Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr.Mejias in Athens Ga

I was really shocked to read pattychat's thread about Dr.Mejias.I first saw Dr.Mejias in July of 2007 and I had my Lapband on Oct 02 .

I had no problems what so ever.

His nurse Janet and his office manager went out of their way to help me with scheduling ,insurance and preop appointments.I would recommend Dr.Mejias to anyone.

It sounds to me like pattychat has a problem with paying her bill.And in this world nothing is free.

<p>Yes, Janet was very nice. I had no problems with the people at Dr. Mejias. Only his one week notice to pay before surgery. I'm sure all of the people there (including Dr. Mejias) are wonderful people. This is not a people issue... just a policy issue. I had been in the banding process for 8 months. Surely, I could have been told before one week before my surgery. That's all. The OM was very helpful when I had called for the 5th time because I was in pain with my gallbladder. She got the ball rolling on that one and for that, I thank her.</p>

I am seeing Dr. Mejias also and he is wonderful. I am going through the process of getting the lap band and I could not ask for a better experience than with his office. I was afraid at first but now I am going full sped ahead. I met with Dr. Mejias and he was very nice and professional, so was his staff. I don't understand how Pattychat could come on this forum and put him down because she felt bullied. If this surgery was worth eight months of going through the hoops to get it, why let one week stop you? Asking for payment up front is not bullying you. He is entitled to payment. Pay the man and get over yourself.

Asking for payment up front is not bullying you....

I felt as thought it were because I had been in the process for 8 months and then ONE WEEK before surgery they tell me I have to pay upfront or no surgery. Why not tell me that 8 months ago and I could have saved. Surely you all know what its like saving for Christmas. Get over myself? Is that really what I need to do? If I had been thinking of myself I would have begged, borrowed, what ever it took to come up with the money in a week but that would have definately been putting my family second. Am I truely the ONLY ONE who has a problem with the week issue? If I'm wrong I'd say so. My attorney feels I'm not wrong and is working on it. It may very well cost me what I would have spent on the lapband but I feel it was wrong to wait until one week before to ask for the money and I'll go down fighting. Again, It's not the upfront payment that I'm upset about... it's the week's notice and the office sharing info about me. It's just wrong.

Amazing,you did not want to pay a physician what YOUR insurance policy said you would owe, for a life changing surgery that would help you mentally and physically but you somehow have the $ to get an attorney. You got some major problems.I feel sorry for your kids . How about making yourself healthier for them instead of trying to GET EVEN!!!! So much energy into hating. Its amazing how people actually have the money but only want to spend it on what they want.

Laurend.. did you read this lastest one by Usedtbfat. Check your PM. She feels sorry for MY kids. ;) I've done one of the things you suggested and working on the other two.

Laurend.. did you read this lastest one by Usedtbfat. Check your PM. She feels sorry for MY kids. ;) I've done one of the things you suggested and working on the other two.
I did. It definitely doesn't help her image to yank your kids into all of this, and criticize your parenting skills. Good luck!

I'm going to say this and that's it.

Thank you all for your wonderful support through this. I've had many of you call with support, post with support, Thank you.

I will say this about Dr. Mejias and not return to lapbandtalk.com.

I began the lapband process in March of 07. I do not need to go through each step of the process.. you all know it. 7 days before my surgery, the office called and said I had to pay "the part insurance would not pay or no surgery." I felt this was unfair and did not have the surgery and will take measures to make sure this happens to no one else. Those of you who know me know that I've been through much bigger things. When someone decided to attack my parenting skills, it affirmed that I did the right thing. The person who made this comment doesn't even know me but decided to make this personal. It is not. It is about POLICY. But,on a personal note..

I did have gallbladder surgery by Dr. Mejias and that surgery went exceptionally well. Janet, Crystal, Anna,Heather, at Dr. Mejias' office were all wonderful, however, someone in his office (not named above) decided to take all of this personally. That came about because I made a complaint because while in the process of getting gall bladder surgery, I was sent for my pre-opt 4 hours too early. After waiting for over an hour, I asked how much longer and was told my appointment was still 3 hours away. The receptionist called Dr. Mejias' office (NOT ME) and asked why I had been sent there hours before my surgery. It was at that point that I spoke with the OM and she argueed with me. I'm on the phone at the hospital and she argues with me. I had called a total of 8 times ( I have them documented with names) tying to find out about my gall bladder surgery. I left messages and my phone calls were not returned. (Exception being Heather) She was GREAT but from what I understand no longer works there. When I complaind about this I was told by the OM that it was "unfortunate that people got vacations." I told her that it was NOT unfortunate that people got vacations, that vacations were a WONDERFUL thing but what was unfortunate was that I had been in pain for 3 months, had called many times, and now here I stand at the hospital, confused... at the wrong time, because I couldn't get any one to return my calls. At my post op, Dr. Mejias brought this up to me.. I did NOT bring it up. Janet can attest to this. I simply told him I thought it was wrong for his OM

to argue with me while I was at the hospital. I wouldn't have brought it up. I didn't even tell him about how many times I had called and left messages that were never returned. I had called the day before my gall bladder surgery was scheduled and asked for the 8th time about my surgery. I said "My surgery is tomorrow and I really need some information about it". That was at 9:30am the day before my surgery and was told I should come by, get my paper work and go to the hospital for my pre-opt. I did. I got to the hospital at 11:00 but my post-opt schedule wasn't until 3. As for the surgery, when I finally got it, it went off without a hitch and Dr. Mejias seems to be an excellent surgeon. If you are considering lapband surgery in Athens, GA, by all means, consider Dr. Mejias. I do feel he is an excellent surgeon, but please ask up front if you will have to pay before the surgery is done. I have never paid for surgery before so I didn't know to ask this question. I can not stress enough how much it will hurt if you go through the whole process only to be told ONE WEEK before that you have to pay upfront. A friend of mine who was going to go to surgery with me, called the office in my defense, and was told (among other things) that most people "surprisingly" came up with the money. I, too, could have but felt if I didn't stand up for something I felt was wrong, someone would come along who couldn't and would be crushed by this. You all know the psychological stuff you go through while waiting. To have it pulled a week before is tough.

Lap dancer talked about signs. I have to accept this as a sign that for whatever reason, I was not suppose to have this surgery. The last affirmation of this was when usedtbfat attacked my parenting skills.

My children were born with disabilities that required my full time attention. I quit work, did without many things, in order to work with my children. I do not regret that decision, and have recently returned to work. I have NEVER not paid a bill in my life. My children are doing very well today and have been told over and over that I'm am a big reason for this. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor a few years ago and some of my friends asked me what else will you have to go through. Having my lapband surgery pulled away from me a week before surgery was tough but it was in no way as tough as other things I have been through. "That which does not kill us makes us stonger".

The truth always comes out at the end... and what comes around goes around. I sleep very well at night knowing I did the right thing and hopefully this won't happen to anyone else. I'm used to being an advocate. I've advocated for my children my whole life. Advocates don't always get what they want, but they do tend to affect policy and get things changed for others. Only Dr. Mejias' futrure patients will know this. IF you are being told more than ONE WEEK before surgery that you have to pay the part insurance does not pay then I will have made a differnce. I hope so.

Now, this to Dr. Mejias' office. If I have said anything "false or inaccurate" prove it. I'm going to give you a chance, so gather your proof. I have mine.

I have been instrumental in changing policy for children with disabilities in this state. I will continue with those efforts as well as my efforts to change the policy at Dr. Mejias office. My best to all of Dr. Mejias's patients. It is my opinion that he is an excellent surgeon. Good luck to you all.