Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 minute ago, NegreteLove said:

That's why I added that for some it may have the opposite effect. My point is that the general consensus is that it acts as a suppressant. As with virtually any medical subject we can trade hyperlinks all day long where one contradicts the other. Something from the mayo Clinic holds more Water than a random blog.

That's why I added that for some it may have the opposite effect. My point is that the general consensus is that it acts as a suppressant. As with virtually any medical subject we can trade hyperlinks all day long where one contradicts the other. Something from the mayo Clinic holds more Water than a random blog.

I was not debating just adding information to the thread. Have a good day!

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

14 minutes ago, NegreteLove said:

I was not debating just adding information to the thread. Have a good day!

Sorry, wasn't trying to be snippy. Old habits from forum arguments in the past...lol. Used to get into it with people that would just post a random link as proof. It's frustrating sifting through all the info out there. In the end we have to just figure out what works for us individually.

Cheers!

Sorry, wasn't trying to be snippy. Old habits from forum arguments in the past...lol. Used to get into it with people that would just post a random link as proof. It's frustrating sifting through all the info out there. In the end we have to just figure out what works for us individually.

Cheers!

[emoji6]

The article states exactly what you are saying it is a suppressant but by being a suppressant and causing you to skip a meal or burn off an enormous amount of energy in the end it could have the opposite effect because your body is now in starvation mode.

No problem and thank you. I think I should have been more descriptive in my first post.

My surgeon is not anti-caffeine but recommends stopping it prior to surgery because of risk of withdrawal. You'll need to be focused on getting Water and/or nutrient-rich liquid during your first couple weeks post-op and you won't want to waste that stomach space on coffee. As you can eat more there's no reason not to have caffeine IMO. All this talk about diuretic effects seems to ignore the fact that caffeinated beverages are made WITH WATER. :P

On 1/15/2018 at 6:11 AM, orionburn said:

???

Caffeine has long been used as an appetite suppressant. In the glory days of ephedrine that taken with caffeine would kill an appetite for hour and hours. I'm sure for some it doesn't make a difference, or could have the opposite effect, but those folks are in the minority.

To the original post you'll find lots of conflicting reasons/arguments about caffeine. Some docs worry about the coffee being too acidic, others say it leads to dehydration due to a diuretic, and some just think caffeine is the devil (as with alcohol and anything else that's fun...lol). There is justifiable concern that people turn to empty calorie drinks and will either slow down their weight loss or start gaining if it gets out of control. We all hear about the calorie nightmares of some Starbuck drinks.< br />
I drink coffee on a daily basis and I don't have any issues with it. I started with Decaf after surgery because that was doc's orders, so I followed them. When I was cleared I started having regular coffee again but mixed with decaf. For me I had to slowly increase the caffeinated portion because it would hit me hard and give me the jitters. That's just me, though. Lot of people could drink coffee after surgery without any issues.

Personally I don't care for some of these NUTS that say "never" again. I think it's unrealistic and gives people the wrong idea. As with anything in life moderation is key. I just don't like the idea of making a list of all these forbidden items that we're never ever allowed to have again. It's one thing to follow instructions immediately after surgery to make sure you heal properly, but for the long term they need to be more realistic.

Excellent post. Agree with you. Everything in moderation, and coffee isn't harmful. The sugar and cream that everyone adds can be, though.

5 hours ago, Dr. David Thomas said:

Excellent post. Agree with you. Everything in moderation, and coffee isn't harmful. The sugar and cream that everyone adds can be, though.

Completely agree. I have come to pay much more attention to how much Creamer I use in my coffee. For me it isn't the calories but the carbs. It's way too easy to get 10g of carbs in my to-go mug if I'm using a regular creamer. If I'm having 2-3 of those a day then I've added in a lot of empty carbs.

I was told to cut back on caffeine. So for me the only time I have it is when I have 8oz mixed with my caramel Protein Shake (maybe happens 3 times a week). But I think she was trying to help me cut back on sodas (which I've stopped) and my fattening tea (changed to Decaf and stevia). Now my tea can count as Water according to my doctor. I'm sure all are different though.