Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I had gastric sleeve surgery on 12/28/17. Although I'm having difficulty getting in enough Protein and Water, everything has gone smoothly. I also have fibromyalgia. In the first couple of weeks post-op my sleep and fatigue levels were the same as pre-op (chronic due to fibro). The past two days and nights I've been completely wiped out. Has anyone else noticed increased exhaustion at this point? I have not increased activity as I already was walking and moving around.

I've also had little nausea but feel it when I'm a passenger in a car. Anyone else?

A lot of people say they are tired. I felt ok once I was consistently hitting Protein and fluid goals. Nausea has definitely increased a lot, though mostly around eating or drinking too fast. Vitamins on an empty stomach also cause nausea so be aware of that.

Hi there! I am almost 3 months post op and let me tell you the fatigue is something you cannot understand until it hits you! The first two weeks post op I was a champ! Finally at week 3, I became completely depleted and thought I would never feel normal again! I was sleeping, napping, sitting, moping, lol! I noticed around week 5 I started eating more and was slowly getting more brave and confident in my energy levels. At six weeks I went back to work and found that the normalcy helped with the mental struggle of being soooo run down! I PROMISE that it gets better...mind you I had ZERO complications, was pretty active before surgery and have a husband two kids that I couldn't ignore so I had to bounce back quickly! My first "real meal" albeit very small, was around 5 weeks...it was Frozen Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes and french green Beans. It became my go-to until I was able to eat everything else. I started out getting about 1/3 of the steak down, a tablespoon of potatoes and beans...now I can eat one "steak", 1/4 cup beans and a little potatoes if there is room. I still avoid almost ALL bread/complex carbs...I started at 278, today I am 233. I only walk...waiting until 3 month appointment to check levels and start more exercise. Best decision I ever made...hang in there always :)

2 hours ago, Losebig said:

A lot of people say they are tired. I felt ok once I was consistently hitting Protein and fluid goals. Nausea has definitely increased a lot, though mostly around eating or drinking too fast. Vitamins on an empty stomach also cause nausea so be aware of that.

Thank you. I'll keep aiming for Protein and fluid goals. Glad to hear it will get better. Been using patch Vitamins because I was concerned about increased nausea (thanks).

2 hours ago, Sleevedincali said:

Hi there! I am almost 3 months post op and let me tell you the fatigue is something you cannot understand until it hits you! The first two weeks post op I was a champ! Finally at week 3, I became completely depleted and thought I would never feel normal again! I was sleeping, napping, sitting, moping, lol! I noticed around week 5 I started eating more and was slowly getting more brave and confident in my energy levels. At six weeks I went back to work and found that the normalcy helped with the mental struggle of being soooo run down! I PROMISE that it gets better...mind you I had ZERO complications, was pretty active before surgery and have a husband two kids that I couldn't ignore so I had to bounce back quickly! My first "real meal" albeit very small, was around 5 weeks...it was Frozen Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes and french green Beans. It became my go-to until I was able to eat everything else. I started out getting about 1/3 of the steak down, a tablespoon of potatoes and beans...now I can eat one "steak", 1/4 cup Beans and a little potatoes if there is room. I still avoid almost ALL bread/complex carbs...I started at 278, today I am 233. I only walk...waiting until 3 month appointment to check levels and start more exercise. Best decision I ever made...hang in there always :)

Thank you for your encouragement. It's reassuring to know that you experienced a major shift that third week too. I've been in bed most of the day today and all day yesterday. Finally up and moving. Woo hoo! Congratulations on your weight loss. It's amazing.

Hang in there Kat! I too have been more tired starting at week 3. I believe it’s due to getting the correct amount of Protein consistently. I haven’t had a lot of nausea, but what little I’ve had may be due to introducing new foods and my stomach wasn’t ready. Not being able to detect when I’m full has caused me the most discomfort. But I’m working on this too. Always a work in progress it seems. Hang in there!

My nurse told me my body was having to learn where to look for fuel. I felt better after a few days.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon told me it’s totally normal to have some major fatigue around 3 weeks out and it could last for a few weeks. You’ll have a bounce back in the total opposite direction and feel energized about 4 months! It’s all the healing and adjusting. I slept a lot at your stage.

Sleeved 8/7/17 HW: 256 SW: 248
CW: 197 on 1/3/18 5'7" GW: 150

I had my follow up at 10 days post op and told them how great I felt. Almost like I had never had surgery. I was warned that around 3 weeks a lot of people hit a wall with exhaustion.

Nubbinsd22, GassyGurl, Allie589, and New Beginnings2018 - thank you for your kind words and encouragement. It's reassuring to know this is to be expected and reminded that my body is adjusting. So glad to have this community.

:206_cat:

I am about 6 weeks out. My surgery went well, however my recovery is impeded by CFS/Fibromyalgia. My sleeve is healing and I am introducing new foods each week. It is very difficult right now as I cannot function properly and exercise (other than walking) is out of the question due to severe arthritis. These issues are the veryreasons I had the procedure in the first place coupled with hypertension and pre-diabetic condition. I felt that these conditions would improve if I got the weight off. My weight is slowly but steadily coming down. However, I am exhausted, having difficulty focusing and I am having a hard time with short term recall. I purposely came to this forum to see if anyone else with autoimmune issues was having similar occurrences. My blood work has come back showing my Vitamin B,and D are high so it’s not a malabsorption issue. I began to wonder if the anethstesia was impacting me this far out—or, a possible blood clot/TIA. I literally was knocked for a loop when I had to leave my successful career due to health problems and file SSI disability. At Christmas we had a house fire,7 days later my father died from heart failure, my surgery was about a week and a half after his passing. My doctor prescribed an anti depressant but I am not tolerating it well as it makes me more nauseous. I continue to take my thyroid medicine which helps a bit. I supplement my Protein with protein bullets which have 42 grams — trying to stay hydrated and taking bariatric Vitamins. This has GOT to improve—it’s hell. Having to move to corporate housing this week—will take 6 months to renovate the house. What a way to start 2018.

Yikes, you have had a heck of a few months! Let's hope it's on the upswing. Some of the tiredness and memory stuff you describe can be attributed to low carbs and low calories. I've had similar mental fuzziness and memory issues, especially early on. Your brain needs carbs to function, so early on it can be tough. I'm still low carb, but I felt like it got better as I adjusted a month or so out. I also have an inflammatory arthritis and it has gotten better, but it seemed like it took a month or so.

Thank you Losebig. Starting a new week and I appreciate the encouragement. To your point, I literally wake up craving carbs in the middle of the night. I keep saltines next to the bed so I don’t get the shakes. When I get up I get so dizzy 😵 it is crazy. Congrats on your success, And I hope you have a great start to you Monday! Keep me posted 💐

4 hours ago, Ladybug2659 said:

I am about 6 weeks out. My surgery went well, however my recovery is impeded by CFS/Fibromyalgia. My sleeve is healing and I am introducing new foods each week. It is very difficult right now as I cannot function properly and exercise (other than walking) is out of the question due to severe arthritis. These issues are the veryreasons I had the procedure in the first place coupled with hypertension and pre-diabetic condition. I felt that these conditions would improve if I got the weight off. My weight is slowly but steadily coming down. However, I am exhausted, having difficulty focusing and I am having a hard time with short term recall. I purposely came to this forum to see if anyone else with autoimmune issues was having similar occurrences. My blood work has come back showing my Vitamin B,and D are high so it’s not a malabsorption issue. I began to wonder if the anethstesia was impacting me this far out—or, a possible blood clot/TIA. I literally was knocked for a loop when I had to leave my successful career due to health problems and file SSI disability. At Christmas we had a house fire,7 days later my father died from heart failure, my surgery was about a week and a half after his passing. My doctor prescribed an anti depressant but I am not tolerating it well as it makes me more nauseous. I continue to take my thyroid medicine which helps a bit. I supplement my Protein with Protein bullets which have 42 grams — trying to stay hydrated and taking bariatric Vitamins. This has GOT to improve—it’s hell. Having to move to corporate housing this week—will take 6 months to renovate the house. What a way to start 2018.

Hi. You’re not alone. I also struggle with CFS/Fibromyalgia, inflammatory and osteoarthritis, and hypothyroidism too. I had a successful career and could no longer work. It was a position I really enjoyed so it was a double loss of a career and money. Like you, walking is the best I can do and sometimes I need a break for a week because my body hurts so much and I have such intense exhaustion.

VGS was my answer to get rid of some weight too bc I am unable to exercise enough to get it off. I had gained weight initially bc I was trying to get as much as rest as possible to get better, except I never got better. Emotional eating became a pattern, although I didn’t see it at the time. My surgeon is understanding and encouraged me to focus on doing as much as I can with walking on my better days and rest on the tougher days.

The third week post-op I was exhausted. The exhaustion itself caused (just like it does w/fibro) difficulty with focusing and short-term memory loss. On top of that, you are dealing with huge stressors. The stress alone could do that - add your health isssues in and there’s no wonder why you are struggling so much. There was a time years ago where my stress and exhaustion was through the roof. There was a school event where I went to talk to teachers about my son’s grades. I had recently moved and one of my new neighbors approached me and asked to be reminded of my son’s name. I needed a reminder too. I stammered trying to come up with it because my brain was exhausted. My husband finally chimed in after I looked like a fool for a minute (it felt like an eternity).

My thoughts are with you with all you’ve been through. Hoping that fond memories of your Dad will brighten your darkest days 🌸

Fibro here too. I was sleeved on 2/6/18, about three weeks ago. I saw the doctor today and he recommended I eat more if I can. I don’t think I was getting more than 600 cal a day. And even more importantly drink more. I also have chronic fatigue so it is difficult to judge the reason for the fatigue right now. But I’m going to guess that healing the body takes energy. Much fewer calories equals lack of energy. And I’m not getting nearly 64 ounces of Fluid the day. Not to mention regular life and some anxiety about going back to work etc. hang in there I feel your pain.