Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was reading about some sleevers who have had a lot of success with the Keto diet and I was thinking of doing some research about it. I thought it would be something I'd like to try. I called my surgeon today and asked their nutritionist her thoughts on it, and she said DO NOT DO THE KETO DIET because it's a fad and not good for a sleeve patients because it's high in fat and it could really cause damage. Are there any sleevers here who follow keto?

I do a modified Keto. Meaning I do not do the high fat, yet I do very low carb and the high protien that is required by my nutritionist.

this also helped. https://www.bariatriceating.com/2017/03/bee-keto-bariatric-plan/

Edited by SouthernGirl76

3 minutes ago, SouthernGirl76 said:

I do a modified Keto. Meaning I do not do the high fat, yet I do very low carb and the high protien that is required by my nutritionist.

this also helped. https://www.bariatriceating.com/2017/03/bee-keto-bariatric-plan/

That's what I decided to try myself starting this week. I know I won't do high fat, but I definitely want to try to keep carbs under 20g per day. I'll check out that link you added. Thanks!

My opinion is to research the failed FAD diets that have surfaced over the years and derive a decision if it is worth it.

I admit I'm no expert on the differences between Keto and a typical low-carb diet. I think some doctors imagine a low carb diet as one eating 12 pounds of bacon a day...lol. You can still do low carb and not go crazy on high fat foods. Keeping my carbs low has always been best for me although I'm not the biggest fan of it. I seem to notice a bigger increase in weight loss if I keep it to 50g or less a day. Usually it means lots of lean Protein (chicken & tuna are my main go-tos) and I stick to lower carb veggies.

As they said eat our Protein first and carbs second, which has proven itself to work in my opinion. As stated on another thread, my goal is to burn twice the calories that i intake daily to maintain the balance. However, that works for myself and may not for others.

I do and have for almost 2 years now (including the food stages). My labs are perfect and have been since before I even had the surgery (as a result of my six month pre-op diet program 100 pound loss).

It isn't a fad and I am proof of that...

Yes -- it IS a fad. Its just the next in line of many low carb diets. I love low carb, so I am not bashing the lifestyle itself, but it is annoying to see the "latest & greatest" when they are all basically the sameISH -- and all work (but so does anything that you can work on and stick with).

Maybe you have epilepsy and do not know it and did you your doctor recommend this diet bliziar? Most likely not being that the originator of the thread mention earlier that his nutritionist said NO, NO. I stand corrected maybe its not a textbook definition fad diet, just the one's taking the risk doing it makes this diet a fad, when the diet was design for other uses. "The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children". However, I am not buying for a minute bariatric surgeons will ever recommend this diet for any of their patients and I agree with Russ nutritionist advice that this diet is a horrible idea and worst advice to give to any bariatric patient, not knowing their full circumstances.

My program uses something similar. Basically low/no carb and lean Protein only for the first 6 - 12 months. So far it's working well. I think one of the advantages of low carb for a sleeve is that a lot of carbs become really small when you eat them (chips for example). You can eat a lot more carbs then dense protein before being full, so with lean protein it ends up being a very low calorie diet as well.

Dietdoctor.com

Thats the website my doctor recommends to all his sleevers. I will try once I can eat regular food. Sugar and carbs are so hard to give up, but I will try. I hate sugar free after taste, makes me instantly nauseous. Will see what happens!

I just had my mind blown.

I looked up the carbs in the Calcium supplements I’ve been taking since I was sleeved over a year ago. I’ve been taking Calcet Creamy Bites twice a day. They have 7 grams of carbs in each piece. That’s 14 grams a day just for that alone!

I called Celebrate Vitamins and found they have a similar calcium supplement with the same nutrients but they are 2 grams of carbs each. I ordered a 3 month supply. Glad I read the label on those calcium supplements I’d been taking daily!

On 1/16/2018 at 4:55 PM, Sammy 10-30 said:

Maybe you have epilepsy and do not know it and did you your doctor recommend this diet bliziar? Most likely not being that the originator of the thread mention earlier that his nutritionist said NO, NO. I stand corrected maybe its not a textbook definition fad diet, just the one's taking the risk doing it makes this diet a fad, when the diet was design for other uses. "The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children". However, I am not buying for a minute bariatric surgeons will ever recommend this diet for any of their patients and I agree with Russ nutritionist advice that this diet is a horrible idea and worst advice to give to any bariatric patient, not knowing their full circumstances.

No, I do not have epilepsy, and I am not exactly sure why you posted such a nasty message. That's on you. If you don't want to eat low carb, then don't. But it is effective, and it is supported by not only by bariatric surgeon and his staff, but also by my PCP.

I've lost 225 pounds and am maintaining beautifully. I'll just leave it at that.

For one example...

My brother-in-law has been doing the Keto diet mostly for over a year (did not have bariatric surgery). He lost 100lbs on it and is keeping it off. Also he used to be on cholesterol lowering drugs but he now has his cholesterol in check and doesn't need them anymore. His BP is also great. I can't figure out why so many people bash this diet. Just because it goes against the thinking that we've all been taught (low fat) for years doesn't mean it's wrong. When he talk to his doctor about it, his doctor told him just keep doing whatever you're doing because it's working great for you. I don't know how us "sleevers" would do on it since we now have a modified stomach, but if in a years time if I don't hit my goal weight with the diet my dietitian recommended, I'm going to try it for sure.

This is my doctor Sammy...here is the information, maybe you would like to share your thoughts and concerns with my PROFESSIONAL surgeon 20180119_225810.thumb.jpg.c38671234c80cd0e4f43c254d6d96852.jpg