Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Foods - Returning to Work

Good Morning All,

I'm about a month away from my surgery! Now, I'm a planner so I like to have things ready to go and I understand this is going to be a take it one day at a time sorta thing because my body may or may not like certain things after surgery. But I have a fairly busy life; young kids, full time job, etc. Well I have the next couple weekends off and I'd like to make my life a little bit easier for when I return to work after surgery. I'll probably still be in a mushy food stage when I return to work and wanted to make some soups/other foods ahead of time and freeze them, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it. Just wanted to get some thoughts of those who have been through this stage.

Thanks!

I have little one too. We eat alot of chicken now. I didn't really freeze much. But I've got cheese sticks, yogurt, shaved black forest ham, Whisps, and vegetarian vegtable Soup on hand all of the time.

It depends on your plan post-op. Each plan is different. Mine was full liquids (yogurts, Soups, shakes) the two weeks, then purees, then soft foods, then full meals all at 2 week intervals. So by 8 weeks out I was eating "normal" food. I have two teen daughters and a husband and I am a planner too. Generally before shopping each week I plan the Protein for each night so I'm not scrambling with the what to cook or make with this issue when I get home. I just kept up my normal routine for them. During my first 2 weeks, I ate lots of greek yogurt and Soup. Sometimes the eggface ricotta bake. I fed my family the usual stuff we would eat. In purees, if I made them meatloaf, I'd just mash mine up more - same with chili. By the third phase - it was lots of chicken and fish.

For work, I don't have access to a fridge, so I pretty much pack the same thing on my office days. (I work from home a few days a week.) Chicken salad, romaine lettuce, yogurt and a cheese snack. Sometimes an apple (but I'm 1+ year out.) I didn't freeze stuff before surgery and I'm glad I didn't - my taste buds were off for a few weeks after surgery.

Hi, I went back to work about 12 or so days after... Mainly because I was so bored!

I wouldn't make too many Soups or you'll end up hating them, but definitely make some! I personally have found that chewing is what is the difference between getting down foods and it's less about what you can tolerate. This only applies to healthier foods tho. I don't think you'd get sick from any Soup and it's good to have your food sorted so you don't have to overthink it when you're trying to recover (:

Anyway, because I am incredibly lazy, here's some things you can eat when you don't feel like planning ahead! Yoghurt, cheese sticks, cheese wheels, custard, baby food (this isn't recommended by a lot of doctors but I personally didn't see the problem), baked Beans, jelly, deli meat, boiled eggs (chewed to mush) , scrabbled eggs, wheat bix, porridge, Protein Shakes etc etc

This was all stuff I slowly introduced from two weeks. I'd eat a tiny nibble and wait. Then a little more. If it all went down okay then I'd eat it. Main purpose of Fluid and mushy stage is so that your staples can heal and is less about what you can tolerate (within reason).

Sent from my LG-H850 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you all for your posts! I think i'll get some Soups ready but not too much, I'm worried about not liking the types of soups I like now after surgery.