Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you choose RNY over the sleeve?

For me it was wanting to lose weight a little faster than the sleeve.

I know I'll have to watch the excess skin and try to tone myself as I go on, but I'm ready to do this after 20 years of ups and downs.

The doctor said I could go either way, but I made a good choice at the same time.

Did you choose or was one recommended over the other?

For me it was wanting to lose weight a little faster than the sleeve.
I know I'll have to watch the excess skin and try to tone myself as I go on, but I'm ready to do this after 20 years of ups and downs.
The doctor said I could go either way, but I made a good choice at the same time.
Did you choose or was one recommended over the other?

I wanted the sleve but after finding out that it make your heartburn worst if you have acid reflex it was something i did not want to go threw life having i am now 8 days out of bypass its been rough but glad ive come all this way

RNY was recommended by my surgeon but he said I could choose either. I choose RNY because I wanted a one and done. I didn't have issues with GERD but I didn't want to chance having problems with reflux after the sleeve and having to have a revision to RNY. Very happy with my decision. Not worried about skin and such. I did this for my health as I was facing 2 knee replacements. Now I think I can survive without them - still can't jump but I can walk without pain and that's all I care about.

I've had severe reflux and issues with GERD for years so my surgeon said he could not, in good conscious, recommend the sleeve. He said he personally prefers RNY vs. sleeve for many reasons but problems with reflux and the amount of weight lost were his biggest issues for not recommending the sleeve. I'm waiting to hear back from insurance now and hoping to get a phone call by the end of the week to schedule pre-op and surgery hopefully the end of October or very beginning of November!

I wanted sleeve but surgeon recommended RNY cause I was so big - his words. I'm glad I did RNY cause they found a hernia and fixed it. And I have not had indigestion since surgery and I had it often prior to surgery. Of the people I know who have reached goal or are very close it's RNY.

My Dr. recommended it for me to hopefully reverse Diabetes (so far so good) & I had GERD, terrible reflux prior to surgery - thankful to say, NONE since surgery! 3 weeks out today :)

HW 205
SW 188
POST OP FROM IV FLUIDS 197
CW 177

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon said RNY was my best bet. I had severe GERD for years and had no relief of symptoms even with meds for it. I'm glad I did RNY because they found I had a huge hiatal hernia and repaired that too. The hernia is what caused the heart burn. Now, I haven't had reflux since the surgery.

First it was hearing so many people talk about GERD and the second was that it seems to be what's recommended for revisions. I have a phone appt with my doctor next week tor our first chat about this.

10 hours ago, jrsone said:

What made you choose RNY over the sleeve?

let's see:

- better weight loss

- won't give me debilitating GERD like the sleeve is likely to

- better long term sustainability

- better diabetes/blood sugar resolution

- better changes in gut microbiota

- similar reduction in hunger hormone ghrelin

- it's reversible but sleeve is not

the question should not be "why RNY?". the question should be "why EVER do the sleeve?".

RNY is still the Gold Standard for WLS. I work in healthcare so I believe in opting for a procedure that is the gold standard.

I didn't have much heartburn before surgery, only sometimes, but didn't want to have to worry about that.

I read about people revising from the sleeve to bypass. I didn't want to have to do that.

let's see:

- better weight loss

- better long term sustainability

- better diabetes/blood sugar resolution

- better changes in gut microbiota

- similar reduction in hunger hormone ghrelin

- it's reversible but sleeve is not

the question should not be "why RNY?". the question should be "why EVER do the sleeve?".

All good points but RNY is not reversible.

I went for a consult last month and told my surgeon that I have GERD and was interested in the sleeve. He did not blink an eye about performing the sleeve even though I've had severe esophagitis. I also inquired with a few surgeons in Mexico as an alternative to jumping through hoops with Aetna for six or more months. One lady I spoke with said her surgeon is adamant that I have RNY with my history of GERD, schatzki ring, esophagitis, hiatal hernia, diverticulitis, IBS, etc. I have quite the assortment of GI issues. Two other surgeons in Mexico said sleeve was ok.

Now, to tell my surgeon I think I should get an RNY instead??? I'll need to find out the out of pocket cost for the RNY now as well and compare to Mexico. I'd hate to make my GERD worse!

On 9/27/2017 at 7:36 AM, blondie66 said:

All good points but RNY is not reversible.

really? interesting. you should tell that to my surgeon, who told me it is absolutely reversible although no one ever needs it.

if you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk.

really? interesting. you should tell that to my surgeon, who told me it is absolutely reversible although no one ever needs it.
if you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk.

Whoa, no need to be hateful.
IMG_0209.JPG