Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder problems

I was banded in Feb 07 and have lost 70+ lbs then I started waking up in the night throwing up. The dr. unfilled my band and Monday I had an endoscope of my stomach and ultrasound of my gallbladder and they saw gallstones.

My dr. doesn't want to remove the gallbladder because I'm not have symptoms right now but my opinion is that the stones will not go away so why wait to have it removed??

Does anyone have suggestions/ideas about this and what are the symptoms of an attack??

I had my gallbladder removed at the end of August. My symptoms never included nausea/vomitting, I would just have a persistent, dull pain for about 15 hours. Very rarely - a handful of times a year, if that.

I think my medical staff was more aggressive. My regular doctor scheduled an ultrasound and told me it would take a few days to see the results. (We didn't know what the problem was per my atypical symptoms - this was the first test, if it hadn't shown anything I would have had to do a barium & then an gastro endoscope). She called me that same afternoon, said that I had gallstones, and was going to refer me to a surgeon right then.

My band surgeon does general lap procedures. At my last fill I had mentioned the pain to him and he was like, "That's your GB, it needs to come out." They gave me standing orders for an ultrasound and HIDA follow-up.

So the delay is new to me. On my end, as soon as it was suspected, they were crying "take it out!" It's one of those things that can go downhill fast. I assumed - symptoms are few & far between, I'll be ok... but that sentiment wasn't shared. :)

GALLBLADDER ATTACK SYMPTOMS

Please note that if you are in severe pain and particularly if your attack symptoms are accompanied by fever DO SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. The following symptoms are typical of a gallbladder attack.

• Moderate to severe pain under the right side of the rib cage
  • Pain may radiate through to the back or to the right shoulder
  • Severe upper abdominal pain (biliary colic)
  • Nausea
  • Queasiness
  • Vomiting
  • Gas
  • Burping or belching
  • Attacks are often at night
  • Attacks often occur after overeating
  • Pain will often but not always follow a meal with fats or grease
  • Pain may be worse with deep inhalation
  • Attacks can last from 15 minutes to 15 hours

My mother has a failing gallbladder. For her, attacks are severe - she has a hard time breathing through them. And last about 45 mins.

For me, mine hurt but I could function through them. They would wake me up at say midnight, and I would be up with it until late morning. Meds did nothing. I could get some relief by bending forward, for about a minute - then the pain would come back.

Thanks for the info - I'm rather set on having it out this year since we have already reached the max out of pocket from the lapband surgery in Feb. I just can't figure out why my Dr. wants to wait until I have a problem!! Some of my co-workers talk about how miserable it is when you have an attack - so why wait!!

I knew I had gallstones BEFORE I had lap band...decided if they were not bothering me, I would not bother them!!! Well things have changed and I am not going through one more night of throwing up bile!! Oct 24th @ 7:30 AM is the date and they say I will be home before dinner (if I can find someone to pick me up!!) Will post how everything went on Oct 30th when I am at work at the computer!! My lapband doc will be doing the surgery--I trust him!!

I have had gall bladder problems for years. The doctor that is doing the lap band is also going to remove my gall bladder but not at the same time. Funny enough, when I went to get my abdominal sonogram for pre op, the tech told me she could not see any stones.

I was diagnosed years ago with sand in my gall bladder and it wasn't bothering me often but when it did...watch out. I also have thrown up and am usually up all night in pain.

Now, since I was put on Optifast, my gall bladder has been acting up but not as severe as usual. I'm going for an appointment today and am hoping to at least get my gall bladder surgery date (I'll ask him about the sonogram and why do I have this pain if there are no stones present).

"My lapband doc will be doing the surgery--I trust him!!"

Sweet Violet,

They must have lots of experience because I've heard that so many people that are banded or getting banded get their gall bladder out by their lap band surgeon!

I was banded in Feb 07 and have lost 70+ lbs then I started waking up in the night throwing up. The dr. unfilled my band and Monday I had an endoscope of my stomach and ultrasound of my gallbladder and they saw gallstones.

My dr. doesn't want to remove the gallbladder because I'm not have symptoms right now but my opinion is that the stones will not go away so why wait to have it removed??

Does anyone have suggestions/ideas about this and what are the symptoms of an attack??

I was in the exact same situation, 70 pounds down and then BAM! didn't know what happened - went to the ER they did the ultrasound - yup gallbladder sux, needs to come out - so I don't understand the waiting because according to my band surgeon and the surgeon that took my gallbladder out it can get really bad really fast - you could have a stone slip into the liver and cause all kinds of problems - do some research online about it, find out how everything is connected - they do it laproscopically - it takes an hour - don't wait - get it out

Hey-haven't heard from you in a while. So sorry to hear about the gallbladder troubles. I had my first (and only) attack about a year ago and it was AWFUL. Chest and back pain, nausea, dizzy - I just rolled around on the floor while it was going on it hurt so bad. It lasted about 45 minutes then it totally quit. I went to the doc and they found gallstones and surgery was scheduled within the week. The surgeon who took it out said that if there are stones, it means you have a "bad gallbladder" and it needs to come out or the attacks will continue. So out it came. I am glad it is gone so now that I finally can have my band, I have one less thing to worry about.

Wow - 70 pounds since February - that is so awesome. Don't worry, this is only a little bump in the road

Robin

GET RID OF THEM!!! They will only get worse - especially if you are going to have any children - I had the same - Doctor would not remove - I fell pregnant - and at 7 months had a bad attack and because of the baby - the attack was the worse pain ever. 6 weeks after birth - I had them out - best thing as I never had to worry about it again!!

Good News!! The doctor caved and agreed to remove the gallbladder on Nov 2nd. The report from the sonographer said that there were excessive stones and some of them we 2-3 mm big. My lapband doctor is doing the surgery but started on his whole story of "if they aren't causing you any problems right now we should wait to see if you have another attack." My husband and I started debating with him about symptoms, and they already caused problems why wait to see if they cause problems again, etc and he finally agreed to it!! Thank God!!

Dear LJS69;

I just spent 2 days in the hospital over the weekend and was back in to my physicians office yesterday from terrible pain. I thought my band had slipped but barium swallow showed everything perfect. I'm now wondering if it was a gallbladder attack. My symptoms were terrible vomitting brown bile up until yesterday. Terrible chest pain and back pain behind sternum area anterior/posterior. Then I figured it was my esophagas terribly irritated. I've only had liquids since Saturday until today I had a regular dinner. Does anyone think I should call the doc back and tell him I think it was gallbladder? He thinks maybe I just had a touch of the flu and all the vommitting made the esophageal pain happen. Any thoughts welcome. Banded April 30th 2007; fill May 2007; subsequent unfills, now I have no Fluid in the band. Down 80 lbs.

Dear LJS69;

I just spent 2 days in the hospital over the weekend and was back in to my physicians office yesterday from terrible pain. I thought my band had slipped but barium swallow showed everything perfect. I'm now wondering if it was a gallbladder attack. My symptoms were terrible vomitting brown bile up until yesterday. Terrible chest pain and back pain behind sternum area anterior/posterior. Then I figured it was my esophagas terribly irritated. I've only had liquids since Saturday until today I had a regular dinner. Does anyone think I should call the doc back and tell him I think it was gallbladder? He thinks maybe I just had a touch of the flu and all the vommitting made the esophageal pain happen. Any thoughts welcome. Banded April 30th 2007; fill May 2007; subsequent unfills, now I have no Fluid in the band. Down 80 lbs.

banded same day as me - had my gallbladder out the week before labor day - are you having pain on your right side under your ribs? - that's where the gallbladder is - I also had pain in my back too - and vomitting - thought the same thing - something is stuck or it's stretched, slipped - who knows - did they do the ultrasound to check it out?

Keljodreamer - I would definitely have the gallbladder checked out since you are having almost the exact same symptoms that I had.

New Question:

Now I'm hearing how after the gallbladder is removed, people put on a lot of weight. Why would this be and has this happened to anyone?