Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok...so not together...but 2 different questions

1. gum, sugarless bubblegum...is this ok to have...maybe not right away,but later on?

2. beans....how do you prepare, what spices, any tips etc. I have a basic crock pot recipe. I am talking the bag of dry Beans.

Any opinions and insights and suggestions are welcome

Thx!!

1 hour ago, ProfessorSlim said:

gum, sugarless bubblegum...is this ok to have

It's okay for me ... so says my dietitian.

You should ask your dietitian or weight loss surgery clinic/practice.

Gum is frowned upon, I think because of the risk of swallowing it. You'd hate to gum up the works. ;)

As for Beans, here's a good page to read:

https://eatingrules.com/how-to-cook-dried-beans/

For super fast cooking, check out the instant pot:

https://instantpot.com/cooking-time/

15 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

Gum is frowned upon, I think because of the risk of swallowing it. You'd hate to gum up the works. ;)

Gum will not plug anything up for more than a few minutes. The hydrochloric acid in your stomach will make short work of it. The reason that gum is frowned upon is that the act of chewing signals the brain to release digestive juices. That is why you start salivating when you start chewing gum. This also happens in the stomach and it leads to heartburn many times. Increased acid production is because your stomach is preparing to break down food that is not coming. That can lead to an increased sesnation of hunger as well.

Thanks for clarifying! I guess I heard the wrong thing at some point. I never was a gum chewer, so guess I didn't really care enough to look more into it.

49 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

Thanks for clarifying! I guess I heard the wrong thing at some point. I never was a gum chewer, so guess I didn't really care enough to look more into it.

I used to chew gum a lot while on long motorcycle tours. I tried it again once I was back to riding post op and the heartburn was horrific. I didn't think anything of it until the next time I had some gum and it happened again. I asked my surgeon about it and he even looked at me strangely and reminded me that it was in my information packet why I wasn't supposed to chew gum. Lo and behold, it was there.

I could probably chew it now, but it is no longer a habit so it rarely occurs to me.

15 hours ago, ProfessorSlim said:

2. beans....how do you prepare, what spices, any tips etc. I have a basic crock pot recipe. I am talking the bag of dry Beans.

Just realized there was a second question. In regards to dried Beans, I eat them all the time. They were really only a concern in the beginning in regards to gas. Now I just soak them over night and prepare them as directed by whatever recipe I am using. This is my standby as I emailed it to my wife long ago:

I tried just pasting the recipe, but the format kept getting screwed up. Here is the link from when I posted it long ago.

Edited by BigViffer

I have always been a gum chewer, I chew SF gum almost every day. When someone asked me what if you swallow it. I said I have not swallowed my gum ever. LOL Right after that I accidentally swallowed it. Guess what It WAS OK!!! Beans I love me some BEANS!!! I eat them all the time!! Good Protein.

I Chew gum. 4 months post. No advice if anyone else should. But I have no issues.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

Since Mr. F. is not a beany kinda fella, I no longer cook them for myself. For now, I can have a spoon or two at a time, but any more than that and my blood sugar spikes. So I'm waiting for surgery so I can enjoy them again.

Here's my favorite black bean recipe! ;)

1. Buy a can of black beans--any brand without added sugar.

2. Open can.

3. Pour contents into small saucepan.

4. Add 1 bayleaf, granulated garlic, dehydrated onion, cumin, ground coriander (optional), black pepper, Kosher salt to taste.

5. Add a couple of spoons of salsa. I like the HEB Hatch Salsa-Hot (red or green)

6. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.

7. Add 1tbsp butter and let it melt. (It reduces the amount of "canned" taste.)

8. (Optional: Eat vegetarian or add 2oz of any kind of leftover meat. Pork of any kind, including sausage crumbles, rocks. Bacon--the bomb.)

9. Stir. Serve.

It's a lot of steps. And I realize it sounds complicated, but you should totally give it a try! :D

Edited by FluffyChix

On 11/28/2017 at 4:20 PM, FluffyChix said:

Since Mr. F. is not a beany kinda fella, I no longer cook them for myself. For now, I can have a spoon or two at a time, but any more than that and my blood sugar spikes. So I'm waiting for surgery so I can enjoy them again.

Here's my favorite black bean recipe! ;)

1. Buy a can of black beans--any brand without added sugar.

2. Open can.

3. Pour contents into small saucepan.

4. Add 1 bayleaf, granulated garlic, dehydrated onion, cumin, ground coriander (optional), black pepper, Kosher salt to taste.

5. Add a couple of spoons of salsa. I like the HEB Hatch Salsa-Hot (red or green)

6. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.

7. Add 1tbsp butter and let it melt. (It reduces the amount of "canned" taste.)

8. (Optional: Eat vegetarian or add 2oz of any kind of leftover meat. Pork of any kind, including sausage crumbles, rocks. Bacon--the bomb.)

9. Stir. Serve.

It's a lot of steps. And I realize it sounds complicated, but you should totally give it a try! :D

This sounds good and pretty easy...I am going to try this!