Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Recommend DS for Husband & Wife



Recommended Posts

My wife & I have decided to have DS on the same day, is this a good idea? We have had all our dr. appts. & waiting on insurance review for approval. We are both having the DS procedure October 17, pending insurance approval.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, rembo69 said:

My wife & I have decided to have DS on the same day, is this a good idea? We have had all our dr. appts. & waiting on insurance review for approval. We are both having the DS procedure October 17, pending insurance approval.

You both will be fine. You'll be sore and tired for about two weeks. Be aware He will lose faster than you. It's just how men's bodies work. But you both will hit goal. You might need counseling at some point. WLS changes you completely body and mind. Unfortunately divorce is high among patients. Doing it together is great. Be careful not to be competitive, stay supportive, not critical, stay complimentary. Use words of encouragement and admiration.

Avoid saying things like "should you be eating/drinking that?"

No one can truly prepare you for the impact WLS has on you mentally. Initially as you melt fat your body will flood with the estrogen that has been stored there. Both of you will be moody and impatient and frustrated. Your changing body will seem like it's changing slowly but will drive you nuts as your clothes start to hang. And your pants fall down. Lol get a nice belt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was glad my husband was around to do things for me the first couple of days home, but other than that, I was fine on my own (and probably would have survived without hubby there the first couple of days). But as long as you know the first couple of days might be tricky (maybe...), you should be OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you have a friend or family available for support (on call in case they are needed). If one of you has complications, the other may not be able to drive to and from the hospital the first week, etc.

Do all the heavy lifting before surgery (like bringing in the big bags of pet food for a 4-6 week supply). 4-6 weeks is a long time where neither of you can pick up more than 10lbs. If you have a big dog that pulls on the leash, who will walk it?

Examine your own day to day lifestyle, constantly asking.. if I can't pick up weight or reach my feet, how would this work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2017 at 1:45 PM, dsdesigna said:

You both will be fine. You'll be sore and tired for about two weeks. Be aware He will lose faster than you. It's just how men's bodies work. But you both will hit goal. You might need counseling at some point. WLS changes you completely body and mind. Unfortunately divorce is high among patients. Doing it together is great. Be careful not to be competitive, stay supportive, not critical, stay complimentary. Use words of encouragement and admiration.

Avoid saying things like "should you be eating/drinking that?"

No one can truly prepare you for the impact WLS has on you mentally. Initially as you melt fat your body will flood with the estrogen that has been stored there. Both of you will be moody and impatient and frustrated. Your changing body will seem like it's changing slowly but will drive you nuts as your clothes start to hang. And your pants fall down. Lol get a nice belt.

I get the impression Rembo69 is a male, not a female. He stated, "My wife and I" when he posted, but I could be wrong. He probably won't have estrogen flooding his body. I like what you said about not comparing their weight loss to each other. Men and women do lose at different rates. I agree that I think they'll both be fine getting it on the same day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Strivingforbetter said:

I get the impression Rembo69 is a male, not a female. He stated, "My wife and I" when he posted, but I could be wrong. He probably won't have estrogen flooding his body. I like what you said about not comparing their weight loss to each other. Men and women do lose at different rates. I agree that I think they'll both be fine getting it on the same day.

Actually men have estrogen too and it's stored in the fat. He is likely to be just as moody and irritable as any female. I have friends who had WLS at the same time and had that experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2017 at 1:45 PM, dsdesigna said:

Be aware He will lose faster than you. It's just how men's bodies work.

(Pretty sure rembo69 is as a male. I guess we'll find out if he replies.)

Rembo69: So happy for you and your journey you're about to begin. Please keep us posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×