Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea after surgery?

23 hours ago, JT2002TJ said:

Just an FYI, not everyone has nausea after the surgery. You might get lucky like me. I have had 0 nausea so far (2 weeks and 3 days post-op).

I do have a hard time getting my fluids in, and more than a couple oz of blended chicken/tuna salad.

Oh that's great to hear. :)

If you are susceptible to nausea they can give you a scopolamine patch that you wear behind your ear... you put it on before surgery and keep it on for 48 hours. Works very well! Also zofran/onadansetron works well. And finally enmend is a very pricey but AMAZING antinausea prescription. Talk to your doctor about options. I almost always get nausea with any surgery or narcotics but each of those have worked well for me at different times.

Yep! This! I had a patch and also anti-nausea meds in the IV. By the time I left the hospital it was over. Just tell them! Good luck!

HI jcb123! I just had sleeve surgery *this* morning at 8:30 (done around 9:30), and nausea was my biggest fear. But I didn't actually have ANY nausea after the surgery, and I still don't! I feel pretty normal, in fact--just tired and achy like I did too many sit-ups. I haven't needed pain medicine here at home yet. :)

My surgeon gives everyone a prescription for a drug called Emend (generic aprepitant) that helps prevent nausea, and you take it right before you go in for surgery. During pre-op prep, the nurses also gave me a Zofran. I took another when I got home just to be on the safe side. I sometimes get carsick, and I had bad nausea after a different surgery last year, so I was worried that I would be quite ill. But so far so good!

Good luck on your surgery!

5 hours ago, jcb123 said:

MarinaGirl,

Yes, I have had general anesthesia many many times and I never have gotten nauseous however from the sounds of it I wasn't sure if this particular surgery was the cause of the nausea or if it was just how some people react to anesthesia?

I never get nauseous from general anesthesia and didn’t after gastric bypass either. Hope the same for you!

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:56 AM, Kellie Black said:

I'm 3-weeks post surgery and I'm still nausea. I have the patch, zofran and now they gave me Ondansetron. I can barely drink an 8oz shake in 1oz intervals every 15 mins, without vomiting. I'm getting frustrated and regretting the decision I've made.

Any suggestions here would be appreciated. Will I ever be normal to sit down and eat with my family? Will this pouch ever stretch? Please help.

Are you taking pain meds still? It could be the narcotics.

I get mild nausea from the Anesthesia. I never used to but the last 2 surgeries I have had I had minor Nausea. I was nauseous for about 12 hours with this surgery, they gave me Zofran to combat it. I've had no issues with nausea since then. I'm 9 months post op and the only time I threw up was during a stomach bug at 7 months post op.