Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tommorrow is first pre-surgery workup

I found this site on a google search because I am looking for something to calm my nerves some. I'll start out by introducing myself. I am a 40 year old, disabled, morbidly obese man. I am a high functioning autistic and I have lost weight before but gained it all back and then some. I was driving a bus until I became disabled due to my weight and adult onset diabetes. I can no longer qualify for a medical card and I feel at my worst. Generally, I do not handle the extreme sensory stimulation of doctors and hospitals but I have no choice in the matter. I am on a high dose of insulin with oral medications so my PCP feels that this has become pretty urgent. Tomorrow is my first pre-surgery appointment at Penn Presbyterian Hospital. I went to an information session at the beginning of last month, but sadly, I remember little of what to expect. I do not scare easily but I sure am in a tizzy right now.

Hi BlackCatMatt! Although I was quite nervous for my first consult with the surgeon, I found there was no reason at all to be anxious. Mine involved completing introductory paperwork and questionnaires, meeting the surgeon and having the opportunity to ask him questions (after he asked several of me), a short physical exam by the surgeon, and then the chance to meet with the dietitian and patient navigator. They both provided me with packets of information on the clearances I would need to have for the surgery and basic information about the pre-op and post-op diet phases. The surgeon told me I was a good candidate, strongly recommended one surgery for me over others (RNY), and recommended (but did not require) that I lose 20-30 pounds prior to surgery. All in all, it was a good and reassuring experience.

If you have some time tonight, write down your questions if you haven't already--I am glad that I brought a list with me. I also brought a friend--it was helpful to have a support person there, and she also asked a few questions. No big deal to go by yourself, but I was happy she could attend with me.

I wish you the best of luck! I also have diabetes and take a high dose of insulin, and healing or at least better controlling diabetes (in addition to improving my mobility) is a main motivation for the surgery. Many folks on here have had resolution of their diabetes, which is very encouraging.

Thank you for the response. I believe I will write down some questions for the surgeon and his staff.

Hi there! I'm a special Education teacher and have a daughter with High Functioning Autism. Do headphones work for you? (with or without music) If I was trying to avoid someone from being overstimulated, I would try that first.

Congratulations on moving forward with your surgery even though you are uncomfortable. It's really tough when you are at odds with your brain! I wish you the best of luck!

My first visit came and went. Sadly, it looks like the surgery may not happen until February. In the mean time, I have a myriad of things to do. The good news is that I have a recent stress test, sleep apnea study, and I have been super-duper compliant with the sleep apnea machine. After my appointment, I went ahead and got the EKG and all the blood work done. The next appointment is for the Upper GI and Abdominal Studies on Nov. 2nd. The bad news is my A1C is all kinds of outta whack and I have to get it down to 8% or below in order to undergo the surgery. This will be the hardest because for me to deal with because I don't cook - previous attempts at it resulted in nearly taking a finger off and under- or over-cooking. I also eat to deal with deep depression. The journey to get to surgery will not be easy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches