Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Change to type of surgery in surgey

Hi All. I just signed my consent forma at the surgeon's office. I am having gastric bypass surgery and the surgeon said that if there were adhesions or scar tissue where I had my lap and removed 3 years ago he would do the gastric sleeve instead.

Yikes. Did anyone here have to sign a consent like that or did it actually happen to anyone here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app

• Like 1

I have only had the sleeve but I had to sign something that gave him permission to switch from laprascopic to open if he HAD to. Without the permission up front they would need to abort the surgery, wait until I was recovered from the anesthesia, ask if I was willing to go open and reschedule for later.

I recently read about somebody on one of my FB groups that was going in for a revision and she had so much scar tissue that the doctor couldn't do the revision so he closed her up. I don't remember if she was having an RNY revised or going from lap or sleeve to RNY.

Therefore I don't think the consent form is that unusual. Better than waking up with no revision and having to reschedule at a later date.

• Like 1

They will perform a sleeve if bypass is physically not possible due to your unique circumstances. If a consent is not signed beforehand they would have to close you up with no bypass or sleeve. A consent tries to cover every worst case scenario that may be known, barring any emergency of course.

My surgery was moved forward five days. I was warned I may have to have sleeve depending on how my liver was because my liquid diet phase was shortened but everything was ok. It’s a hope for the best but prepare for the worst situation in a way.

Either surgery was preferable to neither at my weight.

:wacko:

Edited by KimTriesRNY
Misspelling
  • Like 2

They will perform a sleeve if bypass is physically not possible due to your unique circumstances. If a consent is not signed beforehand they would have to close you up with no bypass or sleeve. A consent tries to cover every worst case scenario that may be known, barring any emergency of course.
My surgery was moved forward five days. I was warned I may have to have sleeve depending on how my liver was because my liquid diet phase was shortened but everything was ok. It’s a hope for the best but prepare for the worst situation in a way.
Either surgery was preferable to neither at my weight.
:wacko:

Thank you. I don't want the sleeve I don't think because I have very bad gerd . I will call the bariatric team I guess.

Hi All. I just signed my consent forma at the surgeon's office. I am having gastric bypass surgery and the surgeon said that if there were adhesions or scar tissue where I had my lap and removed 3 years ago he would do the gastric sleeve instead.
Yikes. Did anyone here have to sign a consent like that or did it actually happen to anyone here?

No I didn't. My surgeon knew there would be adhesions (I had 4 abdominal surgeries including the removal of my lapband). It was a tough surgery, but she worked through all the adhesions and it took about 5 1/2 hours for her to do so. The only thing she would have changed during, is making it an open surgery if things got really bad. It is a shame your surgeon would not do the same for you. I would be so disappointed if I had a different surgery. I hope all goes well for you. Let us know how you make out.

Sent from my SM-T818T using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks for posting this, I'll want to make sure I'm not sleeved and that open is permissible, my gastroenterologist just switched me to Dexilant from Prilosec, he calls D the Ferrari of GERD medicine. Does seem to be helping and has cut down on my gastritis pain. No more coffee etc but maybe a small,price to pay.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

• Like 2

Yep. I have been on 2 60 mgs capsules of defiant for a few years now.

I am calling surgeon team on Monday.

• Like 2

I'm having Gastric Bypass surgery on February 8th & I had to sign a consent form for a possible sleeve. The reason that I did is he said that sometimes men in my BMI range have issues with the pouch tearing or being stretched to tight because of the way men carry their fat in their abdomen is a bit different then women. He wouldn't really know until the cameras are in there and rather than have to chase down my wife it was easier to make the decision to sleeve if needed now then later. Basically sleeve, lose weight then bypass later, I have diabetes so I want the benefit of the bypass getting rid of the diabetes. I've lost 20# so far and am working to try and get 5-10 more before surgery. Good Luck To You, I'm sure everything will go swimmingly for you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Batcap said:

I'm having Gastric Bypass surgery on February 8th & I had to sign a consent form for a possible sleeve. The reason that I did is he said that sometimes men in my BMI range have issues with the pouch tearing or being stretched to tight because of the way men carry their fat in their abdomen is a bit different then women. He wouldn't really know until the cameras are in there and rather than have to chase down my wife it was easier to make the decision to sleeve if needed now then later. Basically sleeve, lose weight then bypass later, I have diabetes so I want the benefit of the bypass getting rid of the diabetes. I've lost 20# so far and am working to try and get 5-10 more before surgery. Good Luck To You, I'm sure everything will go swimmingly for you!

Thank you for the support. I just can't have the sleeve because I already have severe GERD. God bless you and do well with your surgery!

• Like 1

Four months prior to rny I had a colon resection. I had to sign a consent saying I would have rny if possible if not I would have gastric sleeve. I also have a liver condition. It also stated if my liver looked abnormal a biopsy would be done.

HW 330
SW 292
CW 185
GW below 200

• Like 1