Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about Proteint

Hello I am preparing to buy everything for after the surgery but reading my papers I found that it had to be Protein brands of preferences and I ask

someone involved in taking this protein in phase two powder but these brands of preference?Screenshot_20180123-072312.jpg Screenshot_20180123-072213.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't know anything about getting those specific brands, but I would focus on getting any "Isolate" Protein, as it typically has less carbs, sugars, and fats than regular whey protein. My NUT suggested Premier Protein from costco, low sugar & carbs and high protein, per serving.

RNY 12/20/16 32YO 5'9" HW- 408 SW- 388 CW- 247 current BMI- 27

Sweat is just fat crying!

Two points.

1. Your taste buds may change after surgery. Therefore anything that you select at this stage may become intolerable to drink after surgery. So be prepared to experiment after surgery until you find a Protein Shake that will work for you.

2. The Body Fortress Protein Powder on the label reads 60 grams of Protein. Your body will absorb only about 30 grams of protein at one time. So if you drink this protein shake during a short time, half of it will be wasted.

which powder Protein your suggest

Um... those purple labeled Optimum Nutrition powders are Weight Gainers for people who are trying to maintain a calorie surplus. People who lift heavy and lift often will use them. Bariatric patients should assiduously avoid them.

In the beginning, everything will taste so funky. If you have a Vitamin Shoppe store near you, they have a wonderful policy of letting you bring back any powder/supplement that you do not like for a full in store credit. I had a woman at that store that I talked to frequently and I was upfront about being recently sleeved. She was familiar with the taste buds profile changing, thus never even batted an eye when I returned several things. I ended up with UMP Protein in the beginning. After things became more normal, Optimum Nutrition Whey concentrate is my favorite.

The best protein in regards to bio-availability is whey. Isolate or concentrate doesn't really matter. If you are vegetarian, soy is the best you can do. But it is a distant 2nd to whey. collagen is worthless for soft tissue repair (muscle, skin, etc...) but may be helpful for hair, nails, and joints. Typical sources for collagen protein are your bone broths and some protein "shots" in funky fruit flavors, and Pork rinds.

The best protein however, is the one that you can and will use.

Thanksss

I use Premier Protein shakes that I bought at costco and on Amazon. It was on the list my doctors office gave me. Like the comment above, goo Protein, loward.

Good luck

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches