Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most-used kitchen gadgets/utensils after weight loss surgery?

I love my stick blender and lots of half cup sized tupperware.

Something to be wary of with the Bullet blenders / juicers, when they blitz the food you are making into smoothies or juices, they split the carbohydrates from the Fiber. What this means is for those who have diabetes or are pre diabetic it is giving you the sugar hit without the fiber connected to the carbohydrate at the molecular level. So be careful when using these kind of blender/juicers.

I also have to say the nutribullet! Easy to make smoothies and clean. Other than that, I also bought sharp new chef knives to cut vegetables and fruit. You will also need tupperware because leftovers and meal prep will become your life.

I didn't cook too much before my surgery and now I'm actually in the kitchen using stuff! It's weird!! :D

I swear by my vitamix and ninja because i love smoothies when i crave sweets i just add Protein to it.
I use my croc pot and air fryer all the time too.

I have food scales and george foreman grills too. I don't use them as much as i thought i would.

I love to cook so im that weirdo that buys anything i've seen on tv

1 hour ago, ldfrausto said:

What does the air fryer do?

Allows you to cook fried foods with great taste but with under 10% of the oil/fat content of other fryers.

e.g. (1) hot french fries in deep fryer , 150 grams/5 ounces = 450 calories

e.g. (1) hot french fries in air-fryer , 150 grams/5 ounces = 240 calories

18 minutes ago, xoxococojay said:

It allows you to make wings and fried chicken without the guilt, calories or fat.

Not that we should be having many of the things we used to fry before WLS any way.

Even air-fried foods are less helpful to us than steamed/boiled/raw versions.

Many fried foods are starchy or breaded choices too ... things we should be avoiding.

The quote above about 150g/5oz of hot chips (french fries) dropping from 450 to 240 when air-fried is not great in my book.

A decent sized 180 gram/6oz oven baked potato (if you must have high starch potatoes) is only 170 calories.

13 hours ago, Laggy said:

Something to be wary of with the Bullet blenders / juicers, when they blitz the food you are making into smoothies or juices, they split the carbohydrates from the Fiber. What this means is for those who have diabetes or are pre diabetic it is giving you the sugar hit without the fiber connected to the carbohydrate at the molecular level. So be careful when using these kind of blender/juicers.

Hi Laggy

Can you tell us where this information comes from? I have tried to find any scientific explanation for how a machine could alter carbohydrate molecules this way (I think you are saying it breaks the fibre up, splitting sugar molecules off?)

I wonder if it is an urban myth?

The Bullet is such a great tool for making healthy purée/soft food, I’d hate people to be put off using it without good reason. Thanks 😁

Edited by Biddynz

13 hours ago, Laggy said:

they split the carbohydrates from the Fiber.

Can you quote the science or research on this?

It seems preposterous.

Despite the fact that the foods are hacked/chopped, as far as I know from years of science and reading about food, the only thing that comes close to what you're saying is: "When given a choice between eating a fruit and juicing it, eat the fruit if you want real satiety. Drinking filtered juice and throwing away the pulp and fibre concentrates the level of fructose/sugar".

If you swallow the whole contents of the smoothie jar, pulp included, you get the fibre AS FAR AS I'VE BEEN READING. One can't kill the general molecular structure just by using a blender.

I'd be happy to see authoritative research if you can point me to it or quote it here.

Otherwise, I worry that it's just a non-scientist passing on an old wives tale/opinion.

4 hours ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

Can you quote the science or research on this?

It seems preposterous.

Despite the fact that the foods are hacked/chopped, as far as I know from years of science and reading about food, the only thing that comes close to what you're saying is: "When given a choice between eating a fruit and juicing it, eat the fruit if you want real satiety. Drinking filtered juice and throwing away the pulp and fibre concentrates the level of fructose/sugar".

If you swallow the whole contents of the smoothie jar, pulp included, you get the fibre AS FAR AS I'VE BEEN READING. One can't kill the general molecular structure just by using a blender.

I'd be happy to see authoritative research if you can point me to it or quote it here.

Otherwise, I worry that it's just a non-scientist passing on an old wives tale/opinion.

I really appreciate you well thought out and constructive feedback

All of the above are very good choices. My favorite are the 1/4 cup storage cups I get at the dollar store. Most of my Snacks are measured in 1/4 cup units. These make it easy to measure and carry around. Planning your meals and snacks ahead makes life so much easier.

Sent from my SM-T350 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 1/4/2018 at 4:58 AM, Rainbow_Warrior said:

1) Tribest Blender ... mixes Protein Shakes, smoothies ... pulverises foods ... liquidises ... shreds meats, veggies, etc.

2) Small BENTO box for going out with food to others' places ... best to plan ahead.

3) Flat kitchen scales ... accurate to 1 gram up to 5kg (5000 grams).

4) Bowl kitchen scales ... accurate to 0.2 grams up to 3kg (3000 grams)

Which Bento box are you using? I'm debating offering them in the BariatricPal Store.

14 hours ago, Alex Brecher said:

Which Bento box are you using?

SISTEMA 1.25 litre Bento Cube lunch Box. (There are two other sizes: 1.65L and 1.72L)

Made in New Zealand. Available Worldwide.

Available in supermarkets, Kmart, etc. for $5.79 (discount); RRP $8.99.

Try http://www.sistema.com.au ... use search function there.

Bento125_Sistema_View1.thumb.jpeg.10315c3e41319e1ab4e3f30c6a3e6152.jpeg

Bento125_Sistema_View2.jpeg.1661475e28038c0e8387aca92a51c1cf.jpeg

Bento125_Sistema_View3.jpeg

I hope this helps, Alec!

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior