Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone do any type of thank you for the nurses that took care of them?

I stayed 3 nights in the hospital following my surgery then an additional night a few weeks later after some complications. I stayed on the same floor and had all the same nurses

Each RN and LVN was fantastic. Friendly, caring, etc. I didn't have any family staying or visiting me in the hospital and they all made sure to spend a little extra time with me just chatting.

I'd like to get them a thank you but I'm not sure if that is weird or what to get. Did anyone else do a thank you for the nurses or doctors office? I was thinking I'd do something for the day shift and something different for the night shift.

Any thoughts or nurses out there with ideas! These people had the good drugs, they're my hero!

I think it's nice. They work really hard and probably don't always feel appreciated. There were lots of notes up in the halls at my hospital. You could send a nice fruit basket or edible arrangement. I'm sure they would appreciate that. But even just a note, I'm sure is much appreciated.

I mean if theres one nurse in particular who stood out, writing a letter makes them look good and often gets them some kind of accommodation. Otherwise I would say just dropping off food (yes crap food is much higher in demand than healthy stuff) goes a long way as well.

Keep in mind it is the holidays so theyre likely all getting bombarded with stuff everyday.

If youre adamant on buying something, just pick whatever area was your "favorite" and get them it. You cant realistically buy something for everybody. Between the OR, PACU, the floor day + night shift, + the drs office thats too much.

I just texted all my surgeons on the DOS how much I appreciated everything, of course I was really messed up on Dialudid at the time...

Edited by Mhy12784

Also I would probably shy away from anything like edible arrangements. Something like that is great if you want to get a thank you for just your surgeon. But if youre getting something for a unit (which it sounds like thats your intention) youre far better off going to costco/sams club/bjs whatever wholesale retailer you use. And just getting some large trays of whatever looks good/is reasonably priced and then include a nice thank you card with it.. Cookies brownies maybe cupcakes are the safest bets. Basically **** that we cant eat anymore :P

The reality is with nurses theyre more likely to complain/get annoyed about not getting anything/enough of whatever because it happens a lot (nurses are very territorial about their food). So volume is almost certainly more important than something looking pretty (as its just going to get mobbed as soon as they get it anyway)

Edited by Mhy12784

I had my first breast cancer surgery on Nov. 1 (All Saints Day). I took a huge fishbowl of premium Halloween candy up to the room and had it on my tray at the foot of the bed for the docs and nurses...basically no one touched it the whole time despite our invitation any time someone entered the room. LOL. They were not eating candy! Or at least they weren't that day! :D

A nice note sent to the CEO or President of the hospital about your great experience is always appreciated, especially if you remember names of the people who took good care of you. Sending to the CEO/President ensures it gets seen as it filters down through the ranks, because they usually send it to the dept manager to show to the department and staff who were mentioned, and to put a copy in the employees file.

If you want to send food, I agree with the poster above who said get something in bulk from costco or Sams Club as opposed to a smaller, prettier arrangement. Costco used to have these awesome giant Breakfast muffins in a bulk pack in several different flavors. :D And it's true, junk food will get eaten with no crumb left behind. Most nurses like their sugar and caffeine while working a 12 hour shift!

@FluffyChix Nurses won't usually take anything, especially something consumable, from a patient room. One reason is that nurses see the germiest patients at times, not saying you are one, lol, but eating something that came from a patient room would be a potential germfest. Another reason, it is prohibited to accept personal gifts in most places, and taking something from a patient room would be like accepting a personal gift or taking something from a patients personal belongings. Now send a bag of candy out to the nurses station for them to put in their break room (it's then "theirs" and not "yours") and it would likely not last the shift!

I've been a nurse for a million years (ok, not that many) and we did get Thank You's, here and there. A card, or even better, a letter, is nice. food is always appreciated. Some things we got as gifts include donuts, Cookies, Bagels w/cream cheese & butter on the side, soft pretzels, a tray with nuts and cheese and crackers.

Whatever you do for them, it will def. be appreciated.

I always buy gifts for the nurses when I'm in hospital. Fancy chocolates, couple cases of doughnuts. Stuff like that.

It's not much but I like to let them know I appreciate the work they do.

On 12/8/2017 at 1:10 PM, ChaosUnlimited said:

Nurses won't usually take anything, especially something consumable, from a patient room. One reason is that nurses see the germiest patients at times, not saying you are one, lol, but eating something that came from a patient room would be a potential germfest. Another reason, it is prohibited to accept personal gifts in most places, and taking something from a patient room would be like accepting a personal gift or taking something from a patients personal belongings. Now send a bag of candy out to the nurses station for them to put in their break room (it's then "theirs" and not "yours") and it would likely not last the shift!

As a nurse, this.

A well thought out letter sent with a food tray for their unit is always appreciated. We have people bring us donuts, Cookies, candy, even pizza as a thank you. Can’t go wrong with a nice letter and some food!

Cake pops are fun. Awesome bakery here does really tasty Orange cake pops with dark chocolate coating. Very yummy and can be arranged really pretty.

Flowers are nice, too.

I am a nurse and a simple note of thanks makes it all worth it. Yes we love food. I obviously did, lol. But if you can send a note and put the names of the nurses on it they will appreciate it.