Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a surgery buddy..Sept 26tg

I was also sleeved on 9/26. Glad to hear it went well for you! I apparently also impressed the hospital staff with my eagerness to get up and go on the first day. I was walking the halls by about 4 pm on the day of surgery(8:30am surgery). I had heard that walking helps with the gas pains so I was determined to get up and go.

However, I feel like my gas pains were minimal until yesterday. I was slowly lowering the amount of pain pills I was taking and yesterday was supposed to be the first day I stopped completely. But I went walking, and was in pain the whole time, and by the time I got home I just had to take one. Today it's the same. I have been sleeping in my bed on my sides(I'm a side sleeper) and have had no issues until yesterday, so I may try sleeping in the recliner tonight and see if that helps.

Question for everyone---how long did your surgery take? Mine was only 30 minutes---when they came out to tell my family, it freaked them out at first, they were thinking something must have gone wrong. But luckily it was good news. I just was surprised at the fact that it could be so short when I've heard it takes 90 minutes to an hour.

Hi eeiniebeenie, glad your surgery went well and you were determined to get up and going. So sorry to hear about the gas pains, I know how painful they can be. If your in pain after walking and need to take your pain medication, I don't see why not unless you've been advised not to by your doctor. I don't have any pain walking but I'm still battling gas when I eat or drink anything unless it's micro sized bite. Today is the first time I've felt hungry, the noises my stomach made were embarrassing!!!

I had a hiatal hernia repair with this surgery so I was in for 1 hour. Woke up from anesthesia almost right away and within 3 hours was walking.

Thanks, mustbeaspeciallady!

I haven't had the hungry grumbles but for the first few days after I came home I feel like that's all my stomach did was make weird noises!!!! Luckily it's gradually gone away almost completely.

Impressive that you were up within 3 hours! How much do you walk? I've been doing a slow 1.5 miles-2 miles daily on fairly flat surfaces around my neighborhood.

Well, they did tell me that once the anesthesia is out of my system I should have some hunger pains. Guess they were right! I know your glad those noises are gone, not sure if you had the really loud grumbles like I do (hope not).

I try to get 3,000 steps on my fit bit as suggested by my surgeon and once I hit that I'm back home and trying to get hydrated. Getting 64 ounces of liquid in with practically no stomach is very difficult for me.

What stage of the diet are you on? I'm on pureed foods and it's actually going better then I thought it would. No nausea or vomiting which is great!

Upon discharge, my surgeon put me on a full liquid diet. I think it's similar to the pureed. I am allowed to have Soups that I've put through the blender, pudding, yogurt, Tomato Soup, Protein Drinks, milk, etc. After I go back to see the surgeon next Tuesday, I believe they will upgrade me to the Soft/mushy stage which includes soft/cooked veggies, canned fruit and bananas, tuna and chicken salad, eggs, Beans, cottage cheese, etc. I'm most looking forward to the cottage cheese, it's one of my favorite foods!

I've had a little nausea, but not too bad. I don't really feel hungry at all yet, I have to make myself eat.

I'm hitting my 64 oz goal but it's not easy. I have to remember to sip constantly! And I used to drink a ton of Water, but like you said, there's just a tiny little stomach left now!

1 hour ago, Eeniebeenie said:

Upon discharge, my surgeon put me on a full liquid diet. I think it's similar to the pureed. I am allowed to have Soups that I've put through the blender, pudding, yogurt, Tomato Soup, Protein Drinks, milk, etc. After I go back to see the surgeon next Tuesday, I believe they will upgrade me to the Soft/mushy stage which includes soft/cooked veggies, canned fruit and bananas, tuna and chicken salad, eggs, Beans, cottage cheese, etc. I'm most looking forward to the cottage cheese, it's one of my favorite foods!

I've had a little nausea, but not too bad. I don't really feel hungry at all yet, I have to make myself eat.

I'm hitting my 64 oz goal but it's not easy. I have to remember to sip constantly! And I used to drink a ton of Water, but like you said, there's just a tiny little stomach left now!

Full liquids is the stage before pureed and to be honest, it seems as though I had less gas when I was on full liquids i too enjoy cottage cheese but i like it with fruit, I've also been putting my Protein Powder in it so i can meet my 60grams per day.

I initially was forcing myself to eat but today that loud rumble let me know it was time for food. I tried to drink it away but that didn't work.

Yeah, you are so right about constantly reminding yourself to sip. I've been doing that but still fall short a few ounces because once I eat, I'm full and you can't drink at the same time. I'm teaching myself to take smaller sips as I'm so use to guzzling Water. Prior to surgery I hadn't had any other beverage besides water since December 31st 2016.

Mine was 9/27. There were no drains. It was about an hour because apparently I had a lot of scar tissue from my 20 year prior gallbladder surgery.