Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you have a protein shake for breakfast?

How often do you have a protein shake for breakfast?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How often do you have a protein shake for breakfast?

• Never
    • One day per week
    • 2-4 days per week
    • 5-7 days per week

I am wondering who all usually has a Protein Shake for Breakfast. My doc and I know many docs advocate real food once you are past the healing phase. However, I also know that many bandsters have problems in the mornings with bands being tighter and such and are only able to get down liquids for a the first few hours. It doesn't seem to me like having a Protein shake for breakfast would be a bad thing as long as it's high quality protein and has some Vitamins in it. What are your thoughts on this?

I voted never, becuase I have little trouble eating in the morning.

But I really see it as a good Breakfast if you'd otherwise not eat or eat something really bad like pop tarts.

If you can eat in the am. then personally I'd take the chance to get in some good quality carbs, a dose of high fibre in the morning, although I know lots of people like a Protein breakfast.

I sometimes make a fruit smoothie with some bran in it.

I voted for 5-7 days a week but not sure if mine counts or not, I don't really eat breakfast as I wait until I am hungry and that's not until 1pm or so. So if you figure that is breakfast, then daily.

Question...

I'm hungry after a shake...well, in about an hour and a half...does this happen to you? If so, how do you control the hunger until lunch???

rain

My shake is 120 calories, 2 carbs, and 23gms Protein. It's the carbs that are a killer. It's the whole blood sugar spike issue. Without carbs I'm not hungry for hours. If I made it with milk (blahhh) the carbs would do me in and I'd be hungry quickly. I happen to prefer Water and for me, that's good.

My friend makes these elaborate shakes with various puddings, fruit, milk or juice, and a little Protein mix. She's hungry within an hour and she just drank a 300 calorie shake. Me? I just use Matrix, Water, and S/F Raspberry Syrup and I'm good to go for 3-4 hours.

But not everyone is like me, some need solids in their pouch. But I think I've been banded long enough that I have an easier time with head hunger issues than someone more recently banded. That's the part that takes a long time to deal with.

So my guess is it is head hunger, carbs causing blood sugar spikes, or maybe you just aren't a Protein Shake person. It doesn't work for everyone. You have to go with what works for you.

I said never. I no longer do the Protein Shake for breakfast. Of course in the beginning, I followed all of my docs orders, but once I hit solids...goodbye Protein shake breakfasts. I usually eat Raisin Nut Bran w/2% milk and a fruit (banana, peaches, pineapple). I'm usually good for about 3 hrs. Then I may have a snack if I'm hungry, usually a different fruit from breakfast. If I don't have Cereal, it's usually scrambled eggs w/a little cheese and that keeps me satisfied usually until lunch.< /p>

Personally speaking I can't live without my Protein Shakes. Yesterday I bought vanilla to mix with my Matcha green tea which I just bought. Often times I'll have a green tea frapuccino from Starbucks so now I am going to make them myself. The Protein alone is 25 grams without milk. More with milk. Yummy.

My dr. said about 2 months ago I can no longer do Protein Shakes because they won't fill me up. I LOVE my shakes because they taste so much like ice cream shakes to me. I experiment a lot with me. I am going to try and put some pumpkin in with vanilla and hopefully it will taste like pumkin pie filling. But I use a very high Protein Shake powder and skim milk and ice and splenda. And a bannana for texter. Ask your doctor and see what he says.

I haven't found one that makes me jump for joy, so I do a Protein Shake for b'fast maybe once a month. I stay full longer if I eat something (like granola bites). But honestly ANYTHING for b'fast keeps me full till lunch.. I'm not a morning eater. I even get stomach rumblings around lunch time, that my body is hungry but my head doesn't catch up, so I don't feel the need to eat. It's reversed at night!

I do one every day for breakfast and usually 4-5 times per week for dinner too. My lunch is my real meal, and I have not had any hunger at all. Of course, I did the Protein Shakes for over a month prior to starting my pre-surgery diet, so I am used to them. 52+ grams of Protein in each one....YUMMMMM

I too have some form of Protein Shake most days for breakfast. I can't tolerate food very well until around lunch time. This suits me fine as I'm often rushing around in the mornings after the kids, so it's easier for me. Better than skipping breakfast altogether - I'd rather have the nutrients!

Nikki

Whats the secret to making a shake that doesnt make you gag? ( I am gag obsessed this morning!)

We have a much more limited choice in the uk and by the time that I have blended it it has the consistancy of, well to put none to fine a point on it, mucus.

I have tried holding my nose and everything and it just isnt working for me- even tried mixing it with yoghurt-ewww - I still have night terrors about it.

How can I get that Protein in??

NIna x

hi

believe it or not....if i skip my Protein shake in the morning...i eat more junk all day long. the shake fills me up and keeps me satisfied for a long time.

i use the Isopure prepackaged shakes with Water. they are delicious.

they have 300 cals and 50 gms of Protein. low carbs.

i have trouble getting in "good" calories so this helps me.

i also take a multi Vitamin with this.