Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ESG Progress Updates For Accountability

57 minutes ago, ASHLEIGH77 said:

hey everyone.. I am getting ESG 03/28/2018 everyone's stories are great reads.. Anyone have Dr. Sharaiha? How are feeling or were feeling post opp and any regrets doing the surgery?

Sorry love I did not have Sharaiha but I’ve read several posts about how great of a doctor and a surgeon she is. I do believe that there are a few in our group here that have done the esg with her and I hope they respond. However, if you have a Facebook then join the esg group USA and you’ll find several accounts of her there. You just have to search her name while in the group and you’ll get an abundance of information about her and several experiences as well. Good luck on 3/28. We’re all rooting for you!!

Hi Ashleigh!

I had mine done in November with Dr. Shariah- LOVE HER and the entire staff at Weill Cornell.

I couldn't be happier with how it went and my results. I'm down 29 lbs now and am just about 4lbs away from my goal.

If you look at my earlier postings, it will walk you through my experience. But I'll tell you I had no issues. the procedure took about 45 minutes, then you are in recovery for a few hours and then you head back home.

There wasn't any serious down time for me. I had no nausea, the scopolamine patch was enough for me (I have used it in the past on a cruise to prevent seasickness).

I see you're from Ohio so I don't know what your plan is after the procedure but if you have any specific questions, just let me know.

AmyA

AmyA,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am staying in a hotel Wednesday and Thursday and going home Friday after my upper GI series. I live in Ohio Yes. We were going to fly home, but I didn't want to have to sit in a small plane and fly home if I happen to uncomfortable. So we are driving and I'm okay with it. I am super excited, but I do have anxiety. I think that it's normal to feel alittle scared. I think I'm more nervous about the 1st 2 days post op, but I love the office, and they are super sweet to me!! thus far... My goal is to lost 50 plus pounds, but I guess you get what you put in.. so that's my goal... Do you have a Facebook? I'm on the Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty fb group....

Much Love,

Ash

On 3/16/2018 at 4:37 PM, ASHLEIGH77 said:

AmyA,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am staying in a hotel Wednesday and Thursday and going home Friday after my upper GI series. I live in Ohio Yes. We were going to fly home, but I didn't want to have to sit in a small plane and fly home if I happen to uncomfortable. So we are driving and I'm okay with it. I am super excited, but I do have anxiety. I think that it's normal to feel alittle scared. I think I'm more nervous about the 1st 2 days post op, but I love the office, and they are super sweet to me!! thus far... My goal is to lost 50 plus pounds, but I guess you get what you put in.. so that's my goal... Do you have a Facebook? I'm on the Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty fb group....

Much Love,

Ash

Hi Ash

Anxiety is totally normal- Dr. Shariah and the team will make you at ease when you get there. You should be fine, just be sure to have your liquids at hand on your post op days, and plan them for your drive home. (I am now addicted to Vitamin Water Zero- try it, it's delish).

I don't remember how long I kept the patch on, so be sure to ask them. Keep your paperwork/instructions. I'd suggest getting your Protein Shakes, SF Jello, Soups before you leave so they are at home waiting for you and you don't have to worry about it.

I'm so excited for you! This is the start of a new chapter in your life and if you are like me, you will be thrilled with the results.

AmyA

ps: Im not on the Facebook group but I'll check it out :)

AmyA,

Okay.. So grocery list is completed. I have got all my Vitamins, my Protein (read to drink) purchased, my creamed Soups (when I am allowed to drink them) and also protein Water and Vitamin water zero already ready at home. I have been prepping myself mentally and telling myself that I need this, i want this and I deserve this. I am super excited and happy that I have found you and this group. It's inspiring to ready everyone's comments and I am super thankful for the encouragement and love. I appreciate it so much and believe me.. I will make sure everyone is seeing my results... :)

Ash

Good luck Ashleigh! I have a phone consultation scheduled for April 2 to get the ball rolling with Dr. Marvin and I can't wait to get started myself! I will be watching your progress and rooting for you.

Sounds like you are on top of everything! Keep us posted on everything!

Not sure if I have updated my ticker correctly but I am officially 20kg down today!!!

My six month anniversary feelings on esg....

If I can do this then I think anyone can. For those of you post op - trust your esg and work with it. You need to put in the effort and if you do, it works. For those of you considering esg, there are many of us making steady progress towards realistic and healthy goal weights.

The "restriction" is not what I imagined. It does limit the volume you can eat but you have to make the mental choice to put the fork down. I am less interested in snacking as the food moves slower through the stomach (mine was shortened as well as reduced in width).

I have reintroduced a Protein Shake for Breakfast as this really helps to curb my appetite later in the day. Regular exercise also keeps me eating better as I don't want to undo all the hard work at the gym for extra food. I look forward to eating a treat or special meal but no longer let this unravel my day or week of healthy eating. Its right back to nutritious food.

The next decision is how many more kgs I want to lose. I am having another body composition scan tomorrow to measure my fat loss and muscle gain since my esg and follow up with my doctor on Friday.

If you had of told me that I would lose 20kg in six months I would have not believed it. Very greatful to be here and continuing to lose a little more.

If the esg is for you, do it.

If not, do something.

Living life in an obese body is hard. And the years tick by. Before you know it, another decade will pass in an overweight body. I know it's scary. Take the leap of faith, wherever that takes you. Good luck.

Mel x

6 hours ago, patriciaholland said:

hai everyone count down 3 days now i wanna scream lost 3.5 kilo with the pre stage ready for my ESG

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow Patricia! If you’ve already lost 3.5 kgs. then you are definitely ready for this! Just as Melesg has posted, a lot of your success will depend on your state of mind. If you have the discipline pre ESG then once you’ve had the procedure it should only be easier to continue. I’m very excited for you. I will have you in my prayers. I just know you will do fine and I’m anxious to hear about your success soon. All my best and I wish you a speedy recovery!

3 hours ago, Melesg said:

Not sure if I have updated my ticker correctly but I am officially 20kg down today!!!

My six month anniversary feelings on esg....

If I can do this then I think anyone can. For those of you post op - trust your esg and work with it. You need to put in the effort and if you do, it works. For those of you considering esg, there are many of us making steady progress towards realistic and healthy goal weights.

The "restriction" is not what I imagined. It does limit the volume you can eat but you have to make the mental choice to put the fork down. I am less interested in snacking as the food moves slower through the stomach (mine was shortened as well as reduced in width).

I have reintroduced a Protein Shake for Breakfast as this really helps to curb my appetite later in the day. Regular exercise also keeps me eating better as I don't want to undo all the hard work at the gym for extra food. I look forward to eating a treat or special meal but no longer let this unravel my day or week of healthy eating. Its right back to nutritious food.

The next decision is how many more kgs I want to lose. I am having another body composition scan tomorrow to measure my fat loss and muscle gain since my esg and follow up with my doctor on Friday.

If you had of told me that I would lose 20kg in six months I would have not believed it. Very greatful to be here and continuing to lose a little more.

If the esg is for you, do it.

If not, do something.

Living life in an obese body is hard. And the years tick by. Before you know it, another decade will pass in an overweight body. I know it's scary. Take the leap of faith, wherever that takes you. Good luck.

Mel x

Hello again old friend. Very inspirational as usual. Did you ever think that after losing a very impressive 20 kgs. you’d be trying to decide how much more you want to lose? Your hard work and persistence is what got you there and I congratulate you on your success.

Your words couldn’t be more true. I’ve spent the better part of the decade hating my obese body or just accepting that I won’t ever look the way I want to. Why should we settle? We can have the body we always wanted, it just takes patience and determination. This procedure is certainly not a magic solution but it does make it easier to stay the course. You were right about the restriction being less than what I had hoped but it does stop me from overeating the way I used to after going on one of my ridiculous extreme diets.

So proud of you Mel! 20 kgs. is amazing. You are averaging about 7 lbs. a month which my doctor thinks is excellent. I’m six weeks post op today and my total weight loss is about 13 pounds. It’s not an enormous amount but I know I couldn’t have done it without this procedure. I’m going to keep exercising and eating the right foods as I still have a little over 30 pounds to go. It’s so great to have this forum. Your support and experiences are what keep me motivated!!

Mel,

Thank you so much for sharing your information with me... so many people have asked me... Are you sure? Do you really want to do this? Aren't you scared? Why can't you just work harder to lose the weight... But during these questions and the 40 years I have lived, I realized that my entire existence since I can remember, I have always been the cute chubby girl. The funny fat girl. I am tired. I am so much more than just the outside, but i am not comfortable in my body. I want to be able to fun, bike swim and not get winded. I want to feel comfortable all the time, not when I am starving myself. I have been mentally preparing and trying to convince myself that I am doing this for me and no one else. I am doing this to be an example for my daughter that it's okay to be strong and be positive and it's totally okay to put yourself first. Thank you so much.. I really appreciate it....

18 hours ago, hope4momof4 said:

Hello again old friend. Very inspirational as usual. Did you ever think that after losing a very impressive 20 kgs. you’d be trying to decide how much more you want to lose? Your hard work and persistence is what got you there and I congratulate you on your success.

Your words couldn’t be more true. I’ve spent the better part of the decade hating my obese body or just accepting that I won’t ever look the way I want to. Why should we settle? We can have the body we always wanted, it just takes patience and determination. This procedure is certainly not a magic solution but it does make it easier to stay the course. You were right about the restriction being less than what I had hoped but it does stop me from overeating the way I used to after going on one of my ridiculous extreme diets.

So proud of you Mel! 20 kgs. is amazing. You are averaging about 7 lbs. a month which my doctor thinks is excellent. I’m six weeks post op today and my total weight loss is about 13 pounds. It’s not an enormous amount but I know I couldn’t have done it without this procedure. I’m going to keep exercising and eating the right foods as I still have a little over 30 pounds to go. It’s so great to have this forum. Your support and experiences are what keep me motivated!!

You are doing wonderful and I'm very proud of you. I honestly think the slower pace of weightloss has allowed me to learn the lessons that I need to keep moving forward. The trial and error of seeing how much you can eat and lose weight is important. The stalls have also taught me the importance of both consistency and the need to be forever changing what you do. Changing the exercise, adding Protein, drinking more Water, curbing the snacking and admitting when I wander off track are important things to learn and implement. As much as overnight weightloss would be awesome, it would not change your thoughts and mind set.

Surrender to the reeducation and be as patient as you can - it's worth it!

Mel x

16 hours ago, ASHLEIGH77 said:

Mel,

Thank you so much for sharing your information with me... so many people have asked me... Are you sure? Do you really want to do this? Aren't you scared? Why can't you just work harder to lose the weight... But during these questions and the 40 years I have lived, I realized that my entire existence since I can remember, I have always been the cute chubby girl. The funny fat girl. I am tired. I am so much more than just the outside, but i am not comfortable in my body. I want to be able to fun, bike swim and not get winded. I want to feel comfortable all the time, not when I am starving myself. I have been mentally preparing and trying to convince myself that I am doing this for me and no one else. I am doing this to be an example for my daughter that it's okay to be strong and be positive and it's totally okay to put yourself first. Thank you so much.. I really appreciate it....

Hi Ashleigh,

Its lovely to hear from you. I can totally relate and knew the esg could give me a real chance to be happy. It's impossible not to have our kids as a huge motivator - they are so influenced by us and as such, it's very important to be a great role model and to be fully present. I'm sure you are a brilliant mum, but it's hard to see that when you feel exhausted and when you hold yourself back due to weight. I HATE the fact that I am in very few photos and movies when my kids were little. I never felt that I wanted to be in front of the camera so don't have photos that show how much we loved spending time together and the pure joy that they had on their faces when I played with them.

Its for that reason that I am going on a beach holiday and be very active with my family soon, not only will I be in the photos, I will be in swimwear 😳😬. And make no mistakes, I am still working on my bikini bod. But you know what... I just don't care. Really couldn't give a stuff how I look. But I will feel amazing being surrounded by my kiddos. And there will be photos this time

If you decide the esg is for you, it can work. Absolutely. You just have to tap into the support on offer and keep working on your progress.

Mel

mel,

I am scheduled for ESG Wednesday in 1 week!!

Can't wait!!

ash