Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Week Follow Up

Hello,

I just saw my dietitian and my surgeon for my two week follow up. The surgeon said that he uses the same measuring device for all his patients, so my sleeve should be the same size as my wife's. He said I may have had less swelling than her and that is why I was able to drink more right after surgery. He told me that I need to be taking my supplements and hitting my Water and Protein goals. My dietitian said I should be consuming only 1000 calories per day. He said I should only have half a cup of food when I eat. I have been taking in about 1500-2000 calories per day. 1000 seems like too little and very hard to hit. He said I should expect to lose about 1.5 pound per week. That also seems very slow.

What on earth could you possibly be consuming to get 2000 calories at 2 weeks postop?

Even if you drank 2 quarts of whole milk, that'd only be 1200....

Thats a good question.

Lol so how do you know what you're eating calorie wise? Do you track it? Are you weighing and measuring?
I could drink a lot too but man, once I started eating Protein my restriction kicked in hard!

I haven't been weighing it out.
I did buy a measuring cup to measure out 1/2 a cup.
I am hoping once I start dense Protein I won't be so hungry all the time and I can keep my calories low.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

I don't know. I am wondering the same thing. Supposedly our ghrelin production is less so we won't feel hunger. However, I am pretty hungry except right after I eat. Then I am hungry like two hours later.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

At 2 weeks out from surgery I was consuming 400-600 calories. I didn't up my calories to 1000 until 8 months out.

I’m supposed to lose a pound a day! 24 lbs down in 28 days but I had a stall. Your calorie intake is too much. I transition to solids next week and will bump my intake to 1000 because I start my heavy workouts. You should probably be getting 700-900 max depending on which stage you’re in.

I think a lot of our hunger is head hunger. I’m waaaaay more hungry than I thought I would be but I drink at least 15 oz of Water and reevaluate whether I’m actually hungry. I usually am not.

I track all my calories on my fitness pal. Allowed 6 oz for meals and 2 oz for Snacks.

I feel like I'm hungry every once in a while, but I drink some Water and remind myself that dinner time isn't too far away.

My stomach churns and growls once in a while, and I used to think that was a signal that it was time to eat, but now I just figure it is part of the healing process.

Edited by ZinNH

I feel like I'm hungry every once in a while, but I drink some Water and remind myself that dinner time isn't too far away.
My stomach churns and growls once in a while, and I used to think that was a signal that it was time to eat, but now I just figure it is part of the healing process.

I agree. It takes some mindfulness to realize when you’re really hungry vs stomach sounds or head hunger. Like I think I said I drink some water or Protein and think for a bit. If I’m hungry, I grab a banana or grapefruit cup.

I’m 2 weeks out also. I don’t feel hunger. I just have made a schedule and i am consciously sticking to it. Even drinking ... I also try to pay attention to the feeling between my boobs — the full thing —. I’m no expert I’m just making it day by day with the help of groups and people that have been through it!

I’m 2 weeks out also. I don’t feel hunger. I just have made a schedule and i am consciously sticking to it. Even drinking ... I also try to pay attention to the feeling between my boobs — the full thing —. I’m no expert I’m just making it day by day with the help of groups and people that have been through it!

Would you share your schedule?

I need a schedule for eating. It makes me sound like a lazy POS but I’m currently not working since I got diagnosed with autoimmune + sleeve + hernia repair once BMI is below 30. I have insomnia and stay up really late and can sleep till 2-4pm. Messed up, I know.

I end up eating one snack, 2-3 Protein Shakes and dinner around midnight. I wake up and feel so behind on my day.

Katie Bear... at a month out it would be good to start transitioning away from so many Protein Shakes. It doesn't have to be immediately.. a good way to use them is eat 3 meals and a snack, and use the shakes to fill in any deficit.

If you want to change your sleep schedule, the best way to do that is by using an alarm clock. Wake up an hour earlier each day. 10 hours before wake up, turn off the screens.. computers, tv, phones, and minimize your house lights. Soothing music and a warm bath (when permitted for your incisions) can help set the tone for sleep. Reading something boring can help too.