Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BariatricPals online reputation

This sites reputation is unfortunate. Not looking for responses on this post. Sad, but I already know the dramatic post will follow.....

Many members here are supportive and do their best to give perspective and advice.

Advice that may be bad, good, mean, sugar coated, judgmental, inappropriate, You are adults, You decide what to read and respond to. Take what is useful and leave the rest.

Same BS different day - Who said anyone had to like, approve or agree with anything posted in any forum? The different perspectives, advice and personality types seem to shock some of you. How you interpret and respond to posts is your own issue.

Some people thrive on negative attention and conflict. Learn to recognise that they are baiting you into an argument or drama. Learn to ignore them and move on. Or set your ignore button.

Be aware some people register for this site that are not bariatric patients. They love it when they get you to respond and argue. You are their cheap thrill of entertainment if they can make you angry.

We've been around since 2003. I've seen many members and groups come and go. Most are very supportive and I'm glad we've been a part of their WLS journey. There are always a few bad apples that try to ruin things for everyone. We banned a group of members a few months ago and I have to say the site has definitely become more supportive and taken on a friendlier tone.

Please report any topic you suspect has been created by someone that's just trying to bait our members. We will investigate and take immediate action if warranted.

I'd LOVE to hear suggestions on how you and our other long-term members feel that we can improve things! I'm always open to listening and implementing member suggestions.

25 minutes ago, Alex Brecher said:

I'd LOVE to hear suggestions on how you and our other long-term members feel that we can improve things! I'm always open to listening and implementing member suggestions.

This topic is not new here. I'm not going to rehash that situation.

No reason to take this as an insult to your site. I think it has a lot of positives. I'm only suggesting basic 101 on how members can take what is useful and learn not to respond to drama and trolls.

There is no way any site can monitor the amount of traffic and control people's behavior.

You and your staff do not have the kind of time and resources to monitor 100% of the time. You do your best.

3 hours ago, Alex Brecher said:

I think in comparison to a lot of message boards I have been a part of, not always bariatric, this site is actually pretty good and the majority of members are supportive. There are a few that come off as abrasive in their replies, but that is everywhere, even IRL, lol, not just this site. It's helpful to some degree to get others perspectives and opinions, but that's exactly what they are, others opinions, which may or may not be in agreement with my own. That's ok, sometimes it's good to hear differing viewpoints. I think it's a problem if someone is trying to use a message board as a substitute for medical advice or for true surgical support, because some of the advice I've read out there on the web makes me cringe, but as @jenn1 said take what you want from it and leave the rest.

I belong to few forums (non bariatric) and each of them has its problems with Trolls. Even if the forum requires one to provide bonifide ID to join. Seems some people consider trolling on websites a form of entertainment. Eventually they get banned.

Like life - we are adults. It is what we make it. A reputation is not a thing - just a concept.