Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horrified about managing my new life style

I was sleeved yesterday through an endoscope and I was so nervous I almost backed out right before they put me under.

I have polycystic ovary syndrome so it was so very hard to lose weight on my own and I am an emotional eater.

I decided to go for the surgery to turn my life around but I'm so worried that I won't be able to stick to the new lifestyle..

I'm a crazy food lover. Eating brings me comfort.

Any advice to survive the first month?

2 hours ago, faithq8 said:

Any advice to survive the first month?

My advice is to seek the professional help of a counselor or therapist...

Emotional eating and soothing oneself with food are behaviors that don't simply disappear after bariatric surgery.

Once the stomach relaxes enough to accommodate more food, people with a history of emotional history often end up posting, "Oh my gosh! I need help losing this 50 pounds I regained!"

Having bariatric surgery with the hope that your preexisting eating issues will magically disappear is unrealistic.

Those who have bariatric surgery must put in tough work in order to succeed. For some, it means tackling serious psychological aspects of why they overeat (e.g., emotional overeating, binge eating disorder, food addiction, stress).

I'd say 90+ percent of success after bariatric surgery is psychological. Basically, the head of a person who has undergone surgery must be in the right place to succeed.

Bariatric patients who don't utilize more adaptive mechanisms to cope with emotions often regain weight due to using food for purposes other than intended.

Hi Faith8,

I completely agree with Introversion's advice. Everything that you said mirrors my exact situation. I've been fighting Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome for 16 years and there's never been a time in my life where weight loss was easy. I'm sure you also did every fad diet under the sun only to find that you gained the weight back quickly (and more came with it) when you started back on old habits. If you're an over-eater the sleeve will definitely help due to the restriction you will feel once you start eating solid and semi-solid foods again...if you try to overeat you will be physically uncomfortable or may even vomit so it will keep you in "check".

The first couple of weeks are going to be incredibly scary and you may regret your decision....give it some time and be kind to yourself. The surgery you just had is going to change your life for the better even if you can't fathom it right now. I was sleeved on July 17th (13 weeks) and for the first 4 weeks I obsessively Googled, "Will I ever enjoy food again?" about 5 times a day! All of the answers were a resounding yes! For the first month focus on your 64oz Water goals and Protein goals. You're not going to feel like drinking anything so keep the sips small but consistent. My nutritionist recommended drinking bottled water poured into a cup of Sonic ice so I could track how much I was drinking via the empty bottles. The cold water sort of numbed things and I was able to increase my intake each day, though I wasn't consistently making my 64oz-a-day until probably week 4. I also paid dearly for it (constipation, headaches) so don't be like me! :) My NUT also said I could have watered down light apple juice and it went down incredibly easy but I found it was a trigger food for me so I had to cut it out of my diet.

Speaking of trigger foods and food addiction: please allow yourself to seek help if you think you need it. At 3 months out I can take in about 2x what I could at 1 month and I can feel that little evil voice creeping in and telling me to finish my plate even though I'm full and even if it'll make me a little uncomfortable. I'm planning on seeing a therapist soon because I don't want to sabotage my "honemoon" period and with PCOS my numbers have already slowed down but I'm still losing. Since you've recognized that you have an addiction you may want to start now so you can have the tools to fight the addition if the situation ever arises. I thought my sleeve would take care of my relationship with food and undoubtedly it's helped probably 75% - when the boss brings in warm, gooey donuts on a Friday I can pass right by them and not think twice...when my partner opens a new bag of Dorito's Cooler Ranch, my chip of choice, the smell actually makes me a little nauseated (score!)...but when I have a salmon filet on my plate and I've eaten 2/3 and it was just SO GOOD, I can convince myself to finish the rest. Little things like that will add up to big things when our belly can take in much more food than it can now so tackle it head-on and set yourself up for long-term success.

This surgery is a miracle for us with PCOS because we're so used to breaking our hump only to lose 2lbs in a month. I don't know your numbers but to put it into perspective I started 295 January 10th and lost the same stupid 5lbs until my strict pre-op starting June 24th. I weight 281 on surgery day and weighed 239 this morning. It seems to be a lot slower than other members but I'm happy and looking forward to how my body doesn't hurt as much as it used to, how I sleep so much better, and how my relationship with food was forced to change.

I hope any of this helped and just remember to take great care of yourself. You can always reach out to me if you need anything.

My advice is to seek the professional help of a counselor or therapist...
Emotional eating and soothing oneself with food are behaviors that don't simply disappear after bariatric surgery.
Once the stomach relaxes enough to accommodate more food, people with a history of emotional history often end up posting, "Oh my gosh! I need help losing this 50 pounds I regained!"
Having bariatric surgery with the hope that your preexisting eating issues will magically disappear is unrealistic.
Those who have bariatric surgery must put in tough work in order to succeed. For some, it means tackling serious psychological aspects of why they overeat (e.g., emotional overeating, binge eating disorder, food addiction, stress).
I'd say 90+ percent of success after bariatric surgery is psychological. Basically, the head of a person who has undergone surgery must be in the right place to succeed.
Bariatric patients who don't utilize more adaptive mechanisms to cope with emotions often regain weight due to using food for purposes other than intended.

Yup. I'm facing this right now and it's hard work. At least the OP knows herself well enough to recognize the struggles she will face (unlike myself). I have really limited access to psychological help where I live. Any good books to recommend for myself and the OP?

Had the same struggles, and I felt the same way. Once you get to the puree stage it gets much easier. Grits were a lifeline and now that I am on advanced puree, life is good. You can do it. It is only a couple weeks to a lifetime of a new better life.

5'10 Sleeved 9/25/17 HW: 309 SW: 278
CW: 255 GW: 190

38 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

Yup. I'm facing this right now and it's hard work. At least the OP knows herself well enough to recognize the struggles she will face (unlike myself). I have really limited access to psychological help where I live. Any good books to recommend for myself and the OP?

This book was recommended on a different forum I was a part of:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1508526087/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IX7M57UTLA72N&colid=CQZR2L8PNRSE

I plan to by myself a copy soon :)

I forgot to say I was a emotional eater but food does seam different now. It is still there and I enjoy it but do not crave as much

5'10 Sleeved 9/25/17 HW: 309 SW: 278
CW: 253 GW: 190

This book was recommended on a different forum I was a part of:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1508526087/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IX7M57UTLA72N&colid=CQZR2L8PNRSE
I plan to by myself a copy soon [emoji4]

Thank you! Going to check it out right now xo

Great posts everyone!

I have to constantly be present to the reality that my surgeon will be operating on my tummy/not my brain. It scares the crap out of me, because I have used food to self-medicate.

I still love this book and thing it has been very helpful on many levels. Feeling Good, The New Mood Therapy can help with things like depression, anxiety, addictions, personal relationships...etc.