Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Issues eating 3 months into recovery

My partner had his gastric sleeve surgery in October and is now down to 14.5st from 19st. His ideal weight was 15st. He's finding that he is struggling with solids and is still having to eat puree foods or minced chicken. Although he can eat the odd crisp and low unsalted popcorn if chewed slowly. His taste has changed and he struggles with certain red meats. Has anyone else experienced this at the 3 month stage? He thought he would be further down the line with food by now. His surgeon has said that it is fine and some people just take longer than others. He was also concerned that his weight has still not stabilised. He is taking the high strength Vitamins and his bp is now low and the type 2 diabetes is reversed. He is also having quite a few dumping issues when he tries to eat what he craves at the time. He wonders if it could be psychological that he feels sick after eating certain foods that have caused dumping in the early days. He has a degree in food and nutrition so knows what he needs to eat but his body seems to have other ideas.

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery which is different from gastric sleeve. I found the transition to solid foods such as chicken and steak to be difficult. As a result I relied on softer foods such as chili and Soups. I have included a few recipes at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf There is no need to rush the transition to solids. It is best if your partner just take his time.

[19 st. = 19 stones = 266 pounds, 14.5 st = 203 pounds]

I have heard that people's taste buds change quite dramatically as a result of surgery. Some folks have told me that foods that they used to crave look nauseating now. One guy at a support group that I attended no longer eats red meat because the taste is enough to make him gag and he was a meat and potatoes guy.

Mine have changed drastically as well and it is a struggle to eat most things. Tell him hang in there.

I struggle alot with Proteins. I am also 3 months out. My surgeon told me to add 1 food a day. This way if you feel sick or get dumping syndrome you know from what. I can not do chicken except for canned lightly drained and mashed and you can even make tuna salad with it. I do not have a problem with steak, but it has to be medium ir medium rare and chewed very well. Also is he sticking to waiting before and after to drink? Tuna is ok if it is the chunk light (not the solid white) I cannot do pork at all and I now hate the taste of bacon. What? Yeah, I know! Fish, eh, sometimes, depends. Shrimp no. Ground meat, only ground turkey. But these can be introduced again after 6 months because then our tastes and body will change again. I hope this helps. cheese, nut milk, yogurt and eggs are my go to!

SW 350 (11/15)
BSW 260 (10/17/17)
CW 217.6 (1/22/18)
RGW 199
GW 175

I'm 16 months post op, I can eat soft chicken, pork, seafood - that's it. Anything other animal Protein causes a food sickness. I guess like dumping syndrome but I don't know for sure. First my stomach starts feeling uncomfortable, then I start this breathing thing, then it either stops or gets far worse and I have to go into my room, strip everything off so I have nothing against my abdomen, then I have to get into a position where the uncomfortable-ness is at it's least and then I fall asleep once the breathing subsides. I can sleep for 20 minutes to 10 hours.

My surgeon thinks it's because I eat sugar but it can happen with veggies, with Proteins, etc. I dont' know why, maybe because I had my gallbladder out? Maybe because I'm me? I have no idea. I just live with it. And I'd much rather this than to be obese. I also consider it a positive thing in many ways because it prevents me from eating crap - Potato chips? Oh, no thank you, I'd rather not have to go to my car and curl up into the back seat for 6 hours, but thank you!! lol! I haven't heard of anyone else having this so I kind of thought it was just me. lol!

I had surgery in October too. I can eat most things, but can only take a bite if it is something heavy (I find food containing dairy products to be especially "heavy"). I can eat chicken but just a few bites or my stomach will start to hurt. I have noticed that the more Water I drink, the easier it is to eat chicken, dairy, etc. My tastes buds have changed TREMENDOUSLY and I find most foods bland now.