor and see if he might do something for my back before I get all the excess skin removed and get to 180. I truly feel my limited ability to walk is preventing me from getting closer to my 180 goal.

I had been told if I ever got to 250 pounds (highest 497) I might be able to have back surgery on my 4 herniated discs and spinal stenosis. After seeing the back Doctor (at 250 pounds) he told me I had to have all my excess skin removed and be at 180 before he would do anything. After I got to 220 I had a consultation with a PS he said he would do a Breast reduction which he did in June and he will be doing a Brachioplast March 19. The PS wants me to get closer to 180 before he does the lower part of my body. At this rate I am not sure when I will get to 180. However sometime in May I do plan to see another Back doctor and see if he might do something for my back before I get all the excess skin removed and get to 180. I truly feel my limited ability to walk is preventing me from getting closer to my 180 goal.

I can understand that. Some days I still struggle to stand up straight after having three back surgeries already. It's also truly frustrating when you want to be more active but your body won't let you. And my journey isn't nothing compared to yours.i hope you find a way to achieve your goal!

I set up my consults (met with four surgeons and talked to two in Mexico via email) at about 15 months out which was 3 months at goal. Had my plastics at 18 months out.

Here’s the thing.... actually if you can “pinch” more than about .25 to .5 inch then there’s subcutaneous fat. It’s not all skin. When I had mine it was literally almost paper thin.

BUT.... most plastic surgeons expect that subcutaneous fat and will usually do complimentary liposuction to recontour what isn’t skin.

BUT it’s a much harder recovery when you add that in. The bruising and swelling people talk about lasting for months and making them go up a pant size is from that. So you get to pick which works for you! Each has pros and cons!

I had no Lipo and was back in my jeans by a week out. These pics were taken maybe 10 days after surgery and I had a Tummy Tuck, breast lift w augment and an arm lift....IMG_1928.JPG IMG_1926.JPG IMG_1927.JPG

Realself.com is a great site for researching this BYW

I set up my consults (met with four surgeons and talked to two in Mexico via email) at about 15 months out which was 3 months at goal. Had my plastics at 18 months out.

Here’s the thing.... actually if you can “pinch” more than about .25 to .5 inch then there’s subcutaneous fat. It’s not all skin. When I had mine it was literally almost paper thin.

BUT.... most plastic surgeons expect that subcutaneous fat and will usually do complimentary liposuction to recontour what isn’t skin.

BUT it’s a much harder recovery when you add that in. The bruising and swelling people talk about lasting for months and making them go up a pant size is from that. So you get to pick which works for you! Each has pros and cons!

I had no Lipo and was back in my jeans by a week out. These pics were taken maybe 10 days after surgery and I had a Tummy Tuck, breast lift w augment and an arm lift....IMG_1928.JPG.e899575123d73582e011caef6f48a9a5.JPG IMG_1926.JPG.d1749b36ed6c7075c9c2e0b0966ff835.JPG IMG_1927.JPG.f58cf9e06fb8800a0afdc636bba64d9c.JPG

Thanks so much. That's very useful information!

I'm almost 14 months out and got a referral from my surgeon. I saw a plastic surgeon last week for his recommendations. I'm down to 180 - at my surgeon's goal - from 308 surgery weight. The plastic surgeon basically said my extra weight now was mainly excess skin and I won't lose much more without removal. Body lift is what I'm planning first. After that, I want an arm lift and maybe a breast lift at the same time. I put in for insurance coverage for the body lift. They took pictures and documented all my skin problems, so we will see what insurance covers. My surgeon has had good luck with insurance covering a lift, so fingers crossed! I want to get it done in May.