Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home work-out vs gym

Any preference? Being a mom, working, and having lots to do already just would like to hear how people fix exercising at the gym in vs exercising at home. My ideal workout routine would be to incorporate my family, but I am afraid I will get lazy. What works for everyone? Any suggestions? Right now my routine is work out from home I don’t have a consistent routine but I do work out 3-4 days a week at least 30 minutes at home.

Gym will have better tools (unless you have a crazy home gym ) and added motivation of getting in and out. But if it's too far, too crowded too anything you hate you'll probably never go..

Home will have comfort and ease.no crowds or unwanted onlookers But if you lack self sustaining motivation you will fail, too easy to be distracted

Motivation is the key.

I do both and alternative depending on mood but I always do something even if it's just 15 mins

I go to the gym, because I lack the equipment at home to get the job done. I do have a stationary bike at home, which gets some use about 2X per week though. As to your question, I would say that do whatever you can keep doing for life. If you generally hate the gym, you probably won't go. If you lack the motivation to workout at home, you probably will find reasons to forgo exercise there as well.

Involving your family on hikes, sporting events, etc. is an excellent idea. I play volleyball with my daughter on the weekends. We play for about 1-2 hours at a time, and it is a great workout. I don't feel as though I am getting a workout either, so that is a plus.

Whatever you do, remember that if it isn't sustainable, it won't work.

Good Luck!

11 hours ago, JazmaniaRNY said:

Any preference? Being a mom, working, and having lots to do already just would like to hear how people fix exercising at the gym in vs exercising at home. My ideal workout routine would be to incorporate my family, but I am afraid I will get lazy. What works for everyone? Any suggestions? Right now my routine is work out from home I don’t have a consistent routine but I do work out 3-4 days a week at least 30 minutes at home.

What works for me is to not “work out” but to fit activity into my life. That looks like walking to the local fruit market and carrying bags home instead of driving. Generally walking instead of driving whenever and wherever I can. Doing activities I like, like riding bikes in the summer with the family. Playing dodgeball at the trampoline park with my kid or doing climbing walls with him.

Activity does not seem like some sort of thing I have to do. It is just part of my life.

Edited by Travelher

Gym will have better tools (unless you have a crazy home gym ) and added motivation of getting in and out. But if it's too far, too crowded too anything you hate you'll probably never go..
Home will have comfort and ease.no crowds or unwanted onlookers But if you lack self sustaining motivation you will fail, too easy to be distracted
Motivation is the key.
I do both and alternative depending on mood but I always do something even if it's just 15 mins

Great. Yes I will have to just figure out how to work around everything. Thanks

I go to the gym, because I lack the equipment at home to get the job done. I do have a stationary bike at home, which gets some use about 2X per week though. As to your question, I would say that do whatever you can keep doing for life. If you generally hate the gym, you probably won't go. If you lack the motivation to workout at home, you probably will find reasons to forgo exercise there as well.
Involving your family on hikes, sporting events, etc. is an excellent idea. I play volleyball with my daughter on the weekends. We play for about 1-2 hours at a time, and it is a great workout. I don't feel as though I am getting a workout either, so that is a plus.
Whatever you do, remember that if it isn't sustainable, it won't work.
Good Luck!

Thanks you too keep up the work. I have equipment at home that gets used. I like the idea of involving the family that way it doesn’t feel like a work out, plus keeps the kiddo away from those electronics.

What works for me is to not “work out” but to fit activity into my life. That looks like walking to the local fruit market and carrying bags home instead of driving. Generally walking instead of driving whenever and wherever I can. Doing activities I like, like riding bikes in the summer with the family. Playing dodgeball at the trampoline park with my kid or doing climbing walls with him.
Activity does not seem like some sort of thing I have to do. It is just part of my life.

I agree. I am really active now , but am hopeful to be even more post surgery. Thanks for the ideas!

I would recommend one or the other based upon your goals. If you just want to get into shape and remain mobile and active than I would recommend staying at home and maximizing your time in that manner. I have people who go to the gym and I have a lot more people who invest in some at home equipment and do everything at home. It comes down to personal preference and goals. I have a full home gym so I don't need to go but not everyone does. I would say, if your kids are a bit older you can absolutely work them into the program. Kids can do burpees, squats and push ups with the best of them. Make it a game. Have them try to outperform you in the movements. Use it as a form of motivation for both of you. For most people, a few kettlebells and a jump rope can be all you need to get really solid results. I love weightlifting along with bodyweight and conditioning. So I do a bit of everything but it isn't hard to program really good bodyweight or lightweight equipment routines. Try it out. Just hit me up if you need a little advice or a good starting point.

I would recommend one or the other based upon your goals. If you just want to get into shape and remain mobile and active than I would recommend staying at home and maximizing your time in that manner. I have people who go to the gym and I have a lot more people who invest in some at home equipment and do everything at home. It comes down to personal preference and goals. I have a full home gym so I don't need to go but not everyone does. I would say, if your kids are a bit older you can absolutely work them into the program. Kids can do burpees, squats and push ups with the best of them. Make it a game. Have them try to outperform you in the movements. Use it as a form of motivation for both of you. For most people, a few kettlebells and a jump rope can be all you need to get really solid results. I love weightlifting along with bodyweight and conditioning. So I do a bit of everything but it isn't hard to program really good bodyweight or lightweight equipment routines. Try it out. Just hit me up if you need a little advice or a good starting point.

Thanks appreciate it.

Some crossfit boxes have scaled down bodyweight only exercise classes that allow kids attending with their parents to participate in for no additional charge. Many of them have a punch card system where you can get 10 classes for $100 but often during promotional drives you can find these deals at a discount. Granted you can get a 1 year membership at many 24 hour fitness places for $100 but there isn’t the same encouraging community atmosphere like at a crossfit box. The reason I bring up the punch card deal is you can work out at home during the week and hit the crossfit box on Saturdays. This would give you 2-1/2 months to decide which is more right for you and your family.

I personally prefer the gym - or more specifically group classes. Scheduling a class and knowing that it starts at 5:30pm with or without me is a huge motivation. If I rely on myself to "go to the gym" I can come up with excuses or tell myself I'll go after work instead or I'll just sit down for 5 minutes...which turns into not going. I haven't had a lot of luck making myself workout at home - just too many distractions and excuses to not get the job done. But, honestly, whatever you will keep up with is what's best. Lately I have wished I could workout at home because I hate dragging myself out when it's -10 to drive to spin class (but then of course I love spin class once I'm there :) )

There is something about having other people around that amps a person up for his/her workout. When you're at the gym you don't want to look like you're slacking. Its a lot easier to be lazy at home.

I'm trying to be as active as possible all the time. Little things can add up. I've taken up walking for as many errands as possible and parking at the very far end of the parking lot when I have to use the car. I also take the stairs all the time (unless I have to go to a really high floor).

Edited by CalGuy64