Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional crying already?

I’ve heard that hormones are stored in fat and as you lose weight you might experience strong emotions. I had surgery on 10/13/17 and the crying started yesterday and continues today. It is not regret ( although I’ve had a few moments of that). But if I see a sad story or think of how much I love my niece and nephew, the tears start rolling! I’m wondering if others have experienced this and how it played out in the months following surgery. Thanks!

Hopefully that feeling will pass after a few weeks. It took me a while to get to a comfortable place emotional wise. I keep going back and fourth with myself feeling terrible and pissed that I couldn't eat and then lay down for a nap like the old days, try that now and I'll regurgitate. Also I'd go weeks without losing any weight even though I was hardly taking anything in. Anyhow, all I can say is eventually it got better and I'm now in a pretty good place. Every once in awhile I'll still get the blues but I'll be a year out from my sleeve in 5 days. My starting weight was 314 and I'm now 193. Still not at my goal weight but I'll get there. Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-G900P using BariatricPal mobile app

I think being emotional after any big trauma event for your body is normal. But there are days when grocery shopping that I get sad for a minute for no reason.

5'10 Sleeved 9/25/17 HW: 309 SW: 278
CW: 253 GW: 190

I had my surgery on Monday, October 16 and I had a really weepy, feeling sorry for myself day yesterday. Not regret, I don't regret this at all. My anxiety has been running high as well. From what I've read, I've got more of this too look forward to?

I will say there is some emotional stuff going on. How could there not be. The surgery is a big deal. Part of our body was removed. @ctdan stated trauma to the body. That is spot on. Its scary and heavyhearted, and it is okay to cry about all you have been through. Also stated above by @Walter.Sobchakto self-sooth. We know eating to comfort ourselves is not a good coping skill. Until new healthy habits or coping with life's ups and downs are created we are at a loss as to how to cope, and the tears or anger arises. I like the positive attitude of @Nicole42 Look to the future you want to create. Saying good-bye to food is a process. Each time you face a different problem, its the first time not having food to run to. Don't avoid the discomfort of feeling it usually is a signal that we are unhappy with something in our lives and we need to make a change. Take on the bull, horns and all. We have the power to change the way we navigate decision making. So cry for the long journey, but then get out of your own head and do something that makes you or even better makes someone else happy. You'll see results and your life will rise and shine. The best is yet to come.

I suffer from major depressive disorder and I swear it has been worse since I got sleeved. I no longer have the escape of food, the comfort of food.

Thank you. I was wondering if my symptoms would get worse after. I had some regret the day after and was upset because I was so nauseas I couldnt go to full liquid until Saturday (my surgery was tuesday) food was always my escape and comfort. It is very hard. I want to eat, but I am not hungry. My mind needs to shut up. Old habits die hard. Good luck to you!

SW:350
BSW:260 (10/17/17)
CW:256
GW:175

I keep reading about this, and I feel for those of you going through this. I have never been an emotional person, and had no emotional swings, or sad feelings since this surgery. I have been paying attention, looking for it. I am at 4 weeks, maybe it will come later?