Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new in calgary

I just found this site the other day, and noticed the info regarding getting the lap band in Calgary . My Dr referred me to the weight management clinic in the summer and i am still waiting ....so i called today and asked if it is true about the wait times and was told , "yes "

the wait times would be anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 years and perhaps longer. What a dissapointment !!!!! Ah well I guess it was just too good to be true. I am now looking at my other options and have read some posts about Dr Kirshenbaum in Denver. I think that I will call him tomorrow and see what the wait time is . I am anxious to get the ball rolling.

Are there many members here from Calgary? where did you get your surgery done and what were the costs . I hear that in Ontario there is a clinic and it is about 16000.00. I asked the weight management clinic in calgary if they would do the fill and she said that they will do them for $125.00.

anyway i wonder if it is best to go to Ontario and pay the extra or if anyone in Calgary has gone to Denver. Do you have to fly down for a consult and pre op stuff or can that be done by phone and through your GP???

Sorry for all the questions but Im not as well informed as I would like to be !!! thanks

I had my consult done over the phone. They will have you do blood and X-Ray and your Lab can send/ or fax it to Toronto. I am self pay as my BMI is not high enough to have it done in Calgary.

I am in Calgary & had my surgery done on Valentines Day 2007 at the Surical weight loss clinic in Missasauga.

The staff and care was excellent. My experience started about this time last year. I called the clinic and had a phone consult with Dr. Coburn. They sent me the paperwork which was pretty minor and then we booked the surgery for about 6 week later. It would have been sooner but xmas was in there.

They sent me the information for the pre-op package and my pre-op diet via courier. There was some blood work and questions that my family Dr. had to take care of, but it was pretty routine stuff.

I flew to TO on monday, met with Dr.C for the first time in person on Tuesday, Wednesday I had surgery, Thursday I recovered and Friday I was back at home in Calgary thanks to the people at WestJet.

At the time my surgery was $16K and I dont regret spending a single cent.

If you do decide to go elsewhere make sure that you fills and aftercare is set up BEFORE you commit to the surgery. I know my fill provider, who is $99 and a lot easier to get into see will not touch patients other than Dr. Coburn patients due to the liability issues.

The thing you have to weigh out is the amount of aftercare that you are going to get from what ever clinic you go to. Some clinics leave you on you own after a while and some, like the 2 Toronto clinics are with you for life.

Also, check your personal message boxes as I will send you my number if you want to talk about it.

Andrew

HI there thinner, welcome! I also went to Dr. Cobourn for my surgery in May 2007 and live in Calgary. As was already mentioned, it is imperative to have your aftercare setup before you have the surgery. The aftercare is very important and band success is based on aftercare.

There is tons of information on this board to help in your research both to decide if this surgery is right for you and to find a surgeon and clinic that you are comfortable with. I know for myself, I spent several months purusing the board and the internet and talking to people as I wanted to make sure I fully understood what a major decisoin like this entailed.

Good luck and please ask as many questions as you like. We are all in this together!

P.S. - we all fight over Andrew for his time and very savvy advice - he's a great wealth of information, not to mention a great guy!

P.S. - we all fight over Andrew for his time and very savvy advice - he's a great wealth of information, not to mention a great guy!

There is no need to fight over me. Although there is alot less of me now, there is still plenty to go around. :biggrin1:

Andrew

No kidding there's alot less of you! By the way... I was in for a fill on Tuesday and you're the posted guy for Lapband in that office. They are all so proud of you and so are we!

:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

I went the the Toronto Lap band clinic. I live in Edmonton so I make the flight out. It was 16.000 there and inclides all the fills I just have to pay the airfare.

Hi: I also live in Calgary. I have lots of information for you.

1. I was banded in Toronto at the TLBC,in June, 2007. By the time I paid airfare, hotel, taxi, etc. I think my band probably cost $17,000. I am happy with the band but that is a lot of money.....

2. I told my 71 year old mother (who is very healthy) about my surgery. She wanted a lapband very badly (BMI is low but has other weight related health issues). Losing 30 pounds would make a huge different in the quality of her life but at 71 years old $17,000 seemed like alot of money.

SO AFTER LOTS OF INVESTIGATION and checking with Calgary Dr.'s she had the surgery in Tiajuana (Dr. Ortiz) for $8,500. I travelled with her and was able to make a direct comparison between Canada and Mexico. IF I HAD TO DO IT OVER AGAIN I WOULD OF HAD MY SURGERY IN MEXICO IN A SECOND!!! There was no comparison between the two procedures. And my mom paid almost 1/2 of what I paid. Even at her age the surgery went off without a hitch. We flew home after 24 hours and she is losing slowly (but steadily) and had blood work done yesterday that showed her to be the "picture of health".

I felt a huge responsibility taking my mom to Mexico and was worried - I cannot stress enough how happy we both were with the care she received!!! The medical facilities, staff and physicians were absolutely top notch!!! I spent 5 minutes with the surgeon in Toronto. Following my surgery I never saw the Dr. again. I had to spend the night in the clinic (at an additional charge) because I was from out of town. I was basically left on my own until 7:30 in the am at which time I was escourted to a taxi.

While Dr. Ortiz had all the time in the world for us prior to surgery and then popped in and out for the rest of the day. His medical staff of Dr.s and nurses were around through the day and the following night. My mom was checked very thoroughly before she was discharged.

Dr. Ortiz gave my mother his cell phone number, just like he does to all patients. She has had a couple of occassions where she needed answers to questions and has phoned him - he answers his cell phone personally(even when he is eating Breakfast with his family at a restaurant on a Sunday morning). I have never been given a Dr.'s cell phone number in Canada!!!!!

3. Dr. Mitchell in Calgary is doing both our fills. He ALSO THINKS MEXICO IS AN EXCELLENT CHOICE FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT WANT TO WAIT OR PAY THE BIG $$'S. I could have my fills in Toronto for free but pay Dr. Mitchell $125 with no airfare, taxi costs, etc.

4. Dr. Mitchell plans to be doing the Lapband Surgery for about the same cost as TLBC in 2008 right here in Calgary. He currently does surgery that is covered by AHC, but will be doing "user pay" out of a private clinic very soon. He is the nicest, most thorough Dr. I have ever been to.

5. Prior to both our surgeries we confirmed that we could receive fills here in Calgary. Getting the proper fill level is tricky business and you need to make sure it is convenient and affordable.

I hope I have been helpful.

Wow, Thanks for all the replys and great advice ...Although I think I may be more confused that ever about where to go for the surgery. I am sure that this is the best thing to do for my health , i just have to decide where and when. I think the sooner the better!!

I have now spoken to Dr Cobourn in missisauga and he seems like a very nice man and every one has great things to say about him. I really appreciated the comparison to Mexico as well, although it sounds safe and a great price I think my husband may cart me off to the loony bin if I suggest surgery in Mexico....he's uber conservative and cautious !!!!

I wounder if anyone has info about Dr K in denver ....his price is $9950.

but only includes after care for 3 months . I called the Calgary weight management clinic and they said that a Dr there would do the fills for 125.00 and also if there was an emergency would do surgery to remove the band but would not replace it if necessary. I guess my question is how much after care is needed and is it worth the extra $ 6000.00

If i had bags of money I would go to Dr Cobourn as he seemed great , but I wonder if Dr K in denver is ok as well.....Any thoughts?

No kidding there's alot less of you! By the way... I was in for a fill on Tuesday and you're the posted guy for Lapband in that office. They are all so proud of you and so are we!

:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

Thanks for the lift.

I have been in a bit of a holding pattern latley, but I have found the drive that I need to finish what I have started. I have had some interesting things happen in the last couple of weeks. I am not sure that I can eloborate on them right now though.

I have some other exciting news about me being the poster boy for lap band. Stay tuned.

I hired a personal trainer, so look out. I am hoping to get to 210 by Christmas and get ripped, minus my wrinkled raisin belly.

Also, regarding Mexico, I think it is a viable option. Am I saying that I regret using Dr.C, NEVER. The man gave me my life back and for that I will always hold him on a pedestal.

What I am saying though is that financially it is very tempting and from the evidence on this board there are plenty of happy people that have had bands in Mexico. Dr. K in Denver is also very tempting too based on price and there are also plenty of happy bandsters who have used him as well. What I dont know about, and maybe others can fill me in, is there any sort of "warantee" with those Dr.s. What happens if you need a port replaced or moved or if you have a slip that needs to be fixed surgically? I dont know this and would like to find out.

Andrew

Hi ....

Regarding warantee ..that was on of my concerns as well and also just general support. I called the weight managaement clinic and they said if you have the band put in somwhere else they will do the fills and take it out in an emrgency ,but as far as anything else ...slippage ,erosion, or needing the port replaced they would NOT do. I then calld Dr K and his nurse said she did not know what he would do if you needed anything replaced as it had never happened. ( I think that means you would have to pay again!). So with what Andrew said about the tax deductuion and a little bit back from AHC i think it is about 2500.00-3000.00 more to go to Dr Cobourn which I think is the way I am leaning

THis board is amazing everyone is so supportive and knowledgable ...

Thank you all...........I will be making my decision this weekend and hope to have everything in place to get the surgery before the new year, scary but exciting as well.

I have tried and failed to loose and keep weight off for most of my adult life .....this is my last kick at the cat, so to speak and you are all so inspiring . It is hard to committ to spending this much money when you have failed so often .........................

I am really just starting out on this journey, but I thank goodness that I am close enough to Toronto to get back and forth when I need to. I have had a few issues with my port incision - nothing serious, but just some slow healing. I have lost some weight, but I'm just not at the right fill level yet - it does take time. I'm off for fill Number 3 on Monday.

Andrew I envy you your progress and of course the determination that has contributed to that progress. I guess what I'm thinking is that no matter where we choose to get banded, the follow-up care is going to be really important and needs to be figured out ahead of time. Having the determination to work at increasing activity levels is also going to make huge differences. Good luck to all of us.

Andrew I'm waiting with bated breathe to hear your news!

Cindy

I have tried and failed to loose and keep weight off for most of my adult life .....this is my last kick at the cat, so to speak and you are all so inspiring . It is hard to committ to spending this much money when you have failed so often .........................

That is what it is all about. Many, if not all of use who are banded have had that feeling. I have been overweight since the I was a child, I do not remember a time when I was a "normal" weight.

For me, with the Lapband I am no longer looking over my shoulder to see what event is going to knock me off the wagon. Dont think of it so much as a diet, but rather a whole new way to lose the weight that you need to lose

You can do it for yourself too. No matter who you decide to go with, whether it be Mexico, Dr.K, Dr. Coburn or TLBC in Toronto I dont think you will regret it.

Andrew

I just had the lapband done as well by Dr Yau. I am very happy with my surgery,I have been feeling very well and have been walking lots. I am hoping to be able to lose lots in the honeymoon period. I am from Alberta as well.

Best of luck to you

18 Again

Andrew, can't wait to hear your news. Sounds exciting and a little mysterious. Please, do tell... as soon as you can, that is. :(