Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of a buddy or mentor!!

I'm 5 months post-op and I don't feel like I'm in a good place. I have a lot of stress and have reverted back to my old habits that got me in trouble in the first place! I can feel my stomach stretching and it's frustrating to know I went through such a major surgery and I'm messing it up. I don't talk to people about my surgery or my health so I think I need a good support system to help me through this journey, or at least this hurdle, because I don't think I can do this alone. :/

I can relate to everything you said.

I had surgery 2 years ago and have had way more success than I thought I would have. My eating habits are dramatically different and I even exercise which is a first for me (I was made fun of, as a kid).

But between 6 months to 1 year out, I was in the same place as you. I had completely stalled and I was eating the worst food for those of us who've had the surgery (ice cream, simple carbs, fast food). I had self-paid and I was having to pay back my loan while I was not losing anymore weight. I was completely despondent.

What has worked for me is OA-- it really is a 12 step program for people who have no control over their eating and food behaviors. My experience was that I was in a dire position: I had taken the most drastic measure possible and still had the same problem as before the surgery.

Please message or PM me if you want help!! Helping other has helped me to live a sane life at peace.

Other resources include:

Overeaters Anonymous: OA's website that has meeting lists, literature, and other information

OA Hour of Power: A fellowship within OA that relies on the spiritual solution found in the 12 steps (any religion, belief system, or denominations are welcome.

Just coming to this site can be a support group. I tend to come & go but I know when I'm hitting the boards on a regular basis it's more motivation for me to stay the course.

I had surgery in January and I've felt the same as you. While I don't feel like I'm reverting to a lot of bad habits there are battles that I'm still having. Have to remember that the surgery is a tool to help us. There's so many other things that go into this.

Don't beat yourself up too much. Take a deep breath and refocus. Think back to what was working and don't get down on yourself. I'm needing a recharge after being in a stall for what seems like 2 months now.