Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band being removed Feb 5th.

Hi everyone. I'm Scheduled for lap-band removal Feb 5th. I should be having a revision to the sleeve around 3 months after that (pending insurance approval). I am just curious about the recovery time from lap-band removal. I'd also like to know what you're post op diet from lap-band removal was. Thanks!

I had a lap band removal October 2016. It messed my insides up so bad I had to wait a year until I could have a revision, to which I had the Bypass October 10, 2017. I hope yours has not done any damage.

Just based on what they could see on the Upper GI and EGD the band is still in place so that should help. I guess we will find out once they get in there. Once they took all the Fluid out of my band (Back in October) I have had zero restriction and I stay hungry all the time. so I've already gained 10 lbs (probably more than that but I'm so scared to get on the scale).....ugh......I'm just going to have to be more vigilant...

I wanted to sleeve to begin with but my insurance didn't cover it at the time. And I was impatient and didn't want to wait for the time that my insurance would cover it. So I went with the band. The first Year I did pretty well with it, I lost about 35 pounds and kept it off for about 5 years but I didn't put in as much effort as I should have to lose more. But as time went on food started to get stuck more and more frequently and it got to the point that I was vomiting every day....so soft foods were my go to. And soft foods are not the healthiest thing in the world...so the weight came back on and the vomiting continued. I finally had enough and went to my doc and he recommended the revision which I wanted anyway. I have had more trouble with it than what she it's been worth.

There are some people that have been very successful and happy with it, but I'm not one. My surgeon even said he doesn't do lapbands anymore from the high rate of complications he's seen. He told me the sleeve has been the most successful with the lowest rate of long term complications that he has seen in his practice. I hope this helps. No matter what you decide just remember WLS is a tool and it still takes a lot of work on your part. Good luck to you.

I am having a revision too. My date is February 19 and hopefully I can have everything done at one time. My band had a malfunction and must be removed. I had a CT scan done and I don't think the band did any damage to my stomach. The insurance company approved the surgery.

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 7 1/2 years into my band and it is being removed and revised to the sleeve in about 2 weeks. It was great the first 2 years. I lost 90 pounds of the 110 I wanted to lose. Then came the GERD and vomiting, then issues with dilation of the upper pouch (which I of course am likely responsible for, too), which causes food waste to be trapped in the upper pouch, and then recently a gastric bleed from the band slipping down and causing a blood vessel inside the stomach to pop (likely from a violent vomit from food stuck), which caused me to lose half my blood and spend a week in the hospital. I got so paranoid about vomiting after the blood loss incident, that I was just eating mushy food that was high calorie and most of the weight is back.

After 2 endoscopies, CT Scans with contrast and Pillcam video of my entire upper bowel, my gastroenterologist said he wanted it out of me asap due to the risk of another bleeding episode. I have been advised by doctors involved that it just seems like everyone who has the band will need to have it out at some point.

My gastro doctor is a very respected guy in his field and sees no issues in a revision in same surgery since there's no evidence of erosion. But of course, every one is different.

My insurance will not cover bariatric so I am off to Mexico.