Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which embarrasses you more?

Which embarrasses you more?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which embarrasses you more?

• Those who notice and comment on your weight loss?
    • Those who do not notice a significant weight loss frustrate me!
    • Only those who make a big deal out of it makes my shy side come out yet I appreciate their support.
    • Doesn't matter, I don't care in the least.

People who notice your weight loss or those who don't?

I have had a couple of threads where people ask me how I did it or congrats on doing it. I tend to avoid those threads out of embarrassment. Then when I get a dose of courage I jump in and respond.

What about you?

My mother in law, who is weight obsessed and every conversation is about weight.......did not say a word to me! Well actually she did after being here for 3+ hours and she saw that I did not eat something....I said I have been watching what I eat.....she said you look thinner in a low under her breath kind of way! ARGGHHH.

Now I do not want compliments wherever I go but I have lost 50lbs and she commented on every pound that I gained.....nothing when I am losing!!! Go figure!

People I barley know come up to me in town and say you look great or make a nice little comment and I appreciate every one! It keeps me motivated, on the other hand I hate the direct question of how much have you lost. I think that is over the top!

Maureen

My mother in law, who is weight obsessed and every conversation is about weight.......did not say a word to me! Well actually she did after being here for 3+ hours and she saw that I did not eat something....I said I have been watching what I eat.....she said you look thinner in a low under her breath kind of way! ARGGHHH.

Face it, your ma' in law is a bitch from hell.

If you're asking about here then it's A-OK for people to discuss my weight HERE. It's in real life that I can.not.stand for anyone to mention it at all. I'm here, obviously, because I need to be thinking about my weight and talking about my experience (good or bad) is part of that. But in my daily life I'm focused on other things and consider any mention of my weight an etiquette violation--except by very close friends.

Number three for me too! Luckily many have been polite or respectful. But there have been several whose comments start with a high pitched OH MY GOD......that's when you know you are in trouble!!!!

I'm in the beginning, and have about 100 more pounds to lose. But, I've lost almost 30, and clothes I haven't been able to wear are fitting and I *think* I'm looking better. And no one has said anything, except my mother! And, everyone knows comments from your mom don't count! :rolleyes:

So, I'm not sure. On one hand, I want someone to say SOMETHING. But, then, if a big deal were made of it I think I'd feel ashamed that I still have so much more to go.

So, in another words, my friends and loved ones can't win since I'm just a flakey B*****.

I voted for number 3. I really don't mind people noticing my weight loss and I do enjoy the compliments. I have had a few odd reactions, though. I have had some folks asking me or my husband if I have been ill and they always use that cancer-voice! I find that a little weird but that's life, isn't it?

And then there was the cottage couple who hadn't seen me for a year who came running over screaming that they wanted to see the "half a woman!" That, too, was very weird.

I guess the ones who really annoy me are the ones who won't let the topic drop. These are the ones who are determined to find out what my trick was. I am also none too pleased by the ones who compliment me on my weight loss and then tell me with gloomy pleasure that I will gain it all back within 2 years. Yep, that is really irritating.

So far I have only lost 18lbs, but I love it when people notice that I have lost weight. I have felt so bad about myself for so long that I love the positive attention that I am getting. I can't wait for more!!!!!!

People who notice your weight loss or those who don't?

I have had a couple of threads where people ask me how I did it or congrats on doing it. I tend to avoid those threads out of embarrassment. Then when I get a dose of courage I jump in and respond.

What about you?

Definitely #4. I have learned not to let someone's reaction to my appearance, good or bad, bother me anymore. And btw - I am progressing nicely - heartburn was a one day event. Still not rushing things, but I am so hopeful that this fill is the one!

#1 here.

I always try and steer the conversation away from my appearance. I never give out the real number of pounds lost in real life either. I just say thank you and ask them a quick question back. As time goes on my theory is unless they see an old pic of me ...they wont even remember how fat I was.

I don't mind the people that notice my weight loss, but when they start asking if I had gastric bypass, I don't like that. My weight loss has been slow. There are a lot of people I don't see very often so it's a surprise to them. I tell them I have been going to the gym every day for over 3 years, so I guess it's finally paying off.