Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery didn’t work?

Hey guys! So I had gastric bypass on Aug. 14.2017. I was 249 starting, on surgery date I was 239 and today I am 208.8lbs.

I see everyone in here who’s weight is literally falling off! They do nothing and the weight still comes off. While all the weight I’ve lost so far, I put work in! I go to the gym everyday and do cardio for an hour! And I still don’t lose as much as other people. And now, my weight hasn’t changed since last week, school and depression got in the way and I didn’t work out for 5 days. But I can’t even say I lost a pound despite how little I eat. So this is what I ate yesterday: Breakfast was a Premier Protein, dinner was 44g of an avocado and 1 large egg. Then I had a snack of cashews which was portioned out to approx. 15g. Here comes the bad part, I ate a Pringle and I ate 3/4 potato chips from Trader Joe’s, so they probably aren’t as bad as lays. But it’s still bad I know. That was the first time I’ve had a snack of chips, today I’m throwing them all, no temptations. I don’t think it was horrible though, probably 5 chips in total :( . Even if I do a liquid diet, I still lose nothing. I’ll do one this week and let you guys know. So disappointed and unmotivated! I paid so much for this surgery because my insurance wouldn’t cover it. And here I am, with the world’s shittest results. Also note that I feel like I’ve been on a stall 99.9% of the time! Two weekends ago was the first time that the weight fell off and I lost 4 lbs by two days. But that’s the only time that has happened. EVER.

I'd work closely with your bariatric team. there maybe something that's holding things up for you, or it may just be a momentary glitch. I've heard of others having their weight loss stall. don't give up!

I have heard from others that they increased their Protein intake a bit and that helped move the scale again. Are you getting in all your protein? Are you logging everything?

Based on what I see, it looks like you could add a bit more lean protein. But, please check with your NUT and surgeon team. If you haven't been tracking, make sure to write everything down (and be honest) and have them look it over. That can help determine what to do differently. Other than stay away from the chips of course!! We've all been there and we all know we shouldn't. It's just way to early to be doing that. Go to the website theworldaccordingtoeggface.com for some recipes. Do a search for the Ricotta Bake. I heard that people LOVE this one. Good flavors which will keep you from getting bored, it's soft food (couldn't tell which stage you were on), and is protein.

Best of luck!

I am having this issue as well, but going from band to sleeve. I'm 18 months out and haven't lost anything. I feel hungry all the time and am wondering if that is how you are feeling too...? My Dr says I'm a good candidate for a revision, but there are a few options and I'm not sure which would be best- band over sleeve, bypass, or further reduction of the sleeve I have now. I just remember feeling full with my band and haven't had that feeling with my sleeve at all😔

Hey guys! So I had gastric bypass on Aug. 14.2017. I was 249 starting, on surgery date I was 239 and today I am 208.8lbs.
I see everyone in here who’s weight is literally falling off! They do nothing and the weight still comes off. While all the weight I’ve lost so far, I put work in! I go to the gym everyday and do cardio for an hour! And I still don’t lose as much as other people. And now, my weight hasn’t changed since last week, school and depression got in the way and I didn’t work out for 5 days. But I can’t even say I lost a pound despite how little I eat. So this is what I ate yesterday: Breakfast was a Premier Protein, dinner was 44g of an avocado and 1 large egg. Then I had a snack of cashews which was portioned out to approx. 15g. Here comes the bad part, I ate a Pringle and I ate 3/4 potato chips from Trader Joe’s, so they probably aren’t as bad as lays. But it’s still bad I know. That was the first time I’ve had a snack of chips, today I’m throwing them all, no temptations. I don’t think it was horrible though, probably 5 chips in total [emoji20] . Even if I do a liquid diet, I still lose nothing. I’ll do one this week and let you guys know. So disappointed and unmotivated! I paid so much for this surgery because my insurance wouldn’t cover it. And here I am, with the world’s shittest results. Also note that I feel like I’ve been on a stall 99.9% of the time! Two weekends ago was the first time that the weight fell off and I lost 4 lbs by two days. But that’s the only time that has happened. EVER.

U sound like me![emoji24] I had bypass on 9/13 and I've only lost 13lbs. What's supposed to be inspiring seeing all these posts about people dropping vast amounts of weight in a short timeframe is actually discouraging to those of us who aren't in that lucky bunch. I've been told, tho, that those lucky 'losers' may have a lot more weight to lose than us, or are starting at a higher weight than us, or perhaps they are exaggerating a bit. Who knows? Mainly, everyone's been telling me that comparing to others is unproductive, everyone's journey is different. I know....I just can't help seeing all those types of threads on here and feel defeated!!

I sent my whole food log to my NUT just yesterday, in fact, to see what she could tell me since I'm so frustrated with my slow weight loss. Turns out, there ARE a few things I need to address. So I agree with previous poster that u should also do this. What we think we're doing 100% right and accordding to plan may not be as close as we thought. For example, I was eating between 700-900 cals a day and getting a MINIMUM of 70g of Protein a day, often 90-120g. Turns out, my docs plan wants me at NO MORE THAN 600 cals a day, 80g max protein a day. And here i thought i was following the plan by the book! [emoji52]

I sympathize with u a million times over and wish u luck as the days, weeks, months continue on. I hope ur weight starts to pour off and u get to post the exciting news!! Take care!

Lacecute,

I’m sorry that your dealing with this, but I hate to say that this is a rude awakening for you any will be for many others. This surgery is a tool to help assist with your weight loss. You still have to put the work in as you stated your doing.
You will find in your journey weight gains and MANY stalls. The stalls could last 1 or 2 weeks, later in my journey my stalls lasted longer.
Your not even two months out so your doing awesome with your weight loss. One thing you don’t want to do is compare your journey to someone else. Everyone is different! This will not happen overnight, please keep that in mind. As the person said prior to increase your food intake, Men’s bodies are different as well and will need more calories than a woman. When you come across a stall increase your Protein and Water intake.
Stay focused on the end result, and to reach the end result don’t add in your triggers or those things that are not good for you I.e. chips. There are healthy options if you desire those guilty pleasures. I would definitely wait until later in your journey to indulge, bad habits now lead to more bad habits.
Don’t be so hard on yourself the surgery is working and your doing awesome with your weight loss thus far!

I am having this issue as well, but going from band to sleeve. I'm 18 months out and haven't lost anything. I feel hungry all the time and am wondering if that is how you are feeling too...? My Dr says I'm a good candidate for a revision, but there are a few options and I'm not sure which would be best- band over sleeve, bypass, or further reduction of the sleeve I have now. I just remember feeling full with my band and haven't had that feeling with my sleeve at all[emoji17]

Wait...you've lost NOTHING since going from band to sleeve? Nothing at all after 18 months?? That's devastating esp after we do these things to our bodies. I def would consider going to bypass, but hell, I'm frustrated with my own slow loss rate so maybe I'm not the best one to recommend that to u. [emoji4] Sounds like u need some type of revision tho.

I was told by my surgeon that going from band to bypass, as I did, my weight loss was going to be slower than people who haven't gone from band to another procedure, so I'm trying to be tolerant with my slow weight loss. But I'm only 1 month out. You're 18 months out and should be seeing results by now. So yes, I would FULLY consider another type of revision. To what, tho, I don't know. What are u leaning towards?

12 minutes ago, Amburmist said:

Wait...you've lost NOTHING since going from band to sleeve? Nothing at all after 18 months?? That's devastating esp after we do these things to our bodies. I def would consider going to bypass, but hell, I'm frustrated with my own slow loss rate so maybe I'm not the best one to recommend that to u. emoji4.png Sounds like u need some type of revision tho.

I was told by my surgeon that going from band to bypass, as I did, my weight loss was going to be slower than people who haven't gone from band to another procedure, so I'm trying to be tolerant with my slow weight loss. But I'm only 1 month out. You're 18 months out and should be seeing results by now. So yes, I would FULLY consider another type of revision. To what, tho, I don't know. What are u leaning towards?

It's beyond frustrating- depressing. The nausea from hunger pangs has landed me with a monthly prescription of Zofran and 3 different GERD meds. I'm talking to my original surgeon who has recommended bypass, but I also remember the feeling I had with the band and knowing when I was full and the restriction I felt, of which I have none now. I do know that the surgeon who did my sleeve used the largest bougie-42, which has a lot to do with it. I wish I'd have kept my slipped band at this point!!

The band was great fo me. I loved that it made me fee full and that is why I'm leaning toward a band on top of my sleeve. However, I cannot find anyone who has had this done which is concerning. I'm hesitant about a bypass as I could be exactly where I now and then have no options!

Edited by Nowheregirl

I feel the exact same. It's been 2 months as of this week and I've only lost 32.4lbs due to the surgery. I was under the impression I'd lose a lot more and I am barely eating. I did have a setback these past 2 weeks - we discovered I have a stricture, so my esophagus is closing up and food is not leaving my stomach properly. I got it stretched out, but it needs to be stretched a 2nd time. I have started working out as of last week, 3x a week for a half hour at a time. I'll increase after that to an hour. I'm just not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Someone mentioned you aren't eating enough, that might be the case for me too, but I psychically get sick if I eat more than 1/4 or a 1/2 cup. Not sure what to do but thus far am really not satisfied with my progress.

Lacecute, stalls happen, and it sucks big time. I will say, though that you aren't eating nearly enough to jumpstart your weightloss. Your body is probably holding on to each morsel you eat, because you are in starvation mode. I had my surgery a week before you, and I eat a lot more than that. You should be eating 800 calories per day at the very least. What you listed totals about 400 calories.
Start following your program. Everything is ok with the exception of the chips of course. Eat something every 2-3 hours. Focus on Protein (more), healthy fats (you've got them), and get some Fiber in. You are going to be malnourished and constipated like crazy if you keep eating like that. You need to actually eat something at this point. Some lean protein and vegetables for Breakfast, lunch and dinner. A Premier Protein shake for 1 of your Snacks if you are still lacking in protein. Have the cashews or some fruit (berries) for another snack. If you are still under, add a small salad to finish off your day.
This is what I ate yesterday.....
Breakfast: 2 egg whites, 1/4 cup of spinach, 1veggie sausage (116 cals, 3g fat, 2g Net Carbs, 16g Protein)
AM Snack: 1 Premier Protein Shake (160 cals, 3g fat, 3g Net Carbs, 30g Protein)
Lunch: kale salad with cubed turkey (195 cals, 15g fat, 1g Net Carbs, 12g Protein)
Early PM Snack: 1 oz. raw almonds (160 cals, 14g fat, 3g Net Carbs, 6g Protein)
Dinner: 3 oz. grilled salmon with 1/4 cup chopped broccoli (185 cals, 11g fat, 1g Net Carbs, 19g Protein)
PM Snack: 2 celery sticks with 2 triangles of laughing cow cheese (85 cals, 3g fat, 1g Net Carbs, 4g Protein)
Macros: 901 calories, 49g fat, 11g Net Carbs, 87g Protein
Oh, and stop stressing also. That causes your body to hold on to fat. Cortisol is increased with stress.

I love the structure/menu for your day. I started 'meal prepping' for my work day a few months ago, and found it 1 less stressor in my day.

Sent from my SM-G925V using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/10/2017 at 9:18 AM, Lacecute said:

I see everyone in here who’s weight is literally falling off! They do nothing and the weight still comes off. While all the weight I’ve lost so far, I put work in! I go to the gym everyday and do cardio for an hour! And I still don’t lose as much as other people. And now, my weight hasn’t changed since last week, school and depression got in the way and I didn’t work out for 5 days. But I can’t even say I lost a pound despite how little I eat. So this is what I ate yesterday: Breakfast was a Premier Protein, dinner was 44g of an avocado and 1 large egg. Then I had a snack of cashews which was portioned out to approx. 15g. Here comes the bad part, I ate a Pringle and I ate 3/4 potato chips from Trader Joe’s, so they probably aren’t as bad as lays. But it’s still bad I know. That was the first time I’ve had a snack of chips, today I’m throwing them all, no temptations. I don’t think it was horrible though, probably 5 chips in total :( . Even if I do a liquid diet, I still lose nothing. I’ll do one this week and let you guys know. So disappointed and unmotivated! I paid so much for this surgery because my insurance wouldn’t cover it. And here I am, with the world’s shittest results. Also note that I feel like I’ve been on a stall 99.9% of the time! Two weekends ago was the first time that the weight fell off and I lost 4 lbs by two days. But that’s the only time that has happened. EVER.

you started at a relatively low weight and you’ve lost 30lbs in less than two months.

WHAT ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT!?! that is a very good rate of weight loss!

when will you 250lb women learn to stop comparing your loss rate to 500lb men?!? this isn’t that hard of a concept. proportionally you’re losing just as fast!

8 hours ago, onthaedge said:

I feel the exact same. It's been 2 months as of this week and I've only lost 32.4lbs due to the surgery. I was under the impression I'd lose a lot more.

then congrats on fooling yourself.

your 16lbs/month is also an excellent pace. try being grateful and stop expecting instant gratification.

JohnnyCakes - Stop telling women how they should feel. I'm not grateful for this at all - I'm in pain when I eat constantly and my throat is closing up. I dry heave randomly throughout the day. I would trade in that weight loss at this point. My doctor literally told me I could be losing more but am not because of my complication, so kindly shut up.

Your depression Meds can f u up big time .see which one u really don't need and wean off in a week or so. It's still a struggle but try some sugar free ice pops and no sugar added they are free foods and if u get unsure just eat something like that u could be eating too much for the opening