Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Vitamins after surgery????

Hello everyone ,

I need help understanding all this Vitamin regimen. Which Vitamins do we need to intake after surgery ? Which are the best ones? If I take a Multi-Vitamin do I still need to take more vitamins on the side ? please help .

Normally your surgeon will recommend a regimen based upon your procedure.

It was recommended by my surgeon that I take two Multivitamins a day, an Iron with Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin B 12, vitamin b, and Calcium.

I was already B12 and vitamin d deficient so those were not new.

You can take an iron pill with vitamin C called Vitron C if needed.

I had a bypass. Requirements may vary slightly based on surgery and surgeon type and lab work ups.

Edited by KimTriesRNY
Auto incorrect

1 minute ago, KimTriesRNY said:

Normally your surgeon will recommend a regimen based upon your procedure.

It was recommended by my surgeon that I take two Multivitamins a day, an Iron with Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin B 12, Vitamin b1, vitamin d, and Calcium.

I was already B12 and vitamin d deficient so those were not new.

You can take an Iron pill with Vitamin C called Vitron C if needed.

I had a bypass. Requirements may vary slightly based on surgery and surgeon type and lab work ups.

Oh wow !! maybe I should call my dietitian I thought I was only supposed to take 1 Multivitamin . Thanks!!!

Like Kim said, it may be based on your pre surgery labs. I was already Iron deficient...so along with the iron and vit c I was also put on 2 multivitamins a day Vit D/ Calcium combo twice a day.

6 minutes ago, lucylu1313 said:

Oh wow !! maybe I should call my dietitian I thought I was only supposed to take 1 Multivitamin . Thanks!!!

I just dug out my surgeons book. He had no distinction between sleeve and bypass in the Vitamin section. So I do think in the beginning it would be similar with changes coming later based on lab work.

In the beginning you will need chewable vitamins and you should always get sublingual B12.

Good luck!

Hopefully a post op sleever can weigh in on this!

The directions which I received from my surgeon's office for gastric sleeve patients read:

3 Flintstone complete chewable multivitamins daily.

1200 to 1500 mg calcium citrate daily.

500 to 1000 micrograms sublingual B12 weekly.

100 mg. Thiamine (Vitamin B1) weekly.

Probiotic daily recommended but not required.

These requirements were listed on the Discharge Instructions when I left the hospital.

Vitamin chemistry is important for absorption. Calcium supplements should be calcium citrate. There are also different chemistries of B12. I use the sublingual B12 and was told to use methylcobalamin. You cannot use a time-release version of B12. If you are taking Iron supplements, it must be ferrous sulfate for the best absorption. gummy vitamins are not absorbed properly and should be avoided.

Some patients are also required to take iron supplements. Other types of surgeries have very different vitamin requirements.