Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who used Dr.Steinberg...

if you had to have a psych evaluation, did he refer you to a specific doctor? What was the evaluation like? What did it consist of? I am attending my seminar with him 10/18 and I am just trying to get in mind everything to expect.

Thanks!

Kathy

After the seminar you are to call and set up your first appointment with Dr. Steinberg or Dr. Menacherry, whichever you prefer. I personally had a hard time making up my mind between the two. Both will talk at the seminar. At that first appointment he gives you a list of things to do before a second appointment - dietition, psychiatrist, pulmonologist, primary care physician. He will give you a list of doctors you have to get approval from but you can go to anyone you like. I also had to see a cardiologist at the recommendation of my PCP. He also wants all of the insurance paperwork prepared. After insurance approval, I went in for my second appointment with him to sign my consent form and had to have an upper GI done and if needed, a gall bladder scan. I had my gall bladder removed so I didn't have to have the scan

I saw Dr. Ritz in Tucker- the psychiatrist on his list who also leads the bariatric support group

I went to the South Eastern Lung Care in Decatur - pulmonologist on his list

I went to Holly Dobson - the dietician on his list at DeKalb Medical

My first appointment with Dr. Steinberg was Sept. 5, insurance approval on Sept. 12, second appointment on October 5 and surgery date on October 10.

Hope this helps - ask away

From your PCP you will need a letter of recommendation and clearance for surger - you will need a TSH (thryroid test).

Forgot to say - Good Luck on you new adventure. It's a roller coaster of a ride, just hang on to your hat. It will be worth the effort at the end.

Thanks for the info. Wow, there is a lot to do! I don't have to have a referral from my PCP because I have PPO insurance. I will be calling my insurance company tomorrow to verify coverage, then Monday calling the office to set that first appointment. Dr. Steinberg was in surgery for most of our seminar, so I really didn't get a feel for him as I would like to in order to make my choice between the two, so looks like I will be going with Dr. Menachery.

Sorry you didn't get to hear Dr. Steinberg much but as I told you it was a toss-up on which one I would use. They assist each other during the surgery. I know Dr. Menacherry will be assisting in my surgery. There is a lot to do and it gets very frustrating at times but don't give up. It does all work out in the end. I didn't need a referral either since I have the PPO but I did need a letter of clearance from my PCP. And as I said she had me go to a cardiologist for a stress test before approving me for surgery. She said my EKG and echocardiogram were normal but my heart hadn't been tested under heavy physical activity in years due to my bad knees and she wanted to make sure that there was no blockage that would cause a problem in surgery. It was a chemical stress test and I passed with flying colors.

Feel free to ask any questions that I may be able to answer.

Shirley

I have Anthem BCBS and from what I have read on here, they seem to be pretty lenient with their requirements compared to some others. I don't have any comorbidities, so I am hoping to get by without having to have a lot of extra testing done. Just with what I already know is required I am anticipating having to wait until I find a job so I can pay for the tests, but I am attributing not being able to find a job in part to my size, so I am in a real catch 22 here. But I keep looking and going to interviews, so maybe something will come along soon. Thanks for responding!

Kathy

The only thing I have had to pay for so far was the dietition ($85). BC/BS picked up everything else for me.

Hi sghatl - am I reading your ticker, right? Have you lost 100 lbs in 4 months!?! I need to get with my program and get my pre-surgery steps in process!!!

Thanks

PS - I too am torn about Steinberg vs. Menachery!

No, I have not lost over a 100 pounds since surgery. That was my loss since I began my weight loss journey. My BMI was too high for surgery so I lost 68 pounds before I was banded. Read my signature carefully and you will see what I have lost since surgery.

I am using Dr. Steinberg as well.

All information to office 08/22

Surgery date TBD