Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which embarrasses you more?

Which embarrasses you more?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which embarrasses you more?

• Those who notice and comment on your weight loss?
    • Those who do not notice a significant weight loss frustrate me!
    • Only those who make a big deal out of it makes my shy side come out yet I appreciate their support.
    • Doesn't matter, I don't care in the least.

Hard one to answer for me as I havent lost that much yet,but, when people have commented it makes me feel good,it is a kind of reaffamation (?) that I am headed in the right direction. How I would feel depends on the person who is saying it and the tone in which it is said.

I am much more likely to take it as a compliment from someone that I dont have a negative history with.

Nina x

it doesnt embarass me weather people make comments about my weight or if they dont[i often find if you go around saying that your trying to lose weight,people just tend to say things like,oh yeah,i can see you have lost it in your face,when really they cant tell at all,i get anoyed at these people/i dont tell people im loseing weight/or trying to,then when someone comments that i have lost,then i know that they are genuine.and yes,i find it nice to get complimeants,dont most people?:)

Oh, you guys and yer in-laws! My maw-in-law was being totally insensitive when my beloved baby brother suddenly died. All she wanted to talk about was the cottage she was building. So my mum died two months later and I never told her anything about it. We spent 2 weeks at her bedside watching her die and I ordered my husband to keep his mouth shut. I really didn't feel that I could deal with my maw-in-law at this time.

So, about 2 months later and behind my back she phones up my cousin and his family in order to invite them and my mum up to the cottage! My cousin does the equivalent of a double take! He is totally shocked! ....And then he finally tells he that my mum is dead.

im so sorry to hear of your loss,your mother in law sounds like mine[self obsorbed,that they are the only ones who have feelings/and tend to think that they are better than anyone else.glad to hear your side is more supportive,im not sure our husbands/wifes know how to help us at times when it comes to there parents,i think they can be just as shoked as us.my husbands mum gave me a dog bowl for my 30th bday comming up,i was so insulted/i dont evan have a dog anymore/glad to see she thinks so highly of me,and i know we shouldnt compare to others in the family,however a lot of care goes into gift giveing to other family members,she could have evan got reduced hand creams that would have been more personal.but i should be used to it,at least when i gift give/even when i cant afford it,i try to get people things that i think they would like.

I like complements. I really like it when my husband says "I can tell your butt is getting smaller." He pays close attention to matters like that.

I don't mind the attention if it is short lived. I don't want someone going on and on and on about it. The WORST thing that someone has said to me to piss me off was, "HOW MUCH MORE ARE YOU GOING TO LOSE??" With an astounded look on their face as if I was a skeleton standing in front of them. I just want to say, "For Gods sake, look at me, are you really thinking I should quit NOW????" Maybe they are really trying to say to me, "wow, you have A LONGGGGGG way to go yet!!!!"

im so sorry to hear of your loss,your mother in law sounds like mine[self obsorbed,that they are the only ones who have feelings/and tend to think that they are better than anyone else.glad to hear your side is more supportive,im not sure our husbands/wifes know how to help us at times when it comes to there parents,i think they can be just as shoked as us.my husbands mum gave me a dog bowl for my 30th bday comming up,i was so insulted/i dont evan have a dog anymore/glad to see she thinks so highly of me,and i know we shouldnt compare to others in the family,however a lot of care goes into gift giveing to other family members,she could have evan got reduced hand creams that would have been more personal.but i should be used to it,at least when i gift give/even when i cant afford it,i try to get people things that i think they would like.

Thanks for those kind words, Blue Eyed. A dawg bowl!!!! Man, that is rude!!!! :omg:

P.S. You could do the regifting thing and innocently give it back to her next Christmas. *wink*

I think the bigger question is how do we react to others who've lost weight! I tend to be like "Hey!!?! You look GREAT! Have you lost weight?"

Some people are quite delighted to rattle of their stats and what they're doing/have done, while others look like they just smelled something nasty and can't wait to get away from me!

In the past I've really loved the compliments when I'm losing. Right now -- as currently reigning PLATEAU QUEEN -- I don't feel I've lost enough to be noticeable, so I tend to feel like the compliments I'm getting are just courtesy or sympathy remarks because people WANT IT FOR ME so bad.

I don't mind the compliments... they can be nice. What I mind are the food nazis. The "OH, should you be eating that" people. I have a very good friend that I work closely with and have business lunches with very frequently... she has never had a weight issue a day in her life. I would kill for her figure! Anyway, she acts like my personal food police and in front of others! She really does mean well, but man she pisses me off!!! UGH!

I prefer a short Hey you look great..then next topic.. I know its meant well, but Ive been the fat girl in the courner to feel comfortable about being congratulated for more than a min.

I hate being called skinny.. Im not skinny, skinnier, not skinny. A pole is skinny, a supermodel is skinny..o wait already said that..:rolleyes:I have curves..they may not be in the right location but they exist, so I am not skinny..I prefer good..just good..Im a simple kinda girl what can I say

I don't mind the compliments... they can be nice. What I mind are the food nazis. The "OH, should you be eating that" people. I have a very good friend that I work closely with and have business lunches with very frequently... she has never had a weight issue a day in her life. I would kill for her figure! Anyway, she acts like my personal food police and in front of others! She really does mean well, but man she pisses me off!!! UGH!
Ditto. My brother's bad about that, mainly because his ex was a nutritionist for a bariatric surgeon, and he now thinks he knows everything about the band and what I should be doing.

One thing that bothers me about real time is when someone stands back in absolute shock and tells me how great I look. I understand their intent but it also tells me I was obviously a heifer a year ago. HA! Sometimes people just can't win!

That's so funny! That's exactly how I feel. :biggrin1:

I was called a sylph yesterday by an old friend who hadn't seen me for awhile. I did enjoy this and was pleased when he repeated it later during the course of our visit.

green you were called a what?:(

A sylph, a slender graceful woman or girl (according to one of the meanings of my copy of the Oxford English Dictionary). :biggrin1: Pretty nice, eh?