Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you choose RNY over the sleeve?

Great thread for me right now -- I just discovered I have hiatal hernia and this is something I am now mulling. I normally wouldn't say that I have reflux, but after today's discovery, dammit, yes, I do, occasionally, more than I admit (even to myself), and usually in the middle of the night -- TUMS, swallow, swallow, swallow, etc. 1-2 times a week, even. The sleeve seems like a more benign surgery in my head, but it really isn't, is it?

On the topic of permanent, nothing is more permanent than getting 80% of your stomach pulled out. Do we need to fight about this with big fonts?

Does grehlin really reduce with bypass?

Gastric Bypass is reversible (our stomach is cut but the remaining stomach remains instead of being removed like the Sleeve) but it's done rarely in cases of significant complications.

https://www.sages.org/meetings/annual-meeting/abstracts-archive/laparoscopic-reversal-of-gastric-bypass-with-or-without-addition-of-a-sleeve-gastrectomy/

Conclusions: Laparoscopic reversal of gastric bypass is feasible and safe and can result in baseline level of functionality and resolution of symptoms. The addition of a sleeve gastrectomy is also feasible, and can serve to prevent weight regain after reversal.

33 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

On the topic of permanent, nothing is more permanent than getting 80% of your stomach pulled out. Do we need to fight about this with big fonts?

Does grehlin really reduce with bypass?

to answer your first question - yes, we do. when people pop off at the mouth spreading false information to prospective patients for no reason, it's definitely something to get worked up over. a skilled surgeon can reverse an RNY. a back-alley Mexican chop-shop probably can't. but again, the RNY is such a superior procedure it is virtually never even ASKED FOR, much less done. compare that to the constant flood of sleeve patients who have to have revision surgery to.... you guessed it.... RNY.

second question - yes, ghrelin reduces with bypass. one study showed it reduced MORE than the sleeve.

I went for a consult last month and told my surgeon that I have GERD and was interested in the sleeve. He did not blink an eye about performing the sleeve even though I've had severe esophagitis. I also inquired with a few surgeons in Mexico as an alternative to jumping through hoops with Aetna for six or more months. One lady I spoke with said her surgeon is adamant that I have RNY with my history of GERD, schatzki ring, esophagitis, hiatal hernia, diverticulitis, IBS, etc. I have quite the assortment of GI issues. Two other surgeons in Mexico said sleeve was ok.
Now, to tell my surgeon I think I should get an RNY instead??? I'll need to find out the out of pocket cost for the RNY now as well and compare to Mexico. I'd hate to make my GERD worse!

If u have GERD, the sleeve is NOT recommended because it will continue or be made worse with that procedure. GERD is all but eliminated with RNY because the part of the stomach causing the GERD is removed.

Next, no way would i get such a major surgery in Mexico when u have insurance in the US. I too have Aetna and among other things, the only way they would pay for my RNY is if I chose a facility and doc that was certified as 'Institute of Quality'. Reading all the threads showing such drastic differences in post op care, diet, education, etc, I am so grateful Aetna guided me to the facility and doc they did. My surgeon was director of bariatrics at mayo for many many years, for example. My point is, jump thru the "Aetna hoops"! You won't be sorry AND you'll have your doc in your town, not in another country, esp if something goes wrong after.

Good luck with ur decisions! [emoji4]

I suffer from a very heart burn.
Loose the weight faster.
Dislocated knee.
Fear of a “stretching your stomach” some say it’s impossible but hey is my fear.
I felt like there would be a change in a my taste buds as some people have mentioned more with the bypass so yes since I’m a quick eater I need this restrictions that this offer .
And most of all time is limited.. I can’t wait.

“There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, there are no limits.” —Michael Phelps

If u have GERD, the sleeve is NOT recommended because it will continue or be made worse with that procedure. GERD is all but eliminated with RNY because the part of the stomach causing the GERD is removed.

Next, no way would i get such a major surgery in Mexico when u have insurance in the US. I too have Aetna and among other things, the only way they would pay for my RNY is if I chose a facility and doc that was certified as 'Institute of Quality'. Reading all the threads showing such drastic differences in post op care, diet, education, etc, I am so grateful Aetna guided me to the facility and doc they did. My surgeon was director of bariatrics at mayo for many many years, for example. My point is, jump thru the "Aetna hoops"! You won't be sorry AND you'll have your doc in your town, not in another country, esp if something goes wrong after.

Good luck with ur decisions!

Was your Dr. in Scottsdale?

Was your Dr. in Scottsdale? [emoji848]

Indeed he is. Did u use the same surgeon?