Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two glass of red wine

I am on Protein Drinks and one solid meal a day 450 calories or lower. My liver is not enlarged as much because my BMI is at 34, At least that's what the doctor tells me. With that said, I'm curious if I can have one or two glasses of red wine today. My surgery is Wednesday

Oh please don't jeopardize your prep with the red wine. My BMI is low, but have had the fatty liver in the past, regardless. If your surgeon gets in and things are "right" he/she won't proceed. It's truly not worth the risk.

That said, you are an adult, so make the choice you are comfortable with. I've had to have a lot of surgery. and just feel strongly that the prep is there for a really good reason, besides torment1

Lol your that desperate for two Glasses of wine you'd have it 3 days before surgery? Yikes. Good luck with your journey. Sounds like it will be an interesting one.

The question is why ? Why do you want to this close? Is red wine on your pre op plan ? No. So why would anyone here advice you to go against your plan. You haven't even started yet. And your already wanting to not listen to your plan.

Edited by dreamingsmall

2 hours ago, LillieDuFran said:

If your surgeon gets in and things are "right" he/she won't proceed. It's truly not worth the risk.

Most surgeons will proceed even if the liver is enlarged. Once they open you up, most wouldn't walk away from a $10,000 payday. Cash rules everything around us.

Here's the caveat...rather than a minimally invasive laporascopic sleeve, they'll do an open procedure and use a liver retractor to ensure the enlarged liver is out of their way while operating.

An open procedure entails a large incision, lengthier recovery, and increased chance for infection. For me, the glasses of wine wouldn't be worth it.

Aw bummer, I guess wine is not on my menu. I'm so nervous I need to relax and that helps, but you're right it's not worth the risk. Thank you

So glad you decided not to....the risk is just not worth the relax. I'd suggest hot tea and a warm bath, or aromatherapy. But my go to would be Xanax, lol.

Just so you'd know I am very nervous about the surgery. I was merely asking your opinion in hopes there was someone that did have wine two days before the surgery and all was well. Dreamingsmall, and all others there was not any harm done and there was nothing wrong with me asking. Thanks for all of your comments, much appreciated. I am still on track and following the PLAN :)

I have another question for those who have had the surgery and was successful in loosing at least 40-50 pounds. Did you exercise everyday single day and did you have a lot of excess fat left around your stomach area? Thanks in advance for your comments

3 hours ago, W2B said:

Just so you'd know I am very nervous about the surgery. I was merely asking your opinion in hopes there was someone that did have wine two days before the surgery and all was well. Dreamingsmall, and all others there was not any harm done and there was nothing wrong with me asking. Thanks for all of your comments, much appreciated. I am still on track and following the PLAN :)

I have another question for those who have had the surgery and was successful in loosing at least 40-50 pounds. Did you exercise everyday single day and did you have a lot of excess fat left around your stomach area? Thanks in advance for your comments

No one said there was any harm in asking. We have all had the surgery and obvcourse was nervous to. Post of there will be many excuses for wanting to go of plan. But you need to make sure your in the right frame of mind for this. It doesn't matter if someone else had wine 2 days before surgery and was well doesn't mean it will be the same case for you.. But I don't think many people would consider being that risky. Which is why I said you really need to look into why your mind didn't want a nice relaxing bath to relax instead of going of plan. I wasn't judging you but some of us occasionally indulge in self sabotaging behavior without realising. I'm sure you were aware it is quite huge to risk your whole surgery over wine.

Second question. I haven't lost 50lbs so can't answer but. Follow what your surgeon suggests for excersise. I'm 30+ lbs down in 11 weeks no excersise yet

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:22 PM, W2B said:

I've lost 110 pounds total and I do not exercise everyday. My goal is usually to hit the gym 3-4 times a week but with two small children and a full time job, I'm lucky to make it 2 times a week.

I do have some excess skin around my upper belly area, like where my muffin top is. I wear compression garments to help smooth out my silhouette