Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Weeks post op - I don’t want to do this anymore [emoji25][emoji25][emoji25]

I have been debating on posting all of this because I’m tired of living it day to day

I am 4 weeks post op and feel like this is the most horrible decision I’ve made. Here is a list of what has been going on :

- I am unable to drink anything other than Water and sometimes apple juice or popsicles. Anything thicker comes right back up. broth, flavored drinks, etc will not stay down.

- I have acid that brings me to tears and wakes me up at night (all night), it makes me feel like I’m going to vomit fire. I am currently taking Prilosec, Zantac, Carafate, and Magic Mouthwash.

- I’m exhausted because I’m not consuming any Protein or other nutrients. I’m exhausted because I try to sleep sitting straight up. Any incline makes the acid worse.

- I feel like there is a lump rising up right before I vomit and/or get the acid burn.

My doctor is aware of everything that is going on. He said I’m in a small percent that gets this really bad GERD or reflux and later down the road we might have to do a sleeve to bypass revision. I’m really not okay with that option because I had complications after the sleeve surgery. He isn’t really worried about my lack of nutrients at this point because I’m “only” 4 weeks out. I know guys, only four weeks, but in all honesty I’m miserable 24 hours a day. I have kids, I have a full time job, and I seriously can’t continue like this.

I was also told I now have sludge in my gallbladder so it may need to be removed later.

If anyone can relate to this or tell me it will all be okay I would really appreciate it. I’m at my breaking point and am very disappointed in myself for electing to have this surgery.

I'm really sorry to hear about all the complications. Hang in there, it's got to get better. Are they putting you on Ursodoil for the gallbladder, if not that may help. One thing that may help with the liquids is drinking something warm. Either some kind of herbal tea (maybe like peppermint or something else that may also help nausea) or just warm Water. I personally find that light cocoa goes down really easily VS water or anything else and warm liquids were a life saver early on (I had some complications the first week and had to go back to the hospital because I couldn't swallow anything).

Hang in there it'll get better!

Honestly this story is one I hear often I work as a medical assistant for a bariactric surgon. Around this time patients are often fed up. This is also the time there is more scar tissue so the problem could be a stricture.

Having GERD after sleeve surgery is actually very common. And the nutritionist I work with actually recommends not eating or drinking up to 5 hours before bedtime. But it SHOULD get better but if it doesnt it could mean a stricture as developed.

If you have a feeling of liquids going down slowly or getting stuck or vomiting then you may want to have your surgeon check for a stricture.

Also there is medication for GERD that you should be taking.

Hope this helps

Edited by Prevanwarrior

Hi. Be kind to yourself. Afterall, it sounds like you wouldn't have chosen surgery had you known this outcome. You have a lot of responsibilities and you don't have the physical resources right now to meet them. That's very stressful. Although my post-surgery experience has been different from yours, I struggled for years (and still do) with a chronic health issue that made work, parenting, and family life impossible. I felt a lot of anxiety, depression, and thought I'd have a nervous breakdown. You are doing all you can to get through minute by minute. Gradually, that will become getting through each half hour, then hour, morning, afternoon, day, week, etc until the worst parts of this are behind you.

In terms of nutrients, BariatricPal sells Multi-Vitamin Patches. They may help you fill in what are missing through food.

I wish I had suggestions that would erase some of your struggles. Wishing you better health in the days ahead.

Honestly this story is one I hear often I work as a medical assistant for a bariactric surgon. Around this time patients are often fed up. This is also the time there is more scar tissue so the problem could be a stricture.
Having GERD after sleeve surgery is actually very common. And the nutritionist I work with actually recommends not eating or drinking up to 5 hours before bedtime. But it SHOULD get better but if it doesnt it could mean a stricture as developed.
If you have a feeling of liquids going down slowly or getting stuck or vomiting then you may want to have your surgeon check for a stricture.
Also there is medication for GERD that you should be taking.
Hope this helps

Thank you for responding. Is scar tissue something that dissipates as time goes by? Also, what is the medication for GERD?

Thank you for your kind words. They are much appreciated. I am looking into the vitamin patches now.

What you are experiencing is not normal or acceptable. Demand that your doctor do appropriate diagnostics and take active steps to resolve the issues, or find someone else who will actually help you. I am so sorry you're experiencing this.

Edited by Creekimp13

36 minutes ago, Brandi. said:

Thank you for responding. Is scar tissue something that dissipates as time goes by? Also, what is the medication for GERD?

The scar tissue will not dissipate it can cause the stomach to become narrow which will make it hard to pass food through the stomach and eventually it will not allow food to pass at all which will cause vomiting after you eat or drink. If that happens go the ER they can help until you can see your surgeon.

The medication for GERD can be prescribed by your doctor or you can buy over the counter meds like Prilosec or Nexium. I've been told that Nexium works the best.

Edited by Prevanwarrior

I have nothing useful, I'm sorry but just wanted to send hugs and prayers. I hope things improve soon. I am a stay at home mom of 4 and couldn't imagine trying to juggle that and work with so much pain, discomfort and low energy.

I have nothing useful, I'm sorry but just wanted to send hugs and prayers. I hope things improve soon. I am a stay at home mom of 4 and couldn't imagine trying to juggle that and work with so much pain, discomfort and low energy.

Thank you, it means a lot.

I just wanted to say that your surgeon should have put you on a prescription strength med for the GERD. I am on a ppi called Pantoprazole. I am wondering why the heck he didn't put you on one. It should help you quite a lot with the problems you are having. Please tell your doctor that you want to be on a ppi. Then there will be no need for Prilosec, Zantac and the like, which for many people do absolutely zilch for their problems. Call your doc today. If he won't put you on a ppi, then go to another doctor.

I am very sorry that you are having the issues. It must be very difficult for you.

I hope you feel better soon!

I know you said that you were nervous to convert from a sleeve to a bypass, but it could save you from the side affects of the GERD. I'd highly consider doing a conversion, IF the problem doesn't resolve SOON. My doctor said that if you have even the occasional acid reflux, that the sleeve is not an option for you. Bypass has A LOT LESS chance of having this problem. I'm sorry you are going through this, but it make take additional steps to correct the situation. I'm having my surgery to get off of all medications, not add ones! Just ask your self, what do you have to loose? You are still on an a liquid diet. You are in constant agony, from the sounds of it. You are already dealing with malnutrition. I think from here, the only place you have to go is UP.

Here is a quote from a study by the National Institutes of Health.

"Roux-en-Y gastric bypass was considered an effective method to alleviate symptoms of GERD, whereas laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy appeared to increase the incidence of the disease."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3968207/

I felt the same as you! I regretted my decision, but that was only temporary! I've lost close to 60 pounds and I realize this was the BEST decision I have ever made. Hang in there!

Oh sweetie!! I am so sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can do this, it WILL get better, you are struggling and this is so hard, you are probably being a hero at every moment because you have to handle your health issues and keep your life afloat. I know how hard that is.

Are you taking Prilosec twice a day? I had horrible acid reflux and my doc had me take one in the AM and one in the PM. I still do for periods of time and I'm 15 months out.

I want you to know it took me 12 weeks to get to the pureed stage. I just took longer to heal as I had a lot going on, i had my gallbladder removed, a massive hiatal hernia repair and the VGS. I wasn't back on my feet in full swing for MONTHS. And I'd read here where people are like "Wow, surgery yesterday, back to work today, feeling great!" and I was SOOO jealous. I also had a LOT of regret. I was a reluctant Sleever, I had a lot of major medical issues and was very close to dying so this was my choice - Sleeve or Die. That's what my doctor actually said to me. But my post surgery complications were difficult and my emotions were at their lowest. It is SOOO hard.

Have you tried the Unjury chicken broth Protein Soup? I was like you and nothing stayed down well and I was in a lot of pain. The Unjury CHicken Broth soup saved me. Sure, I was loading up on Sodium but I didn't care at that point. Maybe it will work for you?

Also, I was unable to drink anything but Water till 14 months out. I also could only eat really soft chicken for the first 12 months. Even now I just mostly eat chicken or pork, I can't eat beef, I can't eat veggies, I can't eat sugars as I get a dumping syndrome. But I am SOOO happy now and I feel amazing. Here is a post I made a few months ago for a young girl who was scared to have the surgery. On it I list the things I used to keep me motivate. Maybe it will help you??

I am so sorry, I am sending you a Word Hug. You got this, even if you think you can't.

This is my previous post:

#1 - absolutely allow yourself to feel that sense of loss. You need to deal with it, get to a place of acceptance. So it's totally OK to feel that way.

#2 - you need to create a list of all the things you CAN do now and that you will be able to do. For me my list looks a little like this:

1. Don't need seat belt extender on an airplane anymore
  2. Can ride a rollercoaster with ease
  3. can walk past a mirror or window and like/love what I see
  4. Can shop at the mall in a regular store
  5. I can buy that novelty T-shirt all my friends have as well
  6. I can run, jump, leap, move with ease and joy
  7. I hug so many of my friends and loved ones now because I am not embarrassed by my body
  8. I say YES to many social activities now. I used to say no all the time cause of I was mortified of my own body
  9. I can ice skate now. and ski, an rollerskate, all the activities I was way too big for before
  10. I can wrap my hands around my own wrist and have extra room
  11. I wear a size 10 about to be a size 8
  12. I look f**king fabulous in tight jeans, a cute tight top and sandals

You might not be able to eat that stuffed potato skin, you might not be able to eat all those chips and dips with your friends, but you know what you can do with them? EVERYTHING ELSE. :D

You are amazing, you are so strong and courageous to do this. It is TOTALLY normal to feel sad and left out, but please remember that this is a trade off, you are giving up one thing you love, food, for ALL the other things that will help you build an amazing, wonderful and FREE life. Free from all the pains and sorrows a life being overweight brings. You are too young to know this but many of us wasted entire lives waiting to be this free, you have a gift in front of you, it's hard to fully appreciate it at the beginning. You are gonna do wonderful, Little One, just absolutely wonderfully.

I just wanted to say that your surgeon should have put you on a prescription strength med for the GERD. I am on a ppi called Pantoprazole. I am wondering why the heck he didn't put you on one. It should help you quite a lot with the problems you are having. Please tell your doctor that you want to be on a ppi. Then there will be no need for Prilosec, Zantac and the like, which for many people do absolutely zilch for their problems. Call your doc today. If he won't put you on a ppi, then go to another doctor.
I am very sorry that you are having the issues. It must be very difficult for you.
I hope you feel better soon!

Hey there. My PPI is Prilosec, but I’m going to switch to nexium to see if it helps