Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hurricanes and Houston = eating 24/7

Beginning Friday, August 25, I was in my house for SEVEN days without leaving. I was scheduled to go out of town that weekend and it was still up in the air what would happen in Houston once Harvey hit, so I didn't bother to do any grocery shopping. Well, that was a mistake. My new motto - ALWAYS BE PREPARED FOR THE UNEXPECTED! I ended up not going out of town because of my pups (who were being watched by my neighbor) because I didn't want to leave them "alone" for too long and wasn't sure if I could get back into town. Okay, that was a good call. I literally sat in my house by myself (with the exception of an evening with neighbors to watch football) for seven days. Everything was closed so I had to live off of what I had and donations of my my sweet friends because of my lack of preparedness. Due to stress of the hurricane coming, preparing my house, worrying about my family in Corpus Christi where Harvey was to hit, I barely slept. Being tired, anxious, and bored is not a good combo for dieting. I literally ate all day long, everyday. The good news, is it would be a few almonds, a few grapes, a piece of cheese, etc. Then I ran out of the good options and was resorting to crap food - popcorn, crackers, etc. Fortunately for me, the anxiety of the event led me running around the house, up and down stairs, etc., constantly checking to make sure nothing was leaking or Water wasn't coming in. I cleaned all my closets and got rid of all my old clothes, put shelf paper down and cleaned out my pantry, cleaned the house two or three times, did some mending, and had a couple of solo dance parties. The aftermath of being home for 10 days was not being on my eating plan, and not doing my routine exercise. I'm fortunate in that I only gained one pound. As of 3 days ago, I am back on my eating and exercise plan and am so HAPPY!! I have never missed "normal" so much in my life. I also feel like I won the lottery; I lost neither my car nor my house while so many others suffered so much.

Those in the path of Irma are in my thoughts and prayers!

Glad you were safe. We were stuck here through Harvey and that's when I got off track. I'm waiting to get insurance clearance and a surgery date. It I was trying hard to kick some of my bad habits. Needless to say I ate constantly during Harvey and now I'm struggling. The constant anxiety about the surgery is making it worse :-(