Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight training vs Cardio + Sports gear advice, please?

I have been working out since I went back to work after my surgery (3.21.17) and the good news is that I am getting much stronger and many of my ailments have significantly reduced. However, exercising has been posing some problems lately. I have huge hanging flaps of skin/fat flopping all over (arms, legs, abdomen, etc) and it's downright embarrassing when I'm trying to do push-ups in class and my stomach hits the ground before I even get halfway through. Ugh! I just keep focusing on crunches and hope for the best. I can't really run, or even do jumping jacks comfortably, everything jiggles and bounces with a lag (and I do have a very good sport bra). It's painful. So I stick with the hand weights and do modified (cheater) jumping jacks and burpees.

I know I will need skin removal, but that's a long way off. Does anyone have any advice on gear or clothing or exercises that will help reduce the flappy-flopping all over? Is there something that has worked well for you?

1 hour ago, Tiamka said:

Does anyone have any advice on gear or clothing or exercises that will help reduce the flappy-flopping all over? Is there something that has worked well for you?

Several of the weight resistance machines at the gym have helped. Just ask the "wandering" gym supervisor what he/she would recommend for you. Be frank. They are, generally, very helpful. (They want you to stay a reliable returning gym user.)

Compression workout gear from Under Armor is very expensive, but keeps the extra skin from flapping all over the place.

The caveat is you'll need to wear long-sleeved compression shirts if your arms are problematic, and compression pants if your legs are the problem.

Also, a Spanx shaper might keep the belly skin from plopping to the floor while doing push-ups.

I have lost 101 pounds. I have massive bat wings, but am not ready for surgery. I use ace bandages on my upper arms to hold them in. I wear either Fila or Nike workout bottoms which have some compression in them because the thighs are a jiggling. I understand Spanx makes some mid-section stuff for working out but I haven't tried it - the tummy is the least of my problems.

I took up fencing. I work out in the gym regularly - using both a trainer and taking classes. So my attitude has been, I'm trying to make myself healthier and I don't give a hoot about what you think about how I look.

Make an appointment with a trainer to help develop your routine with weights and figure out exercises which help with cardio but help you avoid the jiggle.

Best of luck!

On 9/15/2017 at 3:55 PM, Rainbow_Warrior said:

Just ask the "wandering" gym supervisor what he/she would recommend for you.

Lol. Had a good chuckle cause that's how it usually is, them wandering.

Edited by Newme17

43 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Had a good chuckle cause that's how it usually is, them wandering

The wandering reference was that, at the gym I used to go to, there were three classes of employee/attedant.

1. the person who runs a class or is an active personal trainer

2. a desk-bound "clerk" who is a receptionist or enrolment person

3. everyone else. The wanderers who close doors, mop messes, put weights away, wipe benches, etc.

2 hours ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

The wandering reference was that, at the gym I used to go to, there were three classes of employee/attedant.

1. the person who runs a class or is an active personal trainer

2. a desk-bound "clerk" who is a receptionist or enrolment person

3. everyone else. The wanderers who close doors, mop messes, put weights away, wipe benches, etc.

LOL Totally not what I would think of...really, and technically, someone who is works there and wandering around in the gym. HA! I see it all the time.

Compression garments are my friends. I've found some decent ones at thrift stores and they reduce the bouncing significantly.

Definitely compression gear! Under armor makes some good stuff!

I'll look into getting some compression gear. Thank you all so much for all of your wonderful advice! - Time to go shopping... again :)