Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I can’t meet liquids

I am 3 weeks out and can not get more than 16oz liquid in. Forget food. I am not getting but like 10 to 20 grams of Protein and only averaging 200 calories a day. Should I be concerned?

Yes. Your body needs liquid and Protein to heal. You need to find something that works. Bone Broth, protein Soup, protein Water, or put unflavored powder into drinks. What's keeping you from getting more? Lack of interest? Pain, nausea, etc?

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was struggling with the liquids too and ended up back in the hospital for 4 days. They are the most important part. My dr said to drink 2-3 sugar free powerades a day to keep my electrolytes up. It’s super hard but I just set times I have to have it finished by. Seems to help. I almost mix them Water because I think they are too sweet

Im struggling with Water intake too.. lucky if I get 16-20 oz. and for thé last week seem to struggle with food intake too... so far I’ve noticed that if I warm the water it doesn’t hurt as bad.. ( that’s how I get the 16/20oz) I’m averaging 50-55 g of Protein per day.. (only due to shakes) as food is harder to eat this past week for some reason ... I was sleeved 18/oct/2017 and have lost 12 lbs since surgery...my 1 st follow up with the dr is on week 6 ( dec 7th)....
Feeling a bit bummed and insecure

You need to call your surgeons NOW and get seen sooner if you can. Have you told them of this struggle? That's what they are getting paid to do.

You must do whatever it takes to push the fluids or you will dehydrate and ruin your kidneys among other things. Popsicles, hot tea, Soups, crystal light, add fruit to plain Water, Vitamin water zero. Alternate warm and popsicles every 15 minutes drink anything you can. Nevermind waiting for that 30 minutes or an hour after the shakes or soups - at this point it is all about healing and staying hydrated.

Let us know.

If y'all are only getting 20oz of Fluid a day, you need to go to the ER for fluids.

Never consume more Protein grams than ounces of fluids. You can't digest it. If you are getting 40oz of fluid (the bare minimum for keeping you out of the ER), then don't take in more than 40g protein.

Once you can get your 64oz fluid, then you can have your 60-70g protein.

I contacted my dr and they didn’t seem concerned... get just said to keep trying to get my Water in . My first check up is on post-op week 6 (dec7th)

Prior to surgery I was lucky if had 24oz of water per day... Never was a big water drinker. With only little sips it makes it hard to get my 24 oz in... warming the water does help.

As for the waters mentioned above , I don’t think we have those here .. why would those be better ? Do they have Vitamins too in them?
J

7 hours ago, eastcoastNB said:

I contacted my dr and they didn’t seem concerned... get just said to keep trying to get my Water in . My first check up is on post-op week 6 (dec7th)

They aren't concerned about you getting less than 20oz of Fluid a day?

Well, you should become familiar with what dehydration feels like.. dark urine, confusion, and dizziness. When you stand up, you'll get light-headed, and may have an interruption in vision or hearing. You should be urinating at least 4 times a day.

People that don't drink much preop are still eating food, and carbohydrates provide the body with some amount of Water during the digestion process. Postop, we aren't eating, so our only source of water is the fluids we drink.

They aren't concerned about you getting less than 20oz of Fluid a day?
Well, you should become familiar with what dehydration feels like.. dark urine, confusion, and dizziness. When you stand up, you'll get light-headed, and may have an interruption in vision or hearing. You should be urinating at least 4 times a day.
People that don't drink much preop are still eating food, and carbohydrates provide the body with some amount of Water during the digestion process. Postop, we aren't eating, so our only source of water is the fluids we drink.

Yes you are correct.. they didn’t show concern, they just told me to keep trying ...
As for dehydration... yup I know it!! Which is why I had called them. I seem to get more water in at night (8/16 oz) .. I feel nauseous when trying to get my water in the am or mid day ( not sure why)
All I can do is think positive and keep trying !!!

I meant to say that if you become dehydrated, go on to the ER or someplace for fluids. You don't need your surgeon's permission.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:08 PM, eastcoastNB said:

Yes you are correct.. they didn’t show concern, they just told me to keep trying ...
As for dehydration... yup I know it!! Which is why I had called them. I seem to get more Water in at night (8/16 oz) .. I feel nauseous when trying to get my water in the am or mid day ( not sure why)
All I can do is think positive and keep trying !!!

Are you taking any medication for nausea ? I’m only one day post op but when I told my surgeon about my strong gag reflex and how my body and appetite completely shun food/drinks specially water, he prescribed me with weeks worth of nausea meds that I’ll put under my tung.

i’m also told to alternate between things, Protein Shakes, water, watered down purées, then Protein shakes etc etc..

i hope you are doing better and good luck to you and all of us