Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Everyone Have Problems

First post. I had surgery on 10/02/17 with a pre-surgery weight of 340 and a BMI of 45. At my 3 month visit I was down to 258 and a BMI of 34 and as of this morning I was at 247. So far I have been lucky with none of the problems some patients have except for occasional Constipation. My original goal was 240 after one year but I'm thinking of trying for 210. I haven't been down that low since I played football in college. Several of my friends and family are telling me to slow down after 100 Lbs lost and see how I feel after a few months. I feel fine now and my A1C has gone from 8.4 to 4.7 and my liver enzymes have gone way down. I'm just worried that if I slow down I may not have the willpower to start losing again. By the way I'm 6'1" and 66 years old. What do you think?

Only slow down when both you and your surgeon are completely comfortable. Alot of people experience a bounce back of weight gain for various reasons once they are far enough out. You may want to go as low as possible to give yourself some room to grow...

That's my plan...

Edited by Tealael

In less than four months, you've lost nearly 100 pounds. That's pretty amazing!

What is your calorie consumption? Make sure you're getting good nutrition and sticking to the calorie target your nutritionist or doctor recommends. It's a good sign you feel well and have good energy:)

I don't think 210 is an unreasonable goal at all, but I do think you should make sure you're eating well and protecting your health.

Congratulations, by the way!

No reason to slow down unless your surgeon or nutritionist feels like there's a nutrition problem. You've got a window in which it's a bit easier, so take maximum advantage of it. Sounds like you're doing amazing!

Thanks. I make sure I get at least 80 g of Protein a day and try to stay between 500 to 700 calories a day. I try for less than 10 g of carbs a day and no bread, potato's, sugar etc. The doctor said I had lost 50 percent of my excess weight and that I was way ahead of most of his other patients. I have never had a problem losing weight with numerous 100 lb lost, my problem was gaining it all back after 6 months or a year of loss. Hopefully my sleeve will help me with that since I get full quickly. The doctor said he didn't want to get into calorie counting until 6 months when I get nutritional counseling.

Linus, Congratulations on nearly meeting your goal weight so quickly. Your family must be in shock to see such a fast transformation and likely believe they are looking out for you when they suggest that you slow down. You're getting your Protein in; watching your carb intake; and have your new tool - your sleeve - so you may have to pat yourself on the back when you keep the weight off this time. Your mindset seems to be on point so I think you've got this. Not sure which football team you're rooting for (I'm guessing you're watching since you once played football), but enjoy the games.

39 minutes ago, KatFight said:

Linus, Congratulations on nearly meeting your goal weight so quickly. Your family must be in shock to see such a fast transformation and likely believe they are looking out for you when they suggest that you slow down. You're getting your Protein in; watching your carb intake; and have your new tool - your sleeve - so you may have to pat yourself on the back when you keep the weight off this time. Your mindset seems to be on point so I think you've got this. Not sure which football team you're rooting for (I'm guessing you're watching since you once played football), but enjoy the games.

I'm rooting for New England and Minnesota. At halftime Jacksonville is 4 points up on New England so we will see what happens. By the way, I read on the posts here that most people have a lot of problems early on. I didn't have anything go wrong so am I just lucky or do most patients only post if they have problems?

2 hours ago, Linus said:

I'm rooting for New England and Minnesota. At halftime Jacksonville is 4 points up on New England so we will see what happens. By the way, I read on the posts here that most people have a lot of problems early on. I didn't have anything go wrong so am I just lucky or do most patients only post if they have problems?

Patients post for lots of reasons. Some want to run what they're experiencing by other people who have gone through the process and others want to share their progress and/or success. I'm happy to hear nothing has gone wrong for you. My surgeon said that it's 50/50 - some patients go through surgery and post-surgery with ease and some don't. Those who don't may have vomiting, extreme nausea, and may express higher levels of pain. Some have an easier time with the diet progression and some don't. I'd say you're lucky. Best wishes as you continue on your Bariatric adventure. You're first pick won. I'm rooting for Minnesota too. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, kakatlady612 said:

Some are whiners but not many, when I have my success and I do plan to have success, you'll hear me clear where you're at. This is a promise.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I think calling folks whiners isn't particularly fair. Often folks post on here with things they struggle with, so you'll see more of that than posts saying "everything is great".

You can see the rate of complications is very small looking at the statistics (a few percent or less for most things). The challenges are individual and real though, some people feel hunger, many don't, some people struggle with losing, others don't. I personally had a terrible first 2 weeks (I was one of the lucky couple of percent with a major - though luckily temporary complication), but even with that I wouldn't change a thing!

I didn't mean to imply people on here were whiners. I guess it's like most review sites, people who don't have problems rarely post. Congratulations to everyone that had the courage to improve themselves good results or bad.