Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Items to have on hand post-op

I have been following this website for months, and have been reading so many inspirational stories & helpful information. New to posting, though. Surgery date is 11/07, and time to get my first aid kit ready. I have all my Vitamins recommended by my practice. Now i need to know what else i should have on hand that my doctors office didnt mention, for example- Biotin, gas x, etc. Thank you all for sharing .

Sent from my SM-G925V using BariatricPal mobile app

Gas-X, definitely! liquid Tylenol for pain (no NSAIDS). Plenty of Protein Shakes, of course, but I have come to prefer Protein Water (there are several different brands)--it doesn't taste as unnaturally sweet as the shakes and it also counts as water. A scale to weigh food--I didn't think I'd need this and I use it almost every day. Weigh your dish, than add two to four ounces of food.

Sign up for MyFitnessPal or some other app to help you keep track. It measures many different things, but you'll be focused on protein and water. You'll want the same Clear Liquids you had for the day or two pre-surgery: water, Crystal Light, broth, sugar-free popsicles, herbal tea. You probably have lists for these things.

Some people have mentioned liking a waist wrap of some kind for support. I didn't have one and didn't need one, but your mileage may vary.

Some kind of fairly gentle laxative may be needed--or not.

Good luck!

I’m probably going overboard but I’d rather have something at home than not especially since I’ll be alone for a day and a half....I also got things that will transition me from phase 1 into phase 2.

Liquid Tylenol, sublingual B12, Multivitamins, papaya tablets, milk of Magnesia or GasX, ginger tea, G2 Gatorade, pill crusher, SF Jello & pudding & popsicles, chicken broth, canned Beans, tuna and chicken for puréed Protein, powdered Peanut Butter, cream of wheat, powdered milk, applesauce, almond milk, all ingredients for the famous ricotta bake. I’ve got a couple books off Amazon and have stocked dry items or made a list for perishables for the recipes I’d like to try. They sound appetizing NOW but from what I’m reading the tastebuds may change...

Thank you all so much. My goal is to be 100% prepared for any surprises. Less to worry about the first few weeks home.

On 01/10/2017 at 6:47 AM, allie2 said:

Now i need to know what else i should have on hand that my doctors office didnt mention

For post-op at the hospital, has anyone mentioned lip balm? Wet wipes? A sleeping mask?

On 9/30/2017 at 6:10 PM, MissT_SR said:

I’m probably going overboard but I’d rather have something at home than not especially since I’ll be alone for a day and a half....I also got things that will transition me from phase 1 into phase 2.

Liquid Tylenol, sublingual B12, Multivitamins, papaya tablets, milk of Magnesia or GasX, ginger tea, G2 Gatorade, pill crusher, SF Jello & pudding & popsicles, chicken broth, canned Beans, tuna and chicken for puréed Protein, powdered Peanut Butter, cream of wheat, powdered milk, applesauce, almond milk, all ingredients for the famous ricotta bake. I’ve got a couple books off Amazon and have stocked dry items or made a list for perishables for the recipes I’d like to try. They sound appetizing NOW but from what I’m reading the tastebuds may change...

what do you use the papaya tablets for?

A couple other thoughts -

1. There is a fairly new Protein Water available if you are okay with whey protein. It's called Protein2O and it has a good taste to it with 15 grams of protein per serving and no sugar. I like the grape and wild cherry flavors. If you contact the company they will send you a handful of coupons for .50 off each bottle so it makes it more affordable to try.

2. Bone Broth is something to look into. It has tons of protein with a bit stronger taste than regular broth. It can be quite expensive to purchase but may be worth checking into - pick up a container just to try. I make my own and there are lots of recipes...google bone broth or I'd be happy to tell you how I make mine if interested. I did order some 8oz sized ones from Amazon to have available at first when I'll be away from home.

3. I read someone suggested a mug plate - one of those things you can plug in to keep your coffee warm. She used it with her small dinner plates and bowls to keep food warm since we are to eat over a 30 minute period. I thought that was clever.

4. A Yeti-type double insulated mug - again because we are drinking a lot and things warm things go cold in a regular mug.

For hospital stay someone mentioned a pair of pajama bottoms so your back end isn't hanging out while walking the halls at the hospital lol - thought that was a good idea.....

3 hours ago, kidchick said:

what do you use the papaya tablets for?

There is an enzyme in papaya that helps break up Proteins. I was instructed to chew on a couple if I happen to eat too much Protein and suspect a slight blockage. I have read here that they work pretty quickly. I hope never to have to use them but at least I'll have them on hand!!

A couple other thoughts -
1. There is a fairly new Protein Water available if you are okay with whey protein. It's called Protein2O and it has a good taste to it with 15 grams of protein per serving and no sugar. I like the grape and wild cherry flavors. If you contact the company they will send you a handful of coupons for .50 off each bottle so it makes it more affordable to try.
2. Bone Broth is something to look into. It has tons of protein with a bit stronger taste than regular broth. It can be quite expensive to purchase but may be worth checking into - pick up a container just to try. I make my own and there are lots of recipes...google bone broth or I'd be happy to tell you how I make mine if interested. I did order some 8oz sized ones from Amazon to have available at first when I'll be away from home.
3. I read someone suggested a mug plate - one of those things you can plug in to keep your coffee warm. She used it with her small dinner plates and bowls to keep food warm since we are to eat over a 30 minute period. I thought that was clever.
4. A Yeti-type double insulated mug - again because we are drinking a lot and things warm things go cold in a regular mug.
For hospital stay someone mentioned a pair of pajama bottoms so your back end isn't hanging out while walking the halls at the hospital lol - thought that was a good idea.....

Like all these ideas. Thank you.

I have been following this website for months, and have been reading so many inspirational stories & helpful information. New to posting, though. Surgery date is 11/07, and time to get my first aid kit ready. I have all my Vitamins recommended by my practice. Now i need to know what else i should have on hand that my doctors office didnt mention, for example- Biotin, gas x, etc. Thank you all for sharing .

For your surgery day itself you don't need anything except chapstick (seriously you'll understand why later) and possibly an ipad.

While you're recovering i would stongly suggest sugar free popsicles because it will be hard to get your fluids in for the first few days.

And ready to drink shakes might be a little bit easier immediately following your surgery as well because they aren't as thick.

Gas-x doesn't work so please don't waste your money. The only thing that will get rid of your gas pain is to walk every hour or even ever 30 minutes in order to get the gas pain to move downward.

You'll be fine. Wishing you the best of luck on your journey. I already know you will be successful.

On 9/30/2017 at 11:48 PM, Laggy said:

Miso Soup is good, I just strained out the seaweed but it is really good for when you first get out of hospital and it is a different taste from the normal.

Ooooh that sounds good I need to get some of that.

Edited by CrissCriss

On 01/10/2017 at 6:47 AM, allie2 said:

Now i need to know what else i should have on hand that my doctors office didnt mention

For post-op at the hospital, has anyone mentioned lip balm? Wet wipes? A sleeping mask?

Good morning from Newcastle, NSW, Australia. It is about to tick over 8:15am on Sunday 15th Oct.

Given that I am three days post-op, I can say that the hospital food service provided me with reasonable food variety given the choices.

* Lite milk (2% fat)

* sugar-free mix up cordial (alternating Lemon with GI Lime)

* warm (not hot) cream of mushroom Soup

* warm Decaf coffee

* unsweetened apple juice

- - - - -

As I had a private room, I did not need the sleeping mask ... but I could see that it would have been an advantage had I been placed in a shared ward with one to three others.

I had the chapstick and it was vital ... the dry air-conditioning and the lack of range in the nutrients meant my lips were dry or dryish often. I avoided cracking.

- - - - -

I have been home 16 hours now and have had

* three Protein Shakes, two on Water, one on 225 mL of unsweetened almond milk (8pm, 11pm and 5am)

* my Sunday meds and Vitamins.

- - - - -

I have, to date, been pain-free.

I am noticing the tendency to feel full very quickly. One should set themselves the target of eating/drinking a 250mL shake in no less than 20 minutes ... maybe as long as 50-65 minutes subject to your personal comfort.

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior