Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded in 09 & looking at revision

Hi All,

I was banded back in 2009 with a starting weight of 252lbs. In 3 years I was down to 149lbs. From 2012-2015 I got back up to the 200lb mark, yuck. I’ve had major food intolerances and heartburn ect. I had surgery for something else in 2015 and that surgeon took a look at my band and said “it doesn’t look right” so I’m suspect it has slipped. I have my consult for the revision surgery on Friday 9/15.

Some questions:

• What was the recovery like for you?
  • How long did it take from your consult to the surgery?
  • Anyone with Cigna? Can you share your experience with insurance?
  • What is the post op diet like? Similar to the band?
  • When were you sleeved and how much have you lost so far?
  • Do you recommend the sleeve?

Hi All,
I was banded back in 2009 with a starting weight of 252lbs. In 3 years I was down to 149lbs. From 2012-2015 I got back up to the 200lb mark, yuck. I’ve had major food intolerances and heartburn ect. I had surgery for something else in 2015 and that surgeon took a look at my band and said “it doesn’t look right” so I’m suspect it has slipped. I have my consult for the revision surgery on Friday 9/15.
Some questions:

Hey There,

I was banded several years ago. I lost around 40 pounds and never moved past that point. My port flipped almost immediately, which made fills a living hell. Ultimately, my band caused a hiatal hernial and I was thrilled to get it out. I was so over getting food stuck and that awful spinning in my chest feeling

Recovery: My surgery was a band to sleeve conversion with hernia fix. I had oodles of scar tissue from the band that was also removed. Immediately following surgery I was in agony from the gas trapped in my chest. But as you know, everyone is different with this. Week one was pretty sore and then got progressively better.

Timeline: Depends on your surgeon. Mine is the leading surgeon on the east coast, so I waited to get him again. It probably took about 6 weeks until I got my procedure.

Insurance: I don't have Cigna. My insurance approved within 2 days of having all required documentation- great experience!

Post Op Diet: Same as the band, but every phase is now 2 weeks instead on one. First week was the hardest for me. You really have to baby your sleeve while it heals. Its much more involved then the band.

Weight Loss: Its been about 3 weeks and Im down 25 pounds.

Recommend?: Totally! Im loving it so far! Totally different experience!

On 9/17/2017 at 11:22 PM, Slimpossible said:

Hey There,

I was banded several years ago. I lost around 40 pounds and never moved past that point. My port flipped almost immediately, which made fills a living hell. Ultimately, my band caused a hiatal hernial and I was thrilled to get it out. I was so over getting food stuck and that awful spinning in my chest feeling

Recovery: My surgery was a band to sleeve conversion with hernia fix. I had oodles of scar tissue from the band that was also removed. Immediately following surgery I was in agony from the gas trapped in my chest. But as you know, everyone is different with this. Week one was pretty sore and then got progressively better.

Timeline: Depends on your surgeon. Mine is the leading surgeon on the east coast, so I waited to get him again. It probably took about 6 weeks until I got my procedure.

Insurance: I don't have Cigna. My insurance approved within 2 days of having all required documentation- great experience!

Post Op Diet: Same as the band, but every phase is now 2 weeks instead on one. First week was the hardest for me. You really have to baby your sleeve while it heals. Its much more involved then the band.

Weight Loss: Its been about 3 weeks and Im down 25 pounds.

Recommend?: Totally! Im loving it so far! Totally different experience!

Thank you for the response! I just had some Fluid taken out Friday and my port is not 100% flipped but it's def pretty titled. It was tough for them to get in there. I meet with the surgeon on 10/3!

On 9/12/2017 at 8:18 AM, breprih said:

Hi All,

Some questions:

• My recovery was not typical.. I came home with chronic bronchitis and had one of the most violent coughs I've ever had in my life that last about two weeks. On top of all that, I had horrible scar tissue all over my band, liver and spleen from the lapband. I had an endoscopy prior to surgery that showed no indication of esophageal dilation, no erosion, or any symptoms of scar tissue. My 45 minute surgery took 5 hours because of all the adhesions and I lost a lot of blood.
    • 2 months
    • No insurance
    • Post op was much different that the band for me. It took about 3 weeks before I could get much more than liquids down, and even at that point I still struggled to even get in enough Water. You just feel so full all the time.
    • July 12th of 2017, down 40 lbs since surgery. Been stalled for 3 weeks so that means I lost that 40 lbs in 6 weeks. The stall isn't a bad thing. I really needed time to let my body reshuffle.. and I've lost several inches in the stall time.
    • Would do it again in a heartbeat!!!!