Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Actually Had A Craving At Christmas Dinner

Was at the annual family Christmas dinner and I actually had a craving for some of the Desserts. This was the first time since my WLS (4 months) that I craved anything. I didn't eat much during dinner as I never feel hunger and I don't enjoy food any longer. When the desserts came out I had already decided not to have any. To my surprise I actually wanted to have a piece of cake. I didn't succumb to the call of the sweets but it really made me think. If I'm four months out and I have a craving for sweets what will my feelings for food overall be in the months to come? My one fear is digressing back into bad eating habits. Every day I wake up thank the good lord for the blessing he has given me and try to plan my day with 80 grams of Protein and 64 ounces of fluids. I don't stray even a little as I'm the type of person who can't stop at one cookie. Knowing my limitations I have to be as regimented as possible so that I maintain a healthy routine. I find that I'm more comfortable at home eating by myself than with a group in a restaurant or a gathering.

2 hours ago, Danny Paul said:

My one fear is digressing back into bad eating habits

You are the master of your destiny.

You will only fail if you are prepared to let old habits resurface.

Please ... show resolve.

it gets harder the further you get out. Bad habits do tend to try to slip back in to many of our lives. That's why a lot of people experience regain. You just have to have the resolve that that will NOT be you, and be diligent about sticking to your plan. It is a lifelong struggle for a lot of people....

I'm three weeks out. I wanted desert...so I had a little tiny piece. Ate it in a few little bitty bites. About a tablespoon worth. Felt like I'd had enough, and absolutely enjoyed myself. Then, I walked a little bit extra and burned up the hundred calories it cost me.

Learning to live with food is important. Sometimes you're better off abstaining. Sometimes you're better off indulging in a small portion, but being accountable for every calorie. Balance. Living with food...even the temptations....in a healthy way is harder than it looks.

I don't think I can strip food of it's power by running from it. I feel like I have to face it, and master it.

I feel good about how I handled desert. By just having a little, I feel like I finally said.....hey, I can handle you. I can eat a sensible amount of you and know when to quit. I can take responsibility for those extra calories and work them off. I can enjoy this food without abusing it.

This is the kind of balance I'm looking for long term.

49 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

I wanted desert

Sand is pretty low calorie. (Very crunchy too!)

Crap. Dessert! LOL

Habits aren't really habits when it comes to eating. They are choices. Individual choices that you make every time you decide what goes in your mouth. No one eats a piece of cake by accident or without thinking about it.

Cravings are really hard at the holidays but I found that giving myself 20 minutes and having something else made them go away. I was craving shortbread Cookies in a big way a few days ago. So I had some hummus on carrots instead and hated it, haha. But it filled me up enough to make me not want to eat. The idea of the nausea was enough of a deterrent at that point.

Here is what I do. I’m only one months farther out that you. That feeling you get when other people are eating dessert is real, but it doesn’t mean you have to eat what they are eating. I eat 85% or more dark chocolate. It does not stop weight loss. It is a healthy antioxidant food low in sugar. But just a square or two satisfies that dessert feeling where sugar just makes me feel really sick now. So they can have their pie cookie or ice cream, and I am satisfied with my 85% chocolate. It works really really well. You can carry it in your purse or pocket to a restaurant even.

i feel good afterward, NOT SICK. Which controls my craving is a wonderful way. I hope you find a good substitute that works for you.

11 minutes ago, GotProlactinoma said:

Here is what I do. I’m only one months farther out that you. That feeling you get when other people are eating dessert is real, but it doesn’t mean you have to eat what they are eating. I eat 85% or more dark chocolate. It does not stop weight loss. It is a healthy antioxidant food low in sugar. But just a square or two satisfies that dessert feeling where sugar just makes me feel really sick now. So they can have their pie cookie or ice cream, and I am satisfied with my 85% chocolate. It works really really well. You can carry it in your purse or pocket to a restaurant even.

i feel good afterward, NOT SICK. Which controls my craving is a wonderful way. I hope you find a good substitute that works for you.

Dark chocolate? You say 85% is this a specialty item or is it commonly found in stores? Thanks for the tip.

2 hours ago, Danny Paul said:

I am satisfied with my 85% chocolate

There are also 93%, 95% and 97% cocoa content chocolates.

Once the sugar is gone and the cocoa is intense, it's very powerful in feeding chocoholic leanings with just a 10g square or two.

Lindt make some dairy free varieties too.